Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 14:17   #1
abs
BHPian

*ALERT* : Indian Thieves appear to be unlocking cars using the Spectrum Analyzer

Just received this message from AASI ( Automobile Association of South India)

Any TBHPians personally experienced this mode theft?

Dear Member,

1. CAR LOCK - VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The following information passed on by our committee Member Mr.D.V.J.Vittal our car lock is Circulated for your kind attention.

Car lock-do it from the door control

*How to Lock Your Car and Why ?*

I locked my car. As I walked away I heard my car door unlock. I went back and locked my car again three times. Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I would hear it unlock again!! Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there was no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation. I quickly chucked the errand I was on, jumped in my car and sped away. I went straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into cars. Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar happening.

While travelling, my friend's son stopped at a roadside rest to use the bathroom. When he came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later, someone had gotten into his car and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase......you name it. He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into, the police told him he had been a victim of the latest robbery tactic -- there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device.

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car -- that way if here is someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim, it will not be you.*

Note: The receiving device is known as a "Spectrum Analyzer" and the signal can be recorded and played back to unlock the car door. True!*

This article is sourced from : Thieves Clone Remote Key Codes to Unlock Cars - Urban Legends

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2011 at 10:04. Reason: Adding link to source of email
abs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 14:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Remote Lock fitted Cars - Theft through Spectram Analyser

Is this really so easy as it is made out to be?

I guess if the do this they cannot start the car or even this is possible?
Old 13th September 2011, 14:42   #3
BHPian

Just googled it and couldnt find anything more.Its not tough to believe that somebody can tap into the signal but dechipering it and all that playing back stuff seems to be straight from Bond movie.Will be watching this thread to get some more info.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:54   #4
BHPian

Re: *ALERT* : Indian Thieves appear to be unlocking cars using the Spectrum Analyzer

This reminds me of the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" where this kinda gizmogiri is used to steal cars!
Old 13th September 2011, 14:57   #5
BHPian

This is scary. If its that easy, then its really a good practice to start locking the car through key instead of remote if you are parking the car in a public place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I guess if the do this they cannot start the car or even this is possible?
I think they cannot start the car with that device.
From what I understand from this is, spectrum analyzer could only capture the signals while you remote lock your car and then can play back the same signals to unlock.
So, the main target will be the valuables inside the car if you are just few mins away from your car but if they have enough time to fiddle around your car, who knows!!!
Old 13th September 2011, 15:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: *ALERT* : Indian Thieves appear to be unlocking cars using the Spectrum Analyzer

The AASI has merely forwarded you an int'l email that has been doing the rounds since 2008.

Sample Link

Seeing the language used, I had no doubt that those user claims aren't from India.

Still, I do have concerns. How difficult would it be to hack into the car's security system? While I'm certain OEM systems would have some level of encryption, would 3,000 - 5,000 rupee after-market security systems also adopt best practices? Even if this spectrum analyser - whenever it makes it's way to India - costs 1 lakh rupees, the return on investment to a thief is only 3 - 4 successful theft attempts.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:29   #7
BHPian

hey abs...can you just check the link to page of urban legends...its already declared as false statement/email. Pls read carefully and post.

Mods pls close this thread.

Forwarded email urges vehicle owners to lock doors manually instead of using a remote key, otherwise thieves might be able to clone the security code (a technique known as 'code grabbing') and gain entry to the vehicle.
Description: Email flier
Circulating since: June 2008
Email example contributed by J. Meyer, July 24, 2008:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks