Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 18:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

A strange problem cropped up in my 05 elantra crdi today. While driving, the battery light came on and the power steering suddenly had no assist. It became rock hard, as it is before turning on the ignition. Everything else was working fine - brakes, ac, stereo etc. Stopped the car, turned off the ignition, restarted, and voila, steering was fine again and no battery light. Drove cautiously thereafter, and the issue did crop up once again. This time it disappeared in a couple of seconds without having to turn off the ignition.
Has anyone faced this issue in an elantra or any other car? Could it be an issue with the power steering belt? Electricals? Any inputs will be appreciated.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Elantra crdi steering issue

Elantra CRDi had a common belt for PS, Alternator etc, since at the time when the PS loses assist the charging light also comes up, get the drive belt checked.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense. The drive belt was always a bit noisy, but the guys at hyundai said it was nothing to worry about. Will get it checked. Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it's a steering issue. I had the same problem with my 7 year old Santro. I would lose the power-assist in the steering-wheel and the car would just die on me, while moving! I had to start it and get it going, and it would stall in 2nd gear while accelerating, soon after the first stall! It happened over and over again.

Does your car stop, as in stall while on the move, or is it only the power-steering?

It has been sorted out though. Apparently, it has something to do with the Crankshaft Sensor and the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor). They also said that the spark plugs and plug wires were faulty and contributed to the problem. We has to get these things replaced and the bill came up to Rs. 6000 exactly!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ng-santro.html

I don't have the bill with me, at the moment. I shall acquire it tomorrow and pen down the list of things I had to get changed.

Don't worry. it isn't a very serious issue.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd September 2011 at 00:00.
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nope, car doesn't stall. Just the assist to the power steering cuts out on some rare (until now) occasions. It's a diesel, so spark plugs don't factor in.
It all points to a drive belt issue, but will get a thorough check up done in any case.
@anshuman: any idea what's the damage for a drive belt replacement? Might even be an issue with the pulley - had faced that with my scorpio.
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Nope, car doesn't stall. Just the assist to the power steering cuts out on some rare (until now) occasions. It's a diesel, so spark plugs don't factor in.
It all points to a drive belt issue, but will get a thorough check up done in any case.
@anshuman: any idea what's the damage for a drive belt replacement? Might even be an issue with the pulley - had faced that with my scorpio.
Oops yeah, I was under the impression it was a petrol Elantra. Didn't quite read it clearly enough. My bad.

Do get a thorough diagnosis of your car's engine. How old is your car and how much has it done?
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
How old is your car and how much has it done?
6 years old, done around 75k kms. Been with me for over a year, and this is the first "issue" I've faced.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
6 years old, done around 75k kms. Been with me for over a year, and this is the first "issue" I've faced.
That is quite a number of miles it has notched up there. Do get a thorough engine diagnosis done. You will get a comprehensive list of what parts might need to be changed, now, or perhaps sometime in the future. Don't worry, a few regular running parts might need replacement. Not uncommon with older cars, especially diesels.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't really remember how much i paid for the drivebelt. Let me check the old service bills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks