Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 20:01   #1
BHPian

Skoda Superb 1.8 Tsi ECU remap

hello,

I have been recently thinking of getting the ecu of my 2010 skoda superb re mapped

it is a 1.8 tsi A/T.

The issue is that i have been advised against it by some tbhp members as the 7 speed dsg may not be able to handle more than 250nm of torque with is already the stock torque figure.

on checking on the skoda website i found that the 3.6 petrol is also fitted with a 7 speed dsg and produces 350nm on torque.

If someone could please shed some light on this issue.

And advise if i should go for a re map or a tuning box.
rohanGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 22:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb 1.8 Tsi ECU remap

The 3.6 has a 6 speed DSG and not a 7 speed. The 7 speed can only handle 250nm, it may handle more but then the reliability becomes even worse. There are some cars running remaps, but not too many. Do check out revo-technik, or shark performance. Also do some more research on briskoda.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:12   #3
BHPian

My bad

checked again the 3.6 has a 6 speed.

So you advise against it.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanGT View Post

checked again the 3.6 has a 6 speed.

So you advise against it.

I'm not advising against it. Just saying do your research first. Check UK websites, and sites like briskoda. I do remember reading about some remaps done to a 7 speed DSG.
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

All the engine are designed to withstand the plus figure of performance. Company are bound to detune it for efficiency and emission.

Go ahead if you feel necessary, but the tuner should be a competent guy who knows what he does, not the hit and trail type.
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This seven-speed DSG is used in smaller front-wheel-drive cars with smaller displacement engines with lower torque outputs, such as the latest Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Polo Mk5, and the new SEAT Ibiza, due to it having a maximum torque handling capacity of 250 N·m (180 lb·ft).
Source: Direct-Shift Gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks like the GB can handle only 250NM of torque. In addition to it, if I consider the inherent un-reliable nature (going by reports), and the astronomical replacement cost, of the DSG, I would not go for a remap.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:55   #7
BHPian

Why is it that only DSGs have this limitation on torque ? What about other autogear cars ? If the Manual 1.8 TSI's ecu is remapped for more power, would it have repercusions on the clutch plates or what ?
Old 25th December 2016, 22:46   #8

hi All,

This is my first post/query on Team BHP and apologies if i am getting it wrong.

I have a 1.8 TSI Superb Manual and want to venture into an ECU remap. Contacted Racedynamics and he is charging 26k for the same. Says there will be a 30% boost in BHP and 20% approx in torque.

Has any one got this mod done? is it risky for the car in the long run?

Please suggest!
Old 26th December 2016, 00:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbin19 View Post
I have a 1.8 TSI Superb Manual and want to venture into an ECU remap. Contacted Racedynamics and he is charging 26k for the same
Are you sure that Race Dynamics quoted the price for "remap"? I do not think they offer remaps. I think it's a tuning box. It's called powertronics for petrol cars.

If you want ECU remap, you can go with TOT/Pete's/APR/Revo/Shark. I have heard very good reviews about VAG remaps from them. If you want a customised map as per your driving style, Tune O Tronics would be a better option.

Cheers!!
Old 27th December 2016, 06:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbin19 View Post
hi All,

This is my first post/query on Team BHP and apologies if i am getting it wrong.

I have a 1.8 TSI Superb Manual and want to venture into an ECU remap. Contacted Racedynamics and he is charging 26k for the same. Says there will be a 30% boost in BHP and 20% approx in torque.

Has any one got this mod done? is it risky for the car in the long run?

Please suggest!
It's safe on manual box provided it is done right. But you may need to change the diverter valve for a good aftermarket one to take full advantage of the remap.

Also you may have to change your driving style a bit to preserve the longevity of the clutch. You should minimise full throttle accelerations from standstill or lower gears.

PS: I am running Code6 map on my Superb 1.8tsi DSG for nearly two years.

Last edited by novice : 27th December 2016 at 06:56.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 09:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Are you sure that Race Dynamics quoted the price for "remap"? I do not think they offer remaps. I think it's a tuning box. It's called powertronics for petrol cars.

If you want ECU remap, you can go with TOT/Pete's/APR/Revo/Shark. I have heard very good reviews about VAG remaps from them. If you want a customised map as per your driving style, Tune O Tronics would be a better option.

Cheers!!

Dr. Naren, yes they did chat with me and mentioned an ECU remap. But now that you have me thinking again, let me double check on the same!!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
It's safe on manual box provided it is done right. But you may need to change the diverter valve for a good aftermarket one to take full advantage of the remap.

Also you may have to change your driving style a bit to preserve the longevity of the clutch. You should minimise full throttle accelerations from standstill or lower gears.

PS: I am running Code6 map on my Superb 1.8tsi DSG for nearly two years.
Awesome!, Would you know any good Diverter Valves (After market ones?) i can procure?

Yep, will ensure i dont venture into the full accelerations .. although it will be tough to resist :-)

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2016 at 16:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 27th December 2016, 13:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I am running Code6 map on my Superb 1.8tsi DSG for nearly two years.
Can you provide more details? I have a Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG and this is the first time I'm hearing of anyone in India with a Skoda TSI DSG remap! Am primarily worried about warranty voiding and of course that 250Nm ceiling DSG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks