Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 12:07   #1
BHPian

Fact About Bose Corporation and its Active Suspension System

Bose, the God of Acoustics, the unchallenged king of sound systems is founded by Indian named 'Amar Gopal Bose'. I was astonished when I came to know about this and I think most of us do not know this.

A Big feather in Indian Cap.

And Bose is doing big research in Car Suspension which could change the automotive world. It's Active Suspension System. I am not good at writing so better you read articles written by experts...

This is must read and a Team-BHPian should not miss this...
Bose’s amazing active suspension uses speaker technology | ExtremeTech

Old 30th September 2011, 12:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Fact About Bose Corporation and its Active Suspension System

Sushant, Bose's been known to Indian's from a long time. Especially the people, who have that urge to read and divulge into the big world of internet for information. Sounds great to know that they are now working towards improving the suspension.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Bose, the God of Acoustics, the unchallenged king of sound systems is founded by Indian named 'Amar Gopal Bose'. I was astonished when I came to know about this and I think most of us do not know this.

A Big feather in Indian Cap.
I am sure many BHPians are already aware of this fact. I personally know this for over a decade now as my love for electronics started when I was very young.

Bose is a late entrant in Indian markets while their products have been available in the western countries for quite some time. There are several unsung heroes in this world whose existence is not even known in India but are doing splendid jobs by contributing to their respective fields like - Science and Technology, Medicine, Economics, Automobiles, Music, etc. Best example for this can be Mr. Amartya Sen, whom we knew about only after he won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1998.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Sushant, Bose's been known to Indian's from a long time. Especially the people, who have that urge to read and divulge into the big world of internet for information. Sounds great to know that they are now working towards improving the suspension.
I just came to know but it seems that everybody knows this .

Actually this demo video is done in sometime 2005-2007. This is old news but I thought it is good to share if anybody does not know this then it will be helpful.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:47   #5
BHPian

Bose have been working on this system for quite some time now. I have always been proud of the fact that an Indian has set such high standards in acoustic systems. I had seen a documentary long time back on the Active Suspension system being designed by Bose. There are so many companies which are working on this & I remember one such who has designed the shocks in such a way that when they move they charge the batteries. Needless to say they are made specifically for Electric cars.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:49   #6
BHPian

I still remember those old memories of Bose and their print ads's in Rotaract & Rotarian, the Rotary Club's Magazines we used to read during our Childhood days. I still remember those products of Bose. I got introduced to Bose somewhere around 1992-1993, during my schooling days. Your thread reminded me of those days spent enjoying the fortnightly meets of Rotary Club and the amazing food we used to gorge on. OT for sure, but mentioned because this was where we used to read and discuss about Bose mostly. All the Audiophilic Kids aside used to stare and oogle at those Bose Advt's in that magazine.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:53   #7
BHPian

No offence meant to anyone here, but Bose (Audio) is just 90% smart marketing and 10% stuff. Hard to believe? 1. Use your ears and not hearsay, 2. Google for some unbiased reviews on Bose, 3. Find out what components go into their supposedly highly researched systems.

I assure you, you will be (unpleasantly) surprised!
quicksilver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 13:58   #8
BHPian

@quicksilver its marketing (read advertising) that has always ensured a products success.
One of my profs used to always say "Good advertising can ensure success of a bad product also, while bad advertising can even ruin the best of the products"
Old 30th September 2011, 14:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bose, the God of Acoustics, the unchallenged king of sound systems ...
says who ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
No offence meant to anyone here, but Bose (Audio) is just 90% smart marketing and 10% stuff. Hard to believe? 1. Use your ears and not hearsay, 2. Google for some unbiased reviews on Bose, 3. Find out what components go into their supposedly highly researched systems.

Definitely over-rated. I would feel more proud (as an Indian, since the Indian lineage of Bose is being mentioned) about the Sonodyne brand.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 30th September 2011 at 14:07.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
@quicksilver its marketing (read advertising) that has always ensured a products success.
True in a way, I agree, but that does not mean it is the best in the world, right? I used to feel the same way about Bose initially and fortunately before I bought my first Wave radio from Bose, I did a bit of read up and realised that I was paying 10X times more for an average product. Yes, I say they are "Average" not even "Good".

The irony is someone buying Bose based on popular opinion and then being ridiculed by an audiophile/informed friend for being taken for a ride.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver

I have used my ears and can assure you that Bose audio systems are genuinely superb. Yes, they do cost a heck of a lot too. Try the Bose Wave Cd/Radio system. You will be amazed at the volume, clarity and also the bass that this tiny system produces. They are pioneers in the audio field, with the neodymium magnet that is 10 times as powerful as a regular ferrous magnet of the same mass. They had a patent on the magnet initially, but the same tech is now used by many other companies.

The car suspension system is active and uses independent systems at each wheel that replace the entire spring/strut assy. It is driven off the engine and uses as much power as a normal air-conditioning system does. Sensors pick up on any obstacles and the wheels appear to jump over them. They also compensate for roll and pitch during cornering, acceleration and braking. Ride is unmatched and absolutely flat. It has also been around in testing for a decade now, and is not really catching on because of the cost, and the fact that directional alignment materials that are used in the shock absorbers of the Porsche Cayenne (and maybe others) are significantly cheaper, achieve acceptable levels of comfort and also drastically reduce body roll, while not adding as much of a load to the engine/alternator as the Bose system does.

All of this is from memory, but I'm sure there must be a wiki with this information. Will check and update.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^ if it is so revolutionary then why don't we see it in the market. IIRC its more than 4-5 years old news. No offense to you mate, but i feel something fishy here. Like one of the products they show you on TV shopping, on ads they do brilliant stuff but when you get them and realize they are absolutely rubbish.

Worthy read:-
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Last edited by Rahulkool : 30th September 2011 at 14:30.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 14:34   #13
BHPian

I read somewhere about Bose and his innovations at early childhood. When he was a child he was always amused by the tiny transmitters used by his friends. He didnt had the luxary to buy one because of his family situation, SO he decided to build one n his own from the srap available. Thats how he first started building hs own radio and he never looked back after that.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...And Bose is doing big research in Car Suspension which could change the automotive world....
Active suspensions in automobiles is nothing new or Bose-specific. Please google 'Sky Hook suspension' and check it yourself.

Trust Bose Audio to create a hype around something like this .
Old 30th September 2011, 14:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool
^^ if it is so revolutionary then why don't we see it in the market. IIRC its more than 4-5 years old news. No offense to you mate, but i feel something fishy here. Like one of the products they show you on TV shopping, on ads they do brilliant stuff but when you get them and realize they are absolutely rubbish.

Worthy read:-
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Well I was talking from my experience at the Bose store in CP and my family member's home theatre system. It is super good at home theatre systems to my ears. I also have heard the wave cd/radio at store in Bangalore, and it certainly sounds like a much larger setup than it looks. Of course I am no audiophile, but I rely more on my ears than another's review when it comes to music.

Your post is confusing because it mixes up the two products I was talking about separately. Were you asking why the suspension system is not in the market? If yes, that is already explained in my previous post, and the link you provided doesn't relate to it
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks