Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 12:47   #16
mgh
BHPian

Re: Does the odometer really reflect engine wear and tear?

Everything goes out the window, if the odo is tampered!
The odo represents revolutions of the wheels, as the kms is calculated from that. The engine revolutions are not calculated. They would be higher in lower gears, so city driving would definitely represent more revolutions of engine for same distance travelled, plus revolutions during idling. That is why manufacturers recommend shorter interval for oil change by the odo, for city driving. But, oils are obviously improving, the old recommendation of 50% reduction for city driving no longer holds valid, the manufacturerers now recommend only a 10 to 20% reduction.
Aside from factors like city driving, driving in a dusty environment, driving through water, driving habits, etc also affect the wear and tear.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I am sorry sir, I didnt understand which part of a car causes grief.
That which causes it to be unreliable, and lightens your wallet.

Three things which age does, irrespective of mileage:- perishing of elastomer items/ unreliability of electrical contacts/ rust.

I'd always prefer a newer car to an older one, as long as mileage is not astronomical, or has been used by a person with a use and throw mentality. These two come together in what is popularly known as the 'taxi cancel' vehicle.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th October 2011, 13:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
So, basically here's what you all are saying? A car thats done highway runs (and serviced regularly) is better than the one that's driven in the city? If so, what about other aspects like suspension, the metal body etc. Would'nt they also show wear and tear of a car that's run so much?
Not necessarily but so far so that parts will wear out faster in city traffic. Look at the used car market in say, the USA. Good roads, regular oil changes due to dependency on personal auto ensures that the car runs for close to a lac miles without significant maintenance costs.

In the Indian context - brakes, clutch will be wear out much faster as opposed to a cab used on the MPEW runs.
Old 11th October 2011, 18:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
So, basically here's what you all are saying? A car thats done highway runs (and serviced regularly) is better than the one that's driven in the city? If so, what about other aspects like suspension, the metal body etc. Would'nt they also show wear and tear of a car that's run so much?

Dotty, I agree on the point though that when looking for a used car market, we need to take into consideration the idle time, hence adding a few thousand kms to the count shown.

P.S: Just another look to the entire argument - What if the Odo of the car itself is tampered?
Actually city driving is stressful for most of the car's sub assemblies.
. Engine due to excessive idling, acceleration, deceleration
. Brakes due to frequent usage
. Clutch and gear box due to frequent changes
. Suspension is stressed every time you accelerate, decelerate and brake.
. Seats as you are constantly getting on and off
. Doors open more frequently
. Battery due to more frequent starting
. Horn as it is always on!
The list goes on and on

In spite of the ODO reading, an expert can evaluate each and every point and let you know the actual condition as well as estimated time and cost of repairs.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

@dot, I agree with the part that city driving does take its toll on the engine. Whether this is more/ less than highway driving is debatable. IMHO it depends also on:
- driving style on both highway and in town. some drivers are defensive in town and let it rip on highways and vice versa.
- number of different drivers driving the car and if their driving styles differ
- the car itself. some are more adaptable to a particular style of driving while others may not be so flexible
- purpose of the car. commercially used cars are abused more than personally used ones most of the time

I am sure we have considered these factors other than solely the odo reading.
Why this came to my mind?
I saw a car sale ad which mentioned the owner as a doctor. Also seen some ads before which mention them as Parsi owned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks