Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 00:09   #1

Honda City AT - Transmission problem

2010 Honda city V-AT has a transmission problem. Let me explain. As soon as I start the car and move the gear lever from P to D, the car jerks and moves a few inches forward along with making some noise. I know it is normal for it to jerk when you put it to D but this is totally different and sounds weird too. And when when am driving, doing 40km/h it again jerks. I think while moving from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Importantly the dashboard shows D(drive mode) blinking even if I move it to S(sport mode). From which I can assume that there is a problem with it.

1. What kind of a problem is this??

2. Is it safe do even drive the car around in town? And if I do will it affect the gear box??

3. Has anyone else also had the same problem??

4. Finally how much will it cost me??
Old 14th October 2011, 00:34   #2
BHPian

re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

1. Not very proficient in diagnosing this issue, but to me it seems likely a gearbox issue. I have heard of a few hassles in AT boxes.
2. Driving it around with a messy gearbox(if that indeed is the problem) might not be a safe option. For one, there are more chances that if something actually comes apart, you might be stalled when you are least expecting it. Apart from that, it might just be damaging the drivetrain (or parts thereof). Best to get it checked thoroughly before you use it any further.
3. No, this is a new one to me.
4. Now that varies. Unless the problem is accurately diagnosed, it is very difficult to estimate the cost for the repair. If the car is still under warranty, the service guys should do it for free. Otherwise, the cost may vary from just labour charges in case of minor problems or the cost of spares in case something needs to be replaced.

Will keep an eye, do let us know how it turns out.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you like to drive around in this situation?
I would recommend that you take it to the service station and get it checked right away.

Service center would have everything required to diagnose this. ANd 2010 model means you are still within warranty period, right? They why worry?
Old 14th October 2011, 15:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
Importantly the dashboard shows D(drive mode) blinking even if I move it to S(sport mode). From which I can assume that there is a problem with it.
The D blinking means there is a transmission fault. Why would you try and drive around further? Take it to Honda.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2010 Honda city V-AT has a transmission problem. Let me explain. As soon as I start the car and move the gear lever from P to D, the car jerks and moves a few inches forward along with making some noise. I know it is normal for it to jerk when you put it to D but this is totally different and sounds weird too. And when when am driving, doing 40km/h it again jerks. I think while moving from 2nd to 3rd gear.

1. What kind of a problem is this??

2. Is it safe do even drive the car around in town? And if I do will it affect the gear box??

3. Has anyone else also had the same problem??

4. Finally how much will it cost me??
Amar, I would suggest taking your car to the the Honda guys where you bought it from immediately as driving it this way will cause more damage for sure.
Your model is 2010 and you must be having the 2+2 years warranty period which you are well inside.
Don't worry it will surely get fixed!
Old 14th October 2011, 16:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I suggest ask for the Honda roadside assistance and let them come and take a look at it. It may be riskier to drive.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:58   #7
BHPian

Do not drive with this problem. You may end up burning or further damaging the part that is creating the problem and the cost of repair would shoot up drastically if it means replacing a bigger assembly.

I had a AT problem in City but that was VTec and ended up replacing the entire assembly.
Old 14th October 2011, 17:37   #8

Thanks everyone for the help and advise!!
I have already sent the car for servicing to Honda. I still have no idea what the problem is. Will keep you all updated on what the problem is, once I get in touch with them.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:17   #9

Hey guys I just spoke to Honda and he said that the problem was caused by a faulty wire which was half chewed up by a RAT!! And that it costs 8k to replace it. The car has been parked for a week and so the rat has made it's home in the engine bay.
What can be done to stop them from entering the engine bay other than drive it everyday n kill the RAT!??
Old 15th October 2011, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys I just spoke to Honda and he said that the problem was caused by a faulty wire which was half chewed up by a RAT!! And that it costs 8k to replace it. The car has been parked for a week and so the rat has made it's home in the engine bay.
What can be done to stop them from entering the engine bay other than drive it everyday n kill the RAT!??
Keep some rat killing cakes under your car/engine bay.
Old 15th August 2015, 02:17   #11
BHPian

AT car jerking while upshifting

Hi BHPians

I own a 3 month old Grand i10 1.2 Petrol AT.

There is their weird jerking problem (although infrequently). While the car accelerates from 40-50 to higher speed, it jerks continuously as if the gears are downshifting and upshifting repeatedly.

Putting the stick in tiptronic (manual) mode, I see the gear at 3rd. (There are 4 total gears in AT Grand i10)

I have checked the AT fluid and it is full and not leaking.

Anybody else faced such a problem? What to do in such a situation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks