Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 23:41   #61
BHPian

Re: Get clear about parking lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also what would be better in dense fog? To have the hazard light on? I am talking of the kind of Fog we have in Delhi during the winters. One thing to follow is do not use HIGH BEAMS. Always use Low beams. But most cars do not have fog lamps as these are considered a luxury by most car makers and many of us do not go for the top end models. So drive with hazards on?
The best option is to use low beams+fogs,IMO unless the fog is very very dense(which now is very rare in city like delhi),you shouldn't put hazards on,if visibility is very less then you should put your hazards on.
Old 19th October 2011, 00:03   #62
BHPian

Having spent the larger part of my life in the middle east and having also taken driving classes there, I believe I have a mostly accurate understanding of the purpose of the hazard lights. I have seen it in use many many times, and my driving tutor has instructed me about it too.

The hazard lights indicate to the car(s) behind you that "all is not well, please slow down for a bit". The hazard can be anything. If you feel that the driver behind you must be put on alert, you switch on the hazards. This is especially useful when the cars are moving at high speeds. For example:
  1. You have encountered car trouble and are decelerating at an abnormal pace to pull over.
  2. You find something unexpected on the road, like a pothole/water crossing that isn't visible and need to warn cars behind slow down.
  3. You have parked in a no parking area due to an emergency. In this case your car is the hazard.
  4. You are driving at a pretty good speed and someone/something suddenly crosses the road in front of you.
I have seen many cattle crossings on middle eastern roads where we often travel at speeds of 140-160 kmph. The cattle aren't visible from a distance but the hazard lights on the cars in front tell us to slow down.

And because the hazard isn't visible for some distance, if we see a car in front of us with its hazards on, we switch ours on too.

I remember the time when folks back here in India started getting cars with the hazard light 'feature', it used to be a pull-switch atop the steering box (a hazard in itself to toggle while driving) and people thought its purpose was to indicate one's intention to go straight at a junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I don't think it is the hazard warning that gets activated (yellow indicator lights) but the third high mounted brake light that starts flashing in emergency scenarios. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I do not have a reference article for this information.
It is indeed the hazard lights that will flash on emergency braking. Is logical, because as mentioned above a suddenly braking car is a hazard to cars behind it.
EagleEye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 10:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

now we begining to make sense when it comes to hazard lights/warning lights.

lets talk about the topic...Parking lights.

these are to be switched on during the time of dusk or dawn, where the main headlights are not required, unless it becomes night.

the could also be used as DRLs.

Last edited by Parm : 19th October 2011 at 10:11.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:15   #64
BHPian

Last weekend on return from Pune.It was raining cats and dogs on the expressway.
Visibility was poor.But not that poor that you couldn't see the car ahead with only parking lights on.
.While it was raining many of the cars around us had they Hazard lights blinking.Now i personally am against this as it does to a certain extent distract the driver and also gives an illusion of a stopped car.
I made a comment in the car to the driver and the co passenger both of which were totally ignorant on topics like this.Reason being is they insisted Parking lights and hazard lights are the same.I tried explaining to my ignorant friends about how it differs but they were hell bent on believing they are the same.
I had also told them it was silly of them to drive in the rain with their hazard lights on as it could confuses a novice driver.
But couldn manage to convince them.
Can any one give their views on this topic.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:23   #65
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Hazard lights are used to indicate a stationery vehicle which is a potential road 'hazard'. They are not to be used during rains or other conditions when there is low visibility.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend on return from Pune.It was raining cats and dogs on the expressway.
Visibility was poor.But not that poor that you couldn't see the car ahead with only parking lights on.

I had also told them it was silly of them to drive in the rain with their hazard lights on as it could confuses a novice driver.
You can convince only those kind of people who are willing to listen or understand your point. The "I-know-it-all" kind will never bother and in his back of his mind, he maybe thinking how ignorant you are. These guys will learn only when they go through a bad experience (GOD forbid).

Better, just leave these guys alone. Its best we stay more alert while driving.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next time you come across such people hand over the print of the link below.
7. The use of hazard signal and warning triangle | India Drive Safe
Old 13th July 2012, 11:56   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i use hazard lights/warning lights when there is sudden traffic build up and every one is braking hard.
Even I use hazard ights if I have to slowdown suddenly. I mean if I am doing 100+ and have to break hard. I know in Malaysia some cars have this feature standard. It activates hazard lights for 5 seconds if you doing 96+kmph and start breaking all of sudden.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
7.1. The hazard (warning, parking) lights signal should be switched on:
*in case of road accident;
*when forced stop in a place where stopping is prohibited;
*in the case of blindness of eyes of the driver due to high beam;
*when towing (on towed motor vehicle).
*when boarding children in the vehicle that has the markings of "Transportation of children", and getting off from it.
Sourec: 7. The use of hazard signal and warning triangle | India Drive Safe
Credits: ghodlur
Are we suppose to switch on hazard lights when a high beam blinds us?

Last edited by carzone : 13th July 2012 at 12:29.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

Its better to be safe than sorry. Whatever reason someone else uses, it does indicate to us that something is not normal which is not bad.
There are some people in this forum who believe that it has to be switched on only when you stop.

When DRLs were introduced, the logic was if you thought some idiot is driving with his lights on, at least you are seeing a car which is safer for you. (how it has changed to dedicated DRLs now a days )
Old 13th July 2012, 12:32   #71
BHPian

Don't some of the newer generation cars have the REAR FOG LAMPS meant to be used in low visibility? I know the Fabia has the rear fog lamps just haven't been able to figure out how to activate\switch them on.
Old 13th July 2012, 13:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Don't some of the newer generation cars have the REAR FOG LAMPS meant to be used in low visibility? I know the Fabia has the rear fog lamps just haven't been able to figure out how to activate\switch them on.
Fiesta has rear fog lamps which can be activated by pulling the headlight rotary knob twice. Must be the same for the Fabia too I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Are we suppose to switch on hazard lights when a high beam blinds us?
Ideally High beams should not be used at all. If anyone uses it and it blinds the oncoming traffic then its defintely a hazard which justifies the usage of the lights. Just my opinion. Lets hear what other BHPians have to say to this particular reason.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 13:14   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
Fiesta has rear fog lamps which can be activated by pulling the headlight rotary knob twice. Must be the same for the Fabia too I guess.

Ideally High beams should not be used at all. If anyone uses it and it blinds the oncoming traffic then its defintely a hazard which justifies the usage of the lights. Just my opinion. Lets hear what other BHPians have to say to this particular reason.
Same for the polo too. Pulling the rotary knob once activates front facing fogs and pulling it another step activates the rear facing fogs.

@ghodlur agree with you regarding high beam/hazard light usage. High beam should be used only when there is nobody ahead of you.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:52   #74
BHPian

Noticed an additional parking light feature in my Tiguan. When the ignition is switched off, push the indicator stalk down to actviate left single-side parking lights on (front and back). Push it up to activate the right side lights. Pretty usesful when you are parking temporarily in narrow lanes (switch left side only or right side only lights depending on which side you are parked). Does any other car in India have this? Seems to be a standard norm in Europe.
drivingme.crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 08:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Noticed an additional parking light feature in my Tiguan. When the ignition is switched off, push the indicator stalk down to actviate left single-side parking lights on (front and back). Push it up to activate the right side lights. Pretty usesful when you are parking temporarily in narrow lanes (switch left side only or right side only lights depending on which side you are parked). Does any other car in India have this? Seems to be a standard norm in Europe.
My humble, 6 lakh, Ford Aspire has it.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks