Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 12:32   #1
im_driver

i20 clutch issue - unresolved for 12 days now

Hi All,

I have a 2009 i20 Asta. Earlier this month, I noticed some hardness in the clutch pedal. Before I could take it for a service, the clutch went completely hard leaving the car stuck on the road for a while. We eventually towed it to the nearest service station.

The advisor has told that there is some clutch rubber part that needs replacement. This is exactly a month after my warranty ran out, kicking myself for not purchasing the extended one.

Its been 12 days now, and they do not seem to have located the part till date. The car is lying at the service center for this duration, and its really worrisome.

I have three questions, would be realy grateful if the members here could help

1. Has anyone faced a similar situation with Hyundai parts before? Also, is there someone who can be contacted and will be of help (my advisor sounds quite clueless and has not been able to give a timeframe)

2. How dead am I for not extending the warranty?

3. Being completely paranoid, but is there a risk in my car lying at the service station for that long? Specially now that the warranty is over :-(

Regards

Old 18th October 2011, 12:47   #2
BHPian

Re: i20 clutch issue - unresolved for 12 days now (Help needed)

AFAIK, the clutch is not covered under warranty. So no point even if you took the extended warranty.

Last edited by rg_chn : 18th October 2011 at 12:48.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Right.
And what rubber part, BTW? Does it have a technical name?
Old 18th October 2011, 15:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_driver View Post
Its been 12 days now, and they do not seem to have located the part till date.
Can you ask him the specific name of this part?

Quote:
Has anyone faced a similar situation with Hyundai parts before? Also, is there someone who can be contacted and will be of help (my advisor sounds quite clueless and has not been able to give a timeframe)
If it's something rare (read = a part that does not usually fail), then few service centers will keep it in stock. However, Hyundai is known for being super-fast even with importing parts for their CBU SUVs. I don't see any reason why it should take more than 4 - 5 days to source from Hyundai.

I suggest you talk sternly to the dealer, and bring the matter to Hyundai's attention as well.

Quote:
but is there a risk in my car lying at the service station for that long?
Considering that your car isn't able to move , I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
AFAIK, the clutch is not covered under warranty.
The clutch plate is not covered under warranty. However, if there is an unusual failure of a part from the clutch assembly, rest assured it will be replaced free of cost.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20 clutch issue - unresolved for 12 days now

Unable to source parts for 12 days in a city like Mumbai is outrageous.

One thing i asked in another i20 related thread is, What clutch does i20 uses hydraulic or cable operated.?? didn;t get the answer there, but now I suspect its a hydraulic. And they are waiting for the oil seal rubber.
Old 18th October 2011, 22:44   #6
BHPian

Sad to know about your distress. IMHO, Hyundai is generally good with after sales service, and it is a surprising thing that they have not been able to give you the replacement for the part, especially in Mumbai.

Apart from that, it is a little surprising to know that the clutch has failed in just over a year of use. Sounds like it really is some kind of defective part, in which case you should be entitled for a replacement.

The steering column of my i10 needed to be changed, it was making some annoying squeaking noises, and was replaced under warranty. It took just one day to get the part and replace it.

I think you should just notify Hyundai about this, and be more firm with the dealer. He is probably being too careless about it. I think once he gets a push from a regional head or likewise, he will be in his senses and pay proper attention to the job at hand.

Good luck!
Old 19th October 2011, 10:12   #7
BHPian

It is now my firm belief that hyundai is very very bad at transmission system. My auto santro has faced lots of problems. When I visited bhosri plant (near pune), I met a guy whose manual i20 was facing problems in transmission. Car was with them for many weeks. The way that guy was cursing and using foul words at the plant, really showed the anger that that customer had to have such a bad vehicle for a ahrd earned 7 lakh Rs.
I can still understand a music system not working. But transmission?!
This is a very pathetic situation. Shame on hyundai to provide such low quality critical component.
All transmission victims should sue these hyundai.

Last edited by subscrive : 19th October 2011 at 10:14.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

From what I know, if they do not have a part in stock, they have to issue a fresh order for it. Periodically ( I think weekly), they issue a bulk parts order list which is sent to Hyundai Spare Parts division. They can't order each part seperately and it has to be a bulk order. It could take upto two weeks for those parts to arrive.

P.S. My i20's clutch has started to make funny noises and gives a feeling of judder when it is pressed or released. Will have to get it checked.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
It is now my firm belief that hyundai is very very bad at transmission system.
Ha ha ha, well said and partly true, IMO.

BTW, it depends on the car. e.g. the clutch in my Tucson has a problematic design - single mass flywheel and part time 4WD (clutch based) puts a lot of strain on the main clutch plate and reduces life - of the clutch as well as the driver's left knee.

But I am told that the Terracan (the earlier SUV than Tucson) was made to higher standards and uses dual mass flywheel (not sure of it's 4WD coupling) and the clutch is supposed to be much better. Of course, the dual mass flywheel also has to be replaced during clutch overhaul - so good things come at a cost.

Does i20 CRDi use a dual mass flywheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
From what I know, if they do not have a part in stock, they have to issue a fresh order for it. Periodically ( I think weekly), they issue a bulk parts order list which is sent to Hyundai Spare Parts division. They can't order each part seperately and it has to be a bulk order. It could take upto two weeks for those parts to arrive.

P.S. My i20's clutch has started to make funny noises and gives a feeling of judder when it is pressed or released. Will have to get it checked.
Hyundai are very good with logistics. My experience with Tucson has been awesome. And for urgent parts requirement, they have VOR (Vehcile Off the road) category where the company processes the part order urgently. Before we can conclude anything, we need to know exactly what part of the clutch/transmission this is about. Every part has a name.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th October 2011 at 10:59.
Old 19th October 2011, 11:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Unable to source parts for 12 days in a city like Mumbai is outrageous.

One thing i asked in another i20 related thread is, What clutch does i20 uses hydraulic or cable operated.?? didn;t get the answer there, but now I suspect its a hydraulic. And they are waiting for the oil seal rubber.

I think it is hydraulic. The fact that a rubber part has caused the clutch to not function incorrectly makes me think it's a rubber seal.
Old 19th October 2011, 14:13   #11
BHPian

On an another note, my i20 Asta Auto had the similar issue with Accelerator where it would be bit difficult to press it fully, you can floor it but need to make an effort. They said some cable has to be changed and it is covered under warranty and will replace it in a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks