Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 23:59   #1

Hyundai Accent 2006/1.5/P: Steam from under the hood

Hi,
Ive tried searching the forum but did not find anything similar so am posting my query here. I have a few issues which I want to get clarified so here it goes,

I own a Second Hand Accent GLE 1.5L Petrol car. I am quiet a dud when it comes to technical aspects of a car and this being my first car any squeak, shudder or minor issue makes my heart race. So here I have listed my issues and I hope you can help me get it clarified. The car has run 31K.

1. The most recent nagging problem I have is when I took the car out during the rain. After about driving for 20 ins in the traffic and heavy rain and going through some puddles I started seeing steam coming from under the hood. Now i knew that it is very possible because of the water coming in contact with the exhaust or hot metal but even after riding for 10 more mins the steam did not stop. So I panicked and parked my car on the side and called my friend.

He said it was quiet normal and his M800 blew steam when he took it in the rain. After the letting the car sit for 10 mins the steam cleared.

Now my query is I did not see any other car except a WagonR giving off steam in the traffic. Is this a cause for worry or can I ignore it?

2. My second problem is with a groaning sound I hear when I climb steep and apply the brakes. Its obvious the sound is coming from the brakes but I never hear it while braking on flat road.

What could be the issue? Can it be rectified?

3. My 3rd issue is with the power of the car. There is a very obvious difference in power while running the car with ac and without ac on.

Should the difference be so obvious?

4. My final query is about a slow rattling noise I hear or more like sound of marbles hitting each other when I slow accelerate my car on first gear. Its a very common sound ive heard on car and it is a bit irritating. Makes my car sound like the badly bruised indiCab cars.

Can it be rectified?

As I said I am a novice at cars and this car is my first one brought with my hard earned money and I want to understand her and keep her well for the time she is with me. Moderators if there are similar issues which has already been discuss it would be really helpful of you if you could post the links for me.

Regards.
Old 26th October 2011, 03:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent 2006/1.5/P: Steam from under the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonEye View Post
Hi,
Ive tried searching the forum but did not find anything similar so am posting my query here. I have a few issues which I want to get clarified so here it goes,

I own a Second Hand Accent GLE 1.5L Petrol car. I am quiet a dud when it comes to technical aspects of a car and this being my first car any squeak, shudder or minor issue makes my heart race. So here I have listed my issues and I hope you can help me get it clarified. The car has run 31K.

1. The most recent nagging problem I have is when I took the car out during the rain. After about driving for 20 ins in the traffic and heavy rain and going through some puddles I started seeing steam coming from under the hood. Now i knew that it is very possible because of the water coming in contact with the exhaust or hot metal but even after riding for 10 more mins the steam did not stop. So I panicked and parked my car on the side and called my friend.

He said it was quiet normal and his M800 blew steam when he took it in the rain. After the letting the car sit for 10 mins the steam cleared.

Now my query is I did not see any other car except a WagonR giving off steam in the traffic. Is this a cause for worry or can I ignore it?

2. My second problem is with a groaning sound I hear when I climb steep and apply the brakes. Its obvious the sound is coming from the brakes but I never hear it while braking on flat road.

3. My 3rd issue is with the power of the car. There is a very obvious difference in power while running the car with ac and without ac on.

4. My final query is about a slow rattling noise I hear or more like sound of marbles hitting each other when I slow accelerate my car on first gear. Its a very common sound ive heard on car and it is a bit irritating. Makes my car sound like the badly bruised indiCab cars.

Can it be rectified?

As I said I am a novice at cars and this car is my first one brought with my hard earned money and I want to understand her and keep her well for the time she is with me. Moderators if there are similar issues which has already been discuss it would be really helpful of you if you could post the links for me.

Regards.
1. It is normal for steam to appear during rains , if you see steam when it is not raining than it should raise an alarm. most of the car components are at steam point.

2. Usual Drum brake behaviour , when you are on a slope the back drum brakes have a tendancy to "groan" in some cars it is normal , but best to get the brakes checked or cleaned.

3. yes 1.5l engine is pretty obvious when AC is switched on. Very normal. You have to be in the power band in 3rd gear not to feel the AC pull. If you are in low RPMs in 3rd gear it could be bad for your engine. - normal

4. This is the sound of your CV joint wearing out. YOu may also hear a tick tick noise soon when turning.. you can check your suspension bushes as well.. fix this soon so as to not have uneven tyre wear..

All the above can be solved by a normal service procedure and nothing out of the ordinary.... hope that helps..

happy driving..
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 05:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The most recent nagging problem I have is when I took the car out during the rain.
Forget about this, this happens in most cars. All you need to do most probably is keep a watch on the thermal indicator as it should come closer to the red zone.

Quote:

When were the last time brake pads were changed, or brakes checked. If not then it might be time to change them.

Quote:

Has the car been serviced, air filters changed and cleaned. There is surely some power loss when AC is switched on, but this is lesser in higher engine capacity cars. So if this is only slightly then ignore it otherwise a normal servicing might be needed.

Quote:

Can it be rectified?
Were you able to identify from where the sound comes, mostly i have seen it comes from somewhere in Dashboard, and it means some loose screws or some coins in the coin tray, so this also could be fixed soon once you pay a visit for service.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 26th October 2011 at 05:19.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
All the above can be solved by a normal service procedure and nothing out of the ordinary.... hope that helps..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Were you able to identify from where the sound comes, mostly i have seen it comes from somewhere in Dashboard, and it means some loose screws or some coins in the coin tray, so this also could be fixed soon once you pay a visit for service.
Thank you so much guys. Really relieved that most issues can be solved through a general service. Also I brought the car at 28K mark so I havnt yet given it for service. So I guess the first service should be helpful.

As for the rattling sound. It only comes when i start the car and accelerate it in first gear. Once the car picks momentum the noise stops.
Old 26th October 2011, 21:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much guys. Really relieved that most issues can be solved through a general service. Also I brought the car at 28K mark so I havnt yet given it for service. So I guess the first service should be helpful.

As for the rattling sound. It only comes when i start the car and accelerate it in first gear. Once the car picks momentum the noise stops.

80% wheel bearings or cv joints.better to get them checked. might even be as easy as a loose exhaust baffle. nothing to worry about
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks