Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 14:04   #46
BHPian

Re: Symptoms of a worn out timing belt?

Hi,

Need advice on Timing Chain for 1.5 Ltr CRDI engine on my Verna.
1.As per information on internet, Hyundai's U series engines use Timing Chain. As per manual (based on Service Checklist ) it is Timing belt. Don't know which one is true.
2. My car has done 89K and is due for another service in 6 months. SA has advised changing Timing Chain then. Do I need to do a change on Timing Chain now? I asked him about water pump and he said that it is not required. BTW he has quoted 30K for the change
Should I change as a precautionary measure? Please advise. My car is 6 years old.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Generally timing chains last longer than timing belts. Maybe the service manual is still using the old terminology. Chains are costlier but more reliable.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:05   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hi,

Need advice on Timing Chain for 1.5 Ltr CRDI engine on my Verna.
1.As per information on internet, Hyundai's U series engines use Timing Chain. As per manual (based on Service Checklist ) it is Timing belt. Don't know which one is true.
2. My car has done 89K and is due for another service in 6 months. SA has advised changing Timing Chain then. Do I need to do a change on Timing Chain now? I asked him about water pump and he said that it is not required. BTW he has quoted 30K for the change
Should I change as a precautionary measure? Please advise. My car is 6 years old.
On timing belts or chain I would go strictly by the book. Stick to the intervals as stipulated in the owners / service manual. You should not have to replace it early, but be very wary of replacing it too late.

Jeroen
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:05   #49
BHPian

Its been so long since, we sold Opel astra, whose timing belt issue actuated me to start a thread about worn out timing belts.
Since, the time we sold that car.Ive been driving 2007 Honda Accord 2.4L AT

There is a particular noise that coming from my Honda Accord for past 1 month. Its nearing 89K k.m. , Here's the situation:-

Whenever I accelerate the car from stop, on the RPM meter, from 1000 to 2000 rpm, my car starts making 'kat-kat'; noise and it begins from the moment the car starts moving from standstill. The rate of that shreaking noise increases as RPM meter needle goes through 1000 - 2000 RPM. But, here whats irronic, after 2300 rpm, that noise starts decreasing, such that after 2500 RPM , no noise!!!??.

However, cars with timing belt or drive belt issues, the noise usually increases as throttle input increases. But, in my car that shreaking noise goes away after 2500 RPM!

I ve checked owners manual, the following:

Inspect and replace timing belt 100k k.m
and inspect water water pump
(except 4-cylinder models)

Inspect drive belts. after every 40k k.m.
interval.

Now, ive been thinking, whether this is a timing belt issue or a drive belt issue or tensioner issue!??
Compounded with the fact, that after 2500 RPM, that noise goes away.

All this has got me a bit confusing, Sure, i'll take the car to Honda ASC, first thing , the first week of July(At that time the service will be due as well).

What I would like to know from my fellow T-BHPians, is :-

Is this a timing belt or drive belt issue or tensioner issue?

What kind of assumption should I make, relating to the estimated cost of repair? (Before going to Honda ASC)

As always , opinions of My fellow T-BHPians will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post

What I would like to know from my fellow T-BHPians, is :-

Is this a timing belt or drive belt issue or tensioner issue?

What kind of assumption should I make, relating to the estimated cost of repair? (Before going to Honda ASC)

Thanks.
Would mostly be a serpentine belt issue and not timing belt. Had a similar issue with my Accord. The belt is quite inexpensive. Get it done along with the service and if you know the advisor well, he'll waive off the labor charges.

As far as I know, timing belts don't give any symptoms most of the time - they just snap.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:47   #51
BANNED

I have a 2007 Swift Petrol VXI ABS. Is this an interference or a non-interference engine? The manual says nothing about replacement of the timing belt? My car has run 70000 kms. I am going for my next minor service tomorrow? Do I need to do anything extra for the timing belt?
Old 21st August 2013, 17:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have a 2007 Swift Petrol VXI ABS. Is this an interference or a non-interference engine? The manual says nothing about replacement of the timing belt? My car has run 70000 kms. I am going for my next minor service tomorrow? Do I need to do anything extra for the timing belt?
What I know about the MS Swift petrol is that it uses the K12M engine and hence has a timing chain, which can last the entire life span of the engine. Thus, a change is not needed and hence, not mentioned in the manual.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If it is 2007 Swift then most probably it will have the G13BB engine. As i understand it is a non-interference engine. I have a 2006 Swift Zxi. i am surprised that the manual doesn't mention anything about the timing belt. I will check mine
Old 8th June 2020, 16:39   #54
BHPian

Now first of all, I'm not sure if the 1 ZZ FE 1.8 petrol Altis has a timing belt or chain. Assuming it is a belt, I'm in the 11th year of its ownership and have run 1,39,000 kilometres, and therefore intend to replace it.

Am I right in assuming that it has a belt? And, what all other things would I need to replace?
Old 8th June 2020, 20:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I'm not sure if the 1 ZZ FE 1.8 petrol Altis has a timing belt or chain.
A quick search on a spare parts website tells that it has got a chain.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-chain_sub_assy-5433765/

If it was belt, it is due to replace. But the chains lasts much longer is what is being told. Wise thing would be to take a look at the car's user manual which should have a mention of replacement duration.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 13:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If it was belt, it is due to replace. But the chains lasts much longer is what is being told. Wise thing would be to take a look at the car's user manual which should have a mention of replacement duration.
It indeed has a chain, and also happens to be a non interference engine.

Actually I've a 900-1000 km trip scheduled at the weekend. Was a little apprehensive of taking the car straight on the highway after over 2 months of standstill.

A quick chat with Toyota has somewhat assured me. But still is there anything specific to be seen with the chain?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks