Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 21:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a constant speed on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I wouldn't sleep when behind the wheel!
No body does it consciously. A steady drone from your engine at constant speed, straight highway and monotonous scenery has put a lot of people to sleep abroad.

We get a respite as there are dogs, cows, tractors and people constantly attempting suicidal road crossings.
Old 12th November 2011, 21:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Even if you believe that you are on constant speed, it is necessarily not. There would definitely be variations due to foot pressure variations on the accelerator pedal, road undulations etc unless you are on cruise control. Even that too can have non-uniformity.
Therefore there need not be any fear on this aspect.
Old 12th November 2011, 22:46   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We get a respite as there are dogs, cows, tractors and people constantly attempting suicidal road crossings.
+10
There is almost one accident everyday I find on the way to office. Hyderabad-Mumbai highway and the traffic is moderate with majority of long trailers, concrete carrying lorries driving in the centre dripping the cement on road to glory!

People scold the driver of the car if not slowed down when a person is crossing the road in his own will and wish. They literally do fashion shows on the road. They just don't move on honking also. Some pelt stones also, I have not personally experienced it but seen a few incidents.
Old 13th November 2011, 09:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

How do you maintain constant speeds in the Indian environment? There is no way you can do that unless you have cruise control, which can be dangerous here in India.
Old 13th November 2011, 10:11   #20
BHPian

it is the same case here.i try to maintain a constant 60 but on most of the occasions either the state bus driver or the private office buses do not let you drive peacefully. They honk if they see a vehicle in front of them irrespective of whether you can over take or not.
It is very difficult in Chennai to maintain speeds.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 15:16   #21
BHPian

I feel more than the consistency of speed, you need to manage the highway traffic. Some vehicles will fly at 100+ kmph and some people maintain 60 kmph. so even if you wish to maintain the speed, you will be forced to vary.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:40   #22
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I maintain a constant speed while driving on a highway (ofcourse, lift-off my right foot at intersections, brake for animals, etc.,) If you have a DTE meter in your car, you would find that maintaining the constant speed gives you more miles.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:47   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I maintain a constant speed while driving on a highway (ofcourse, lift-off my right foot at intersections, brake for animals, etc.,) If you have a DTE meter in your car, you would find that maintaining the constant speed gives you more miles.
Yes! I do the same thing when i drive but 80% of my drive I maintain 80 kmph constant. This is the way I drive. I feel in India if one has to drive anticipation skills must be sharp and quick.

Another notable thing that I have got in my Ritz VDi is the mileage which average out between 22 - 24kmpl. I dont get less than 20kmpl whatsoever! Maintaining constant speed gives me more miles as well as more smiles!
Old 17th February 2012, 21:32   #24
BHPian

Hey Anurag 22 - 24 kmpl is awesome mileage. My beast returns an average of 12.4 and 12.9 in the city with AC on.

On the highway it is a different story altogether. When going to Vijayawada was constantly maintaining speeds between 80 and 100 and I got a mileage of 15.2 kmpl and after crossing Vijayawada towards Vizog on the 4 lane way was doing around 120 - 130 and got a mileage of only 13.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I wouldn't sleep when behind the wheel!
Dozing off can seriously happen. Especially if the road is like the Mumbai-Pune expressway, where even the scenery around does not change.

What I do is keep the music loud and keep humming and consciously enjoy the music while cruising, this definitely helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks