Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 10:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Octavia vRS timing belt failed - Kolkata bangalore Trip

Guys, I have a 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT. Is the timing belt change interval for Laura also 60k kms? I am worried now because it has just crossed 60k kms though no signs of any problems. Ths A.S.S. guy told me that for Laura and Superb it is 90k kms.
Old 17th November 2011, 10:53   #32
Team-BHP Support

Change it for peace of mind, ignore the A.S.S guy
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 12:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Guys, I have a 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT. Is the timing belt change interval for Laura also 60k kms? I am worried now because it has just crossed 60k kms though no signs of any problems. Ths A.S.S. guy told me that for Laura and Superb it is 90k kms.
I remember seeing at the Skoda A.S.S. that it is 90 K kms for timing belt change for the TDI engines (not too sure, though).

Is your Laura a petrol or diesel?

If you are the owner of this car right from the beginning, then you can go as per the A.S.S schedule and wait for 90K kms. But, if you have bought it used, then as Ajmat mentioned, it would be safer to have a timing belt change done anyway (since the ODO reading may not be correct).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 17th November 2011 at 12:07.
Old 17th November 2011, 12:21   #34
BHPian

My Laura is a diesel and i bought it used. It had completed 44k kms when i bought it and complete service history was maintained by the previous owner.
Old 17th November 2011, 13:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
What we call Laura here is essentially the Mk II Octavia. The norms released by Skoda therefore equally (if not more) apply to Laura.

Even though you are well off the km threshold (60k miles) for a change, you are on or over the time threshold (4 years). Definitely get it changed ASAP.
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:09   #36
BHPian

Although the pros and cons of belts and chains are well documented, certain old notions like 'chains are noisier' simply do not hold true anymore in modern engines. I did not know that my SX4 had a chain till I went back to the manual and checked, after reading this thread here! So much for noise then!

I agree that belts can be more efficient and lighter and cheaper but the consequences in the event of a failure can be disastrous. That is of course, if the driver has not paid attention to maintenance intervals.

From a technology perspective [leaving aside weight, costs, NVH] I still somehow feel chains are much safer than belts.
Old 17th November 2011, 15:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I remember seeing at the Skoda A.S.S. that it is 90 K kms for timing belt change for the TDI engines (not too sure, though).
My friend changed the timing belt in his diesel Laura at 90K kms two months back. (at Skoda Kochi)
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 12:00   #38
BHPian

Welcome to the club Nishad. My vRS timing belt gave up couple of months ago at 72K almost exactly in the same scenario as yours. I was 80KM from Hyd when it happened. Got it towed to Mahavir Auto in Hyd, spent 1.3L to get it back in shape. The estimates you have been given are the bare minimum for TB failure. All valves would have bent out of shape as the failure happened while running, so they have to be replaced. If any of the pistons have to be replaced the cost may go upwards of 2L. Usually they can fix it by some lathe work. And they have not considered water pump replacement etc.

Mahavir guy said they replace TBs for all Octavias at 60k interval diesel or petrol even though for petrol the official interval is 90K. In fact if you read the Whatcar UK site's page for older vRS, premature TB failure is apparently a common occurence. Learnt the hard way. In fact a couple of times prior to this incident I complained to the service guy at Blr about the unusual noise from the engine especially on cold start in the morning. He said it could be due to a lot of things (belts, tensioners etc) and he did suspect TB as well but then neither of us pursued it since it was well below the replacement interval and I was not keen on yet another expenditure (I had got a new set of tires and a clutch this year already and the estimate for theTB job was about 40K). Later Mahavir said that basic TB job is only about 15K. 40K is probably with water pump and some other stuff.

I lodged a complaint with Skoda as well but they have not even bothered to respond. Mahavir did indicate that registering a complaint will be of no use.

Finally it took them about a month to deliver the vehicle. Required constant follow-ups though almost on a daily basis. Was apprehensive if it would feel the same driving after such a major engine job. Not disappointed. It feels as good as before. There are still some problems to be attended to - oil leakage (most likely related to the job) and o2 sensor failure (not related).

Nishad - one more thing. you might want to get the ignition coils replaced as well if they have not been yet. I had to replace all 4 this year. The car won't breakdown if one or two go kaput but it'll be firing on fewer cyclinders.

Don't give up. Have hope. Its a great car nevertheless. Can't say same about the company though.
Siva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 18:01   #39
BHPian

update! estimate now nearing 1.8 lakhs

friends, thank you so much for your great support. I could learn a lot from the individual guidance...

now the estimate is shooting up! they have included the water pump as well. I paid 3 lakhs for the car! now question is that paying an additional 2 lakhs is worth or not? I even learnt that vRS in running condition is available nearing 2- 2.4 lakhs in Mumbai. Why don't I buy a spare car for the price for the repair cost and keep it in my garage? Could be useful tomorrow if anything else goes...

really confused...
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx repair estimate.xlsx (63.6 KB, 633 views)
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 18:34   #40
BHPian

Sorry to hijack your thread but, but dang, that hardware looks overpriced!

OK, one may argue in the name of Skoda that its spares cost a bomb, and that I know diddly-squat about cost of Skoda spares (which, in fact, is true, me coming from poor-ol' Maruti stable), but 3 liters of Castrol Magnatec Professional for 2870? One can get 3L Castrol Magnatec saada for 1300 at most expensive of oil retail shops. Unless Professional is fully synthetic and in a different league altogether compared to "plain jane" Magnatec, I can well extrapolate the price being charged to other components and see why someone should be in the business of repairing Skodas.
Old 21st November 2011, 23:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: update! estimate now nearing 1.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
really confused...
Looking at the estimate, I see that they are simply and completely overhauling the engine. All the parts seem to be changed.

Now, this might be the norms in an A.S.S, but in a FNG, you may be able to save some of the good parts. This(and reduced labour bill) will make a good difference in the total bill.

So my advice: Go to a good and trustworthy outside garage.
Old 11th December 2011, 23:04   #42
BHPian

I think every vRS/TPI owner should read AJMAT's thread on the Achilles heel. This is all the more vital if you purchase pre-owned.

Btw, i thought the Lauras had a timing chain ?

Hameed, I hope you sort things out soon and that your car is back on the roads. Don't get me wrong, but i think it was a big risk you took in driving a 2005 vRS from Kolkata to Blr.

Last edited by rxpaul : 11th December 2011 at 23:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks