Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:36   #16
j_j

Had a Zen Carb 98 one for two years, gave me 11 in city AC on all time n the strange thing was gave me only 10 in highway AC on all the time, used to do 100+ kmph though always. My esteem used to give better than the zen, abt 13 in city AC on 100% and 15 to 16 in highway AC on 100% and always doing more than 100kmph.
Old 10th August 2007, 14:10   #17

Hi, I own 1996 carb Zen & it is giveing me decent FE of 14+ in city and 16+ on highway without AC. The best way to check the air fuel mixture is to inspect the spark plug at frequent intervals. Black= Rich Mixture Low FE, Off White = Very lean Mixture: Good FE on cost of engine life, Light Brown= Ideal Mixture. A/F mixture can be adjusted by rotating the A/F mixture screw in carb.
Bye.
Old 12th August 2007, 21:12   #18
BHPian

I have a 99 Nov Carb zen, which I bought second hand.

Have driven about 5300 km's since then

I was getting about 6-7 kmpl with A/C always and about 7-8kmpl with A/C off, for the first 5000 km's since I bought it.

Lately, I have got the fule-Air mixture adjusted and put in a new Air-filter and now I'm getting 8.5-9.3 Kmpl with A/C on all the time, I hardly drive without A/C and 90% of the time the A/C is on.

I'm still trying hard to get to 10kmpl with 90% A/C usage, and I shall let all know when I do get it.

I have heard of people getting 12-14 with A/C on all the time and 15-16 without A/C, but I have not personally witnessed the same.

Hope my comments help.
Old 12th August 2007, 22:31   #19
BHPian

ZEN Efficiency

Well, I have a ZEN 95 Model original Japenese Engine.

It has given a FE of 21 km in Highway and in city FE of 19,that was till 2002,Now the car gives me an average of 17 in city-now i don't take the car on highway,have couple of cars to drive on highway...

Anyway,the Point is I have not installed and KN Filter...no modification in terms of engine,just regular service(Oil change+plug clean etc) at 4k instead of 5K.
Old 12th August 2007, 22:51   #20
BHPian

I have 200 carb zen bought it second hand,
It has automech exhausts, strut brace, new carbs about 10 months old every week I check the air pressure, every 4000 kms oil change runs like a breeze. Regular cleaning at the service station.

Highway 19 with out AC
city 16 with out AC
Normal petrol

With AC FE drops drastically, I can actually see the petrol indicator going down.
Old 13th August 2007, 08:36   #21
BHPian

Some questions I have for all carb Zen owner, like myself is.

Is the difference in mileage with A/C 1-2 kmpl or is it more than that?

Yesterday I drove for 50 km's at a strech, with the A/C on and after about 30 km's the A/C bolwer was hardly throwing any air and it wasn't cool either, I switched off the A/C for about 5-7 mins' and the air blow inceased and then I turned on the A/C again and things seem fine, does this mean that the A/C system was chocked?, has anyone had a similar experience?

My Car also feels wobelly after 80 kmph and the sterring also feels a little gittery after 80 kmph, is this a wheel aligment problem and will wheel balancing take care of this, how much does wheel balancing cost?

The last couple of days, I have been driving like crazy to check the Kmpl every time I fiddle with the air-fuel mixture, and the feeling is too good when u know the mileage is going up.

There is also a seperate thread, where I had done a cost analysis, at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...n-vx-99-a.html
you may check that too.
Old 13th August 2007, 10:06   #22
BANNED

My Zen Nov 2003 ( MPFI engine) gives me 14.85 in Mumbai traffic with 10 % AC
And 13 + with 100 % AC
Old 14th August 2007, 03:54   #23
BHPian

I have achieved 10.31 kmpl on my last fill with 90% A/C, and for me it's a great feeling, as I have been struggeling to cross 10 kmpl with A/C for a long time now.
Old 27th August 2007, 17:50   #24
BHPian

Question

Do you guys think I should increase the Tyre pressure if I am running on a lower profile tyre.

I have my '97 Zen Carb running on 165/40 R13. I have been filling it at 32psi, but that was because, i read here in TBhp that if the tyre is warm, its better to go up by 2 psi. So had settled for 32.

Any one knows if i should go for more, or may be less?
Thanks
Old 27th August 2007, 19:58   #25
BHPian

Spinner, I too fill 32 psi though the recommended is 30 psi I suppose. I have a mental block and tend to think that if the tyre's are more inflated I will get better mileage, but I would like to point out the ride becomes hard when at 32 psi and very smooth at 28 psi. Have always wonderd is tyre pressure very critical for mileage or is it just a mind set.

My mileage is now between 9-10.5 kmpl with 90% AC.
Old 27th August 2007, 21:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Some questions I have for all carb Zen owner, like myself is.

Is the difference in mileage with A/C 1-2 kmpl or is it more than that?

My Car also feels wobelly after 80 kmph and the sterring also feels a little gittery after 80 kmph, is this a wheel aligment problem and will wheel balancing take care of this, how much does wheel balancing cost?

Yes the difference is max of 1-2kmpl.
Regarding the woobling issue, Check out wheel bearings , alignment.
Also check you lower arm, tie rod 's etc
Wheel balancing will depend on how much weight is added. It would cost you around 150 rs if u have steel rims. add another 50rs extra if u have Mag/alloy wheels(weight is costly as it's a sticker)
alignment, balancing will cost around 250-300rs.
Old 27th August 2007, 21:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Off topic..
Well Ppl .. I sold my Zen just 2 hrs back...
I'm feeling like I'm missin something in Life. Zen is such a wonderful car, I just can really express how it always felt to be in ZEN.
True Driver's car.
People who had owned/ Own will realize the value of the Zen. Such an amazing car..
I'm thinking of writing/opening a thread abt my Zen.
Life moves right....
If Maruti Ever launches Zen once again with the same Jelly bean Zen.. I'm gonna surely Own a new Zen...
As of now
Bye Bye Zen ....
Welcome Honda city ( OHC)
Old 29th August 2007, 10:04   #28
BANNED

Dear sushrutha
Congrats on new car! I can understand how you must be feeling after selling Zen, anyways OHC is great car, I am sure you will definitely fall in love in OHC

Your OHC is of which year, how much did you pay for her ? looking ahead to get details with Snaps !
Also as a true zen lover awaiting for your new thread on zen

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 29th August 2007, 10:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys I had a 2000 Mar Carb Zen and sold it about 2 months back. The car had done 84K kms. The average FE I got almost constantly over all these years was 15-16 kmpl city and 17-18 highway with 100% AC. Tyre pressure was maintained @ 30psi and regular servicing (more or less) @ 5500 Km mark.
I still miss my zen. Its a great car and I think suzuki has killed it deliberately by launching these funny new models of zen over the past 2 years or so.
Old 29th August 2007, 11:22   #30
BHPian

I guess the place you belong to also contributes a lot to how much mileage you get, I see that people in Delhi and NCR region also get higher than people in Mumbai or worst of the lot Kolkata. I have been driving my carb zen within the city these last couple of days and my mileage has come down to 8 kmpl with AC, have always wondered how people are getting 14-16 kmpl with AC in the city, simply amases me, I mean just want could I be doing wrong, have tuned the engine about 300 kms back, keep the car in good condition, but still nogo. Anyways shall keep trying till I achive some decent figures on my carb zen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks