Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 13:33   #16
BANNED

Re: Tail lamps - too bright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I would agree with theMAG. The whole purpose is to make sure that the trailing car sees the car in front no matter what the weather conditions are like. Sure, we can try to reduce the inconvience in calm conditions such as pulling handbrake while standing in traffic instead of keeping the foot on the brake and making sure we lower our headlights unless it is needed. But to say we should use bulbs with lower power to reduce, what is in my opinion, a minor inconvenience is taking it a step too far!
I agree to it completely. Brake lights are meant to grab attention.
I would also like to add something. There are many cars who have there brake light cover's damaged, exposing the silver reflective material inside. When applied brakes these glow like headlights and hurt the eyes. People also need to be prompt to get the covers replaced in such cases.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Tata indigo has the brightest tail lamps or are they rear fog lamps.
they are a pain for me whenever one is ahead either i have to increase the distance or overtake.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:41   #18
BHPian

I feel some cars with the double barrel design (Aveo, Santro..) are way to bright.. I have found cars that come with a small fader (a plastic stuff protruding within the tail light assembly) in front of the bulb, helps reduce the brightness and throw light around the reflectors..
Old 21st November 2011, 14:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
they are a pain for me whenever one is ahead either i have to increase the distance or overtake.

I was to say the same thing. Infact its Indigo CS which has the most disturbing Tail light glare.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2011, 14:25   #20
BHPian

At times especially when one is tired and returning hone at night some tail lights can be stressful to look at. Indirect LED lighting may be better which some of the premium market use like BMWs and Mercs. That said, I like bright clear lights that dont glare too much.
When it comes to brake lights
- we must keep in mind that the brake lights must be clearly visible even during the day in bright direct sunlight
- it makes a car look newer if the lights are clear and bright - but not hurtingly so (eg. people ignorantly turning on rear fog lights even in non fog conditions or using extra bright lights to simply barge their way through traffic - a psychological phenomenon).
Old 21st November 2011, 15:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
I was to say the same thing. Infact its Indigo CS which has the most disturbing Tail light glare.

Cheers
ohh yes i forgot to put the details its the CS,and not the manza or the normal one.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:32   #22
BHPian

Can not help. I guess they are kept to meet road safety standards by the manufacturers. I doubt these cars have upgraded tail bulbs that is irritating all here. I doubt people will think of this irritation while pressing brake pedal, and surely it can be avoided as well.

May be these could help,
1. Keep enough distance from the car in front (especially the ones catagorised here in first few posts)
2. Keep the windhield clean (wipers in good condition, good washer liquid solution added etc.)
3. Keep your spectacles clean and scratch free if you wear one
4. Stare at better things in traffic than light clusters.

Thanks!
Shyam
Old 21st November 2011, 22:41   #23
BHPian

What is the Standard when it comes to Tail Lamps in India.

Is it one light on each side or two on each side?
Is there a minimum and maximum brightness standard?

Some of those Santros have two big bright lights on both side which really is distracting. At the same time if you see toyota fortunner has small and crisp lights

Regards
Old 21st November 2011, 23:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2011 at 18:56.
Rahulkool is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2011, 00:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I would agree with theMAG. The whole purpose is to make sure that the trailing car sees the car in front no matter what the weather conditions are like. Sure, we can try to reduce the inconvience in calm conditions such as pulling handbrake while standing in traffic instead of keeping the foot on the brake and making sure we lower our headlights unless it is needed. But to say we should use bulbs with lower power to reduce, what is in my opinion, a minor inconvenience is taking it a step too far!
Couldn't agree more, infact the same lights are required to serve their purpose in broad daylight also. Are bulbs used for brakelights which have 2 filaments (if that is the correct term) available in lesser voltage, I have my doubts, please someone clear. Infact, the problem is with having 5 brakelights (2L+2R+1 centre) instead of 3 (1L+1R+1centre), then if foglights are on its even worse.
I feel for Santro, the holders using 2-filament bulbs can be replaced in either set (top or below) with 1-filament (same as indicator one) and it should be connected with new independent switch and high voltage bulbs, (same as indicator ones) should be used and this set-up should be used as fog lights. (as Santro doesn't have one at rear). Now for remaining one it should be used as it is. Low for parking, hi as brakelights plus one on top at the centre. Just my personal thought...
Old 22nd November 2011, 08:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

I hate following santros and accents with those stupid brake lamps. Imagine an accent with an integrated spoiler that would light up 6 bulbs on your face, really irritating in stop go traffic or while its raining.

Come to think of it, the audis/bmws/mercs have much brighter and much visible tail lamps but they do not hurt our eyes nor have the 'on-the-face' effect, do they?
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:01   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I never felt any inconvenience due to the tail lamps, maybe i am not directly looking at these lamps. But now after seeing this discussion, I think I will start looking at the tail lamps. Also, will make sure to take my leg from the brake pedal in signals and apply the hand brakes.

I am sure manufacturers would have met the RTO standards for tail lamp as well when they are following the same for head lamps which are very dull for highway drives.
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yes, particularly the newer model Indigo cars have a very bright tail lamps. I own one of the older models and the tail lamps in my car are not annoying, I guess.
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:37   #29
BHPian

In my experience, ordinary tail-lights are never a problem.
I have however been dazzled by:
1. Cars whose brake lights are constantly on (usually happens when bulbs or wiring are messed about by a road-side mechanic) i.e, the extra bright filament is wired into normal tail-light circuit.
2. Some people have a section of the red tail-light lens missing or broken, and you can see the naked bulb shining white straight on your face.
3. Ignoramuses who use rear fog lights at all times after sunset!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks