Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Tyre sound on braking in the i10

Hey all,
I have a almost 4 years old i10 magna 1.1.
I have upgraded to 14 inches couple of yrs back. Details below in the link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1823642

It was absolutely going perfect till my recent road trip from Delhi - Vaishno Devi. I noticed when at high speed u brake gradually (Without clutch), its obvious tires are gonna make sound, but they make a very uncomfortable sound as if the front tires are wobbling. But all tyres are properly fixed and doing good. Today i face the same issue while driving to IGI airport. Does anyone has any idea what am i talking about. Help.
I plan to take it to service center, but not sure how will i explain the problem to them.
Some help or suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Shobhit
Old 21st November 2011, 11:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Tyre sound on braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by keralshobhit View Post
But all tyres are properly fixed and doing good.
What about wheel alignment? When was the last time you got your wheel alignment checked?
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 11:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It could also be a brake disc issue. There may be dirt between the pads and the disc or the disc may be warped.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 16:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It could also be a brake disc issue. There may be dirt between the pads and the disc or the disc may be warped.
if it is, than must be just the front brakes, i will get them cleaned and see if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
What about wheel alignment? When was the last time you got your wheel alignment checked?
car was serviced and aligned almost a month back, but before the Vaishno Devi trip. I doubt the Panipat - Jalandhar Soma flyover construction played horror with my i10 wheels. I will get the alignment checked tomorrow itself. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre sound on braking in the i10

Does it also go sideways while hard braking.? how much on the oddo??
You should get the the pads and rotors checked.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:31   #6
BHPian

Does the break pedal vibrate when hard braking and the vehicle feels like wobbling when breaks are engaged at medium to high speeds, I had a similar experience on my santro years back, when the tires were looking almost perfect from outside. It was finally diagnosed that the inner wall on the front tire became too weak/damaged thanks to potholes and undulations. Please check your tire walls(both in and out) for bulge/damage/weakness
Th!ru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

So what is it exactly , a tire squeal or the wheels locking and tires screeching ? Usually tires squeal when the sidewall comes into picture. The most common reason attributed for this when rubber is sliding over the road surface.

Now you say
Quote:
but they make a very uncomfortable sound as if the front tires are wobbling
I would say start off with checking the alignment and then move on to the discs and check for warping. Ideally if there is an issue with the brakes (warping) then your cars stopping time would increase. Don't hit the panic button yet , get the alignment and balancing done again from a renowned place 1st and rotate all 4 tires.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Does it also go sideways while hard braking.? how much on the oddo??
You should get the the pads and rotors checked.
No it was not exactly going sideways, but when i gradually brake ( not immediate) than front tyres makes a sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Does the break pedal vibrate when hard braking and the vehicle feels like wobbling when breaks are engaged at medium to high speeds, I had a similar experience on my santro years back, when the tires were looking almost perfect from outside. It was finally diagnosed that the inner wall on the front tire became too weak/damaged thanks to potholes and undulations. Please check your tire walls(both in and out) for bulge/damage/weakness
Nopes brake pedal was stable, yeah feels like wobbling.but actually not wobbling...its a very discomfort feeling that there is some problem with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
So what is it exactly , a tire squeal or the wheels locking and tires screeching ? Usually tires squeal when the sidewall comes into picture. The most common reason attributed for this when rubber is sliding over the road surface.

Now you say

I would say start off with checking the alignment and then move on to the discs and check for warping. Ideally if there is an issue with the brakes (warping) then your cars stopping time would increase. Don't hit the panic button yet , get the alignment and balancing done again from a renowned place 1st and rotate all 4 tires.
Yeah i went to BK tyres Lajpat nagar, Delhi from where i got the alloys and tyres 2 yrs back. He got the front two tyres balances and discovered the problem in the one tyre valve, replaced the valve. Car movement is better but i was not able to test the sound issue since it needs a lot of speed and it was impossible to do that in office hrs. I will get the alignment done today and than try to check it again, or maybe get the brakes checked also.will get the tyres rotated also.

Thanks all. will update soon
Old 24th November 2011, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Well got the tyre alignment done yesterday, got the back tyres in the front.
to my surprise discovered a side wall of one tyre swollen up ( Man these are new XM1). I went to BK tyres and got the tyre out for inspection, fitted the new spare tyre fitted on alloy. Just got a call from Micheline inspesction team that typre has taken a beating or impact and they will just reimburse 50% of it. Sad story for me, but have no other option. Will get the replacement new tyre on the other side in front . so that both front have new tyres. But after all this issues my core problem remains intact. The alignment guy was saying that your brake are about to go and you will need an replacement in next 500km. Can this be a reason. seriously WTH.
Old 24th November 2011, 13:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Thanks your point proved right.Moreover discovered a nail in one tyre to, and got the puncture repaired.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keralshobhit View Post
Thanks your point proved right.Moreover discovered a nail in one tyre to, and got the puncture repaired.
You are welcome, hope the underlying issues too will resolve soon. One more thing you can try - not sure how feasible it is. You could try with a set of the regular r13 rims and tires from another i10 of a friend or through the service centre. That will help you localize the problem to the brake module or the tire/rims.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks