Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 19:03   #91
BHPian

Re: TSI, TSFI, FSI, CGI Engines -Will these work properly with Indian petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Thanks. Just a question though. So the CGI technology makes the car more fuel efficient and possibly mildly more powerful right? But speed 97 costs 15rs more than normal unleaded petrol for litre. So even if the car gives you 1.5 or 2 kms more per litre you actually would not be saving much. Does this logic make sense?

Or are there other advantages in the CGI technology?

Also, do you have any idea about the FE i can expect on this car?
CGI doesn't just increase the mileage by 2kms/l .. its more than that.

You can expect a mileage of around 9-10 km/l in city traffic with AC. There are people who get more that that too.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 19:25   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Yesterday in workshop I had a chance to service a C-200 CGI. When I took it up on ramp I was surprised to find a normal exhaust rather than a complicated one with 2 catalytic converters, 4 sensors, bypass pipe etc which we had studied about.

So to cut it all in short these are just normal direct injection petrol engines running normal AF ratios.
They don't run on stratified mode (crazy lean mode) for which they are actually designed.

Reason : low octane fuel , they need atleast 95 Ron fuel.

Countries which have high octane fuel available have these engines running what they are designed for.
Great info.
So the only visual ID of stratified mode is this dual, complex exhaust pipe? If my Laura TSI has a simple, single exhaust pipe, then will it confirm that it's a turbo chanrged, direct injection petrol engine, but running on regular air-fuel ratio (14.x)?
Or can there be a stratified mode car with simple exhaust (stratification achieved with the aid of something else)?

Thanks again for this wonderful topic.
Old 15th June 2012, 19:51   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Great info.
So the only visual ID of stratified mode is this dual, complex exhaust pipe? If my Laura TSI has a simple, single exhaust pipe, then will it confirm that it's a turbo chanrged, direct injection petrol engine, but running on regular air-fuel ratio (14.x)?
Or can there be a stratified mode car with simple exhaust (stratification achieved with the aid of something else)?

Thanks again for this wonderful topic.
I think its a turbocharged ,direct injection petrol engine running normal AFR's.

You can confirm it from the "fault diagnosis guy" in the workshop next time you leave your vehicle for service. Fault Diagnosis guy because these are the people who are trained by skoda when new engines are launched & they know every technical thing about it.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 15th June 2012 at 19:54.
Old 27th June 2012, 13:35   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal

I think its a turbocharged ,direct injection petrol engine running normal AFR's.

You can confirm it from the "fault diagnosis guy" in the workshop next time you leave your vehicle for service. Fault Diagnosis guy because these are the people who are trained by skoda when new engines are launched & they know every technical thing about it.
Ok. To my amateur eyes this doesn't look like a simple exhaust pipe. With these avg. pics could you tell if the CGI technology exists in my car?

Name:  ForumRunner_20120627_133453.png
Views: 988
Size:  454.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120627_133504.png
Views: 622
Size:  457.0 KB
Old 27th June 2012, 22:17   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Ok. To my amateur eyes this doesn't look like a simple exhaust pipe. With these avg. pics could you tell if the CGI technology exists in my car?]
No CGI tech is not present. Not even a single Mercedes sold in India has it.

By simple exhaust pipe i meant (manifold > upstream o2 sensor > catcon > downstream o2 sensor > some sort of cooler > muffler > muffler tip)

This all is present on your C - 200 but

A Mercedes engine with working CGI tech needs ( nox catcon,main pipe,bypass pipe,bypass valve,nox sensor,temp sensor) in addition to already existing components of your exhaust.

By the way Congrats on your C - 200
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 19:29   #96
BHPian

Came to this thread while searching for some else matter on the forum.
This type of threads tells that Automobile Engineering has become far head from just “suction, compression, power & exhaust stroke”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post

By simple exhaust pipe i meant (manifold > upstream o2 sensor > catcon > downstream o2 sensor > some sort of cooler > muffler > muffler tip)

This all is present on your C - 200 but
By the way Congrats on your C - 200
How you came to know that car is Mercedes (& model if C 200) by only seeing pics?
Please mark cooler part in picture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks