Team-BHP - Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer code)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer code) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/111467-swift-ddis-svs-light-turns-off-only-after-engine-starts-ecu-records-immobilizer-code.html)

Hello Mods, Friends and Experts,

Greetings to all! :)

I have a query regarding an issue that my car has been experiencing. Its a Swift DDIS(ABS). It has completed three years this month. Its a well maintained car with engine oil and oil filter changed at every 5000Km and serviced at regular intervals. The ODO is about to cross 29000km.

The issue started 2 months back. It was in the mid rainy afternoon and the car had started with no issues at the first attempt. A 4 km drive. Parked the car. Had lunch at a restaurant. Headed towards the destination back in my car to another 4-5 kms with friends. We finished our work in about 30 mins. Headed towards the car. Turned on the ignition waited for the SVS light to turn off and then attempted to crank the engine.
It started up and it turned off immediately with the SVS light blinking continuously. I turned off the ignition waited for 5 seconds. Tried cranking the engine and it wont start. Again turned off the ignition waited for say around 10 seconds, attempted to crank the engine and it started up just fine. I noticed that prior to the engine start, as normally I do, I wait for the SVS light to turn off itself, but now it didnt, and would turn off only when the engine starts up.

Went to MASS, got their SDT connected and checked the error code. It said "P1612 & P1613 - Immobilizer Malf".

They cleared the error, and suggested me to continue using the car, as this might be a one off, however it happened just again in a weeks time, exactly the same behavior albeit the engine started up at the second attempt. The error code registered was the same. They cleared the bit and advised me to use my second key as they suspected key electronics to be the culprit.

All went fine for almost close to 2 months, and one fine morning around 15-20 days back at the first attempt of the day to crank my engine, it again gave the same issue, but the engine started at the second attempt. (Please make a note, I am using the second spare key as suggested by MASS advisor)

Checked again with MASS, and its the same error code. We are able to see this code when we click the History option of SDT. They say, it saves it to history from current, hence it comes up under history section of SDT when the issue has occurred and recorded by the ECU.

The issue has occurred thrice in these 15-20 days and another service advisor is pointing to a weak battery even though the error code mentions something different as above.
However I am not convinced, because the engine starts and then dies immediately as if someone has turned off via the key. And the car even starts up with no signs of a too weak battery before or after this issue has occurred.

They have asked me to leave the car with them for 2 days starting today. I am not comfortable keeping the car that long, but have no option although they have been co-operating so far as they should. I have asked them to check with their service battery which they say they don't have and would try to arrange one. I doubt in two days they would get the same issue, as it sometimes just works fine for more then a day/week/month. If they nail down to a weak battery, they should let me check it with service battery for at-least a month considering the behavior of this issue.
DDIS battery is too costly compared to petrol version swift. The reason I have not yet bought a new battery is "what if the issue remains even after the battery change" as the error code talks something else. I would then have already dented my pocket with 10k for a new battery for no fault of it.

Has anyone in our forum ever experienced similar issue with their Swift DDIS where the problem identified was a weak battery as against what the error code talks and that being the final resolution.

Please pour in your thoughts and experience, as it would help me understand and drive this issue to a good resolution without damaging anything in my car.

@anshurao,
I read your similar issue in Jaggu's thread but I didn't pay attention if the water filter light too had come up in my cars case. And again, you have not mentioned the error code. Was it the same error code that your car ECU reported ?

@Mods,
I didn't find a dedicated thread for SVS light issue, nor do I want to hijack anyone elses thread which apparently is ownership review, hence started one. Please move it as suitable if not appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

tush.

hi
well i had a similar problems but this is not a swift but ford suv 2.4 tcdi
i just took delivery of the car and in 20 minutes i had svs light
and aircon stopped working i went back to the service station
and fault was found was in the fuse box 1 relay was loose
just removed the relay cleaned it and refiited it and problems solves
no problems since last 6month
so please check
regards
narry

yup it probably is a weak battery. had read in the mega swift thread that SVS light / water in fuel light usually points to a weak battery. could be wrong though.

90% chance that its the battery. Ask the SA if he has a spare battery somewhere and check with that.

Since it is an ABS equipped car, try checking the brakes; the pads may have worn out near to their end. Had similar problem in my car. Problem resolved after changing the pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 2587549)
90% chance that its the battery.

Can you explain why please?

I am afraid I don't have an answer to the "why". However, my experience, coupled with quite a few other ones on the forum, says that the lights misbehaving on a Swift VDI point to a weak battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tush (Post 2587446)
It was in the mid rainy afternoon and the car had started with no issues at the first attempt. A 4 km drive. Parked the car. Had lunch at a restaurant. Headed towards the destination back in my car to another 4-5 kms with friends.

I wonder what kind of mileage you would get for such short distance driving :D

As of the light, suggest you to get a spare battery from the M.A.S.S and try. I doubt if it would be light on your pocket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 2588061)
I am afraid I don't have an answer to the "why". However, my experience, coupled with quite a few other ones on the forum, says that the lights misbehaving on a Swift VDI point to a weak battery.

Logically, if the battery is low, the car should also give some problems while he cranks the engine.Maximum power is required to crank the engine.
But that's not happening. How can that be a low battery issue.
Or is it that its a warning that the battery is soon to die. I have no clue about the technicality, but this is what appealed my common sense. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 2588061)

agree:

One day in june after driving for over 550kms I stopped for tea break 30 kms ahead of my destination and tried to crank up but the engine goes off, which I felt abnormal, however in second attempt car started and I started driving only to notice the below warning lights after driving couple of meters.

Engine warning light and Fuel filter water trap(diesel engines)
Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer code)-eng_man_light_72.jpg Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer code)-water_trap_light_72.jpg

Got this checked at service center and informed that this combination relates to weak battery. Went to 2 other battery shops and got confirmed that the battery is actually dying. Replaced the battery and that problem didnt occur till now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_power (Post 2588074)
Logically, if the battery is low, the car should also give some problems while he cranks the engine.Maximum power is required to crank the engine.
But that's not happening. How can that be a low battery issue.
Or is it that its a warning that the battery is soon to die. I have no clue about the technicality, but this is what appealed my common sense. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last winter, I had a similar problem on our 3 year old LDi (IIRC, 80K on Odo back then). At times, the warning lights in the meter console stayed ON even after starting the car. I was told by MASS to replace the battery. And read about the 'Christmas Tree' effect on the DDiS here in TBHP as well. :)

The battery was good enough to start the engine but may need some additional cranks at times in the morning and late night. I thought it was due to winter. And I was not convinced to spend money on a new battery at first. But with the multiple sensors on the MJD, I was not ready to take a risk with the warning lights. So went ahead, changed the battery and everything went back to normal. :thumbs up

The cranks used to go hyper with the new battery and only then I realized that the OEM battery was weak indeed. You wouldn't know the state of the battery because one would get used to the starting pattern over a period of time.

I don't know the technical reason, but the battery doesn't last long in the DDiS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 2588563)
I don't know the technical reason, but the battery doesn't last long in the DDiS.

Shocking news, I just got myself a DDiS..!
How frequently do we have to change the battery.
Do we need to charge it as well? If yes, what's the interval?
Does pressing clutch while cranking the engine help??

I don't know about the other modern day Diesels. And I made that comment relative to our earlier cars which were all petrols.

To be fair, the Swift was 3.5 years old and had around 80K on the clock when we changed the battery. I dont know whether charging or declutching will help. Btw, can a maintenance free battery be charged?

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_power (Post 2588569)
Shocking news, I just got myself a DDiS..!
How frequently do we have to change the battery.
Do we need to charge it as well? If yes, what's the interval?
Does pressing clutch while cranking the engine help??

Do not worry. My OE battery lasted for 3 years and 85,000 kms.

My Linea stopped abruptly while i was travelling to my native.
Odo screen showed almost all errors , AirBag, EBD, ABS errors.
I was not able to start the engine and the culprit was Battery only.
My car is almost 2.8 years and 35K old.
After changing the Battery by spending Rs.7500, Everything backs to Normal.
I too heard Battery Issue with Swift DDIS.
The Battery Rate of Swift DDIS is more than Rs. 9000