Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2011, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Strange noise when braking

Hi Experts
Need some expert advice.

Have been getting some strange sound while braking in my Swift VDI( 2 years old, 13K ODO). The sound damps out as Car comes
to halt or slows down enough. This started happening after my 4th Paid Servicing two weeks back. When Idle, the Brake press
doesnt seem to make any noise, but its very evident when slowing down from 50kmph speed with glasses up. Had shown to MASS
last week, they removed the front wheel and cleaned the brake pads with Sand paper( see PIC). During the test drive it
looked fine , but sound started coming after 20KM of so. MASS was mentioning, I may need to change brake Knuckle or wheel
bearinigs if the problem resurfaced. Need expert advice as I need to see MASS again this week, as problem resurfaced.

Also, one more issue was , during my recent service MASS suggested to change the Clutch assembly ( costing 7.5K) stating it
has worn out. I went ahead with SA adivce though I was reluctant, fearing mid way breakdown. My car is Self driven and
mostly inside Bangalore traffic, with ODO of 13K , is it normal to Clucth to wear out so fast. Have attached some snaps of
faulty flywheel assembly, is is possible to make out anything from snaps. Did MASS cheat me ?
Thanks
Vajo
Attached Thumbnails
Strange noise when braking-img00061201111201121.jpg  

Strange noise when braking-img00062201111201301.jpg  

Strange noise when braking-img00064201111201302.jpg  

Old 27th November 2011, 18:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strange Noise when Braking, Swift VDI , with 13 ODO

Clutch plates last for around 60K on an average with normal driving .If you have been riding your clutch ,yes you can cook your clutch in 2k kms

Some signs of clutch wear :
1- Poor pick up
2- Engine revvs but car doesnt gain speed
3- Poor FE
4- Shuddering/Juddering of the car when you release the clutch

On Braking ,I would suggest you rely on the MASS ,as they are experts than any one of us over here .
Old 27th November 2011, 18:32   #3
BHPian

I dont think there is much of a problem with the assembly. The issues of clutch changes to make a quick buck have been discussed often in tbhp. Look up the appropriate thread and see for yourself. Have you done the alignment of your wheels lately?
Old 27th November 2011, 19:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Vajo, my Punto EP had this deep growling "whoosh" sound from the front left wheel when braked. I also noticed the black powdery residue on that wheel is getting less and less during the weekend car washes. The sound will be more pronounced when the brake-pad is warm and when braked in 4/5 gears.

The problem was rectified when the worn-out brake pad replaced. Compare the black residue with the other front wheel for a clue.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 27th November 2011 at 20:04.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajo View Post
The sound damps out as Car comes
to halt or slows down enough.
Probable reasons:
  • Hard(bad quality pads)
  • Worn out rotor (Check for deep lines in the rotor).
  • Worn out pads.
Soluitions:
  • Replace pads
  • Phase rotors
  • Replace pads
Quote:
is it normal to Clucth to wear out so fast. Have attached some snaps of
faulty flywheel assembly, is is possible to make out anything from snaps. Did MASS cheat me ?
Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html

You'll get all the advise you'll ever need regarding this issue.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 14:21   #6
BHPian

re: Strange noise when braking

Hi All

Sorry , could not post the updates after my last post two weeks back.

Last week had left the vehicle at MASS, the Senior SA went on suggesting to change Pads, Disk etc etc. However luckily the other chap who did the Test drive suggested that he will clean the pads with some liquid which should solve the problem ,and in case not, we will go for replacing. Luckily haven't got the noise after that. Keeping fingers crossed for some more kilometers before deciding the next action.

Thanks
Vajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:15   #7
BHPian

Whoosh sound while braking (Chevrolet Spark)

My 2009 Chevrolet Spark has done just under 25,000 km, so far. Moderate speeds and cautious driving within the city only. Two issues are of concern right now and I really hope that fellow BHPians and experts can shed some light on this:

1. A week after scheduled service that included change of brake oil and new wheel cylinders from the GM service centre (in Ghaziabad nearby), there's a new 'whoosh' kind of sound when I apply brakes during driving at moderate speeds. Never heard this before, so very worried about this new problem.

2. Till a couple of months ago, on few occasions, the steering used to make a weird and scary grinding noise when turned after starting from a parked place (home/elsewhere). Not anymore. When I raised this, the ASS chaps and the GM manager for the zone told me unless they hear it first hand, they cannot figure what it could have been. My fear is that if left un-diagnosed, it could lead to some major damage and cost.

Planning to take it again for inspection to the workshop. But honestly, with the experience of the past 6 years with these guys, I don't have much confidence that they'll do a thorough and careful examination. Instead they'll most likely suggest replacing a major component(s) at ridiculously high cost. Worse still, that may not resolve the issue.

Any thoughts on this please? Is it safe if I continue to drive around within Delhi?
curios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Whoosh sound while braking (Chevrolet Spark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
2. Till a couple of months ago, on few occasions, the steering used to make a weird and scary grinding noise when turned after starting from a parked place (home/elsewhere). Not anymore.
Does your Spark have power steering? Could be that the power steering fluid is over/has a leak. Should be an easy diagnosis/quick fix that even a neighborhood garage will do.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
1. A week after scheduled service that included change of brake oil and new wheel cylinders from the GM service centre (in Ghaziabad nearby), there's a new 'whoosh' kind of sound when I apply brakes during driving at moderate speeds. Never heard this before, so very worried about this new problem.
It perhaps indicates air in the braking system which typically happens if they have not been bled properly and air entered the system. Does the B pedal feel spongy/go all the way down?

This may be solved by bleeding the brakes again and refilling brake fluid.
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 12:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Does your Spark have power steering? Could be that the power steering fluid is over/has a leak. Should be an easy diagnosis/quick fix that even a neighborhood garage will do.
Yes, it has PS. The steering fluid was topped up. And they say they did a check from the outside and found things to be fine. This is what is bothering me. I suspect (and rightly so after many instances) that they do the bare minimum unless there's a chance of replacing a major part or assembly.

When somebody says they've never heard of a sound like the one I described, before me, it's a no-brainer even for a non-technical person like me that something's not right.

Something must have been amiss to cause that sound, and though it's not happening anymore, my steering continues to be stiff from time to time. Again, they say it's fine according to them. And writing to GM only helped to an extent. Clearly 'diagnosis' is a sham as far as these chaps are concerned.

Any suggestions for an experienced technician in Delhi NCR who can at least advise on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
It perhaps indicates air in the braking system which typically happens if they have not been bled properly and air entered the system. Does the B pedal feel spongy/go all the way down?

This may be solved by bleeding the brakes again and refilling brake fluid.
Yes, I think the brake pedal does feel 'spongy' or soft as you described but a bit like before. Though the sound is something entirely new.

Is it a case of poor quality of job done as you say, during brake fluid draining and replacing?

Quote:
My 2009 Chevrolet Spark has done just under 25,000 km, so far. Moderate speeds and cautious driving within the city only. Two issues are of concern right now and I really hope that fellow BHPians and experts can shed some light on this:

2. Till a couple of months ago, on few occasions, the steering used to make a weird and scary grinding noise when turned after starting from a parked place (home/elsewhere). Not anymore. When I raised this, the ASS chaps and the GM manager for the zone told me unless they hear it first hand, they cannot figure what it could have been. My fear is that if left un-diagnosed, it could lead to some major damage and cost.

Planning to take it again for inspection to the workshop. But honestly, with the experience of the past 6 years with these guys, I don't have much confidence that they'll do a thorough and careful examination. Instead they'll most likely suggest replacing a major component(s) at ridiculously high cost. Worse still, that may not resolve the issue.

Any thoughts on this please? Is it safe if I continue to drive around within Delhi?
I'm sorry I missed mentioning here that the steering has felt stiff from time to time for well over 6-7 months now. Is it in any way related to my tyres, which are over 8 years old, or could this be something else around the steering system? thanks..

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th February 2017 at 13:30. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 4th February 2017, 12:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A little bit of whoosh sound while braking is normal. It the vacuum.

However, if you have a problem with braking, like pedal going down further than normal, also, if you press and hold the pedal it slowly goes down, you should get it checked. The booster and MC. Also, check for any vacuum leaks.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 13:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I think the brake pedal does feel 'spongy' or soft as you described but a bit like before. Though the sound is something entirely new.

Is it a case of poor quality of job done as you say, during brake fluid draining and replacing?
Yes, do start with bleeding them once again to see if this simple exercise does the trick. If not, you may have to get the master cylinder checked and see if that needs a replacement.

Take them to a good FNG if you feel the authorized centre believes more in the 'replacing than repairing' philosophy.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Re: Strange noise when braking

Got it checked the day before. After rubbing the brake pads with sandpaper, and greasing the calipers, the whoosh sound is gone for now. Braking effectiveness is all right but still checking it out. Also got the clutch 'adjusted' (the supervisor told the mechanic "clutch gira do"), and it became a bit harder as I had wanted. Earlier, it was too soft and the accelerator coordination was out of sync, with what felt like jumpy driving. Now that seems better.

However, the engine doesn't feel as smooth at gears 1,2 and 3. Any connection with the clutch adjustment they just did?

The steering has been making a brushing sound (as if plastics are grazing against each other) upon turning sometimes. I've been given the option to replace some kind of coil related to the horn at Rs.1700-1800 plus labour. Any thoughts on what this coil is all about in the Spark?
Old 11th February 2017, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Got it checked the day before. After rubbing the brake pads with sandpaper, and greasing the calipers, the whoosh sound is gone for now. Braking effectiveness is all right but still checking it out. Also got the clutch 'adjusted' (the supervisor told the mechanic "clutch gira do"), and it became a bit harder as I had wanted. Earlier, it was too soft and the accelerator coordination was out of sync, with what felt like jumpy driving. Now that seems better.

However, the engine doesn't feel as smooth at gears 1,2 and 3. Any connection with the clutch adjustment they just did?

The steering has been making a brushing sound (as if plastics are grazing against each other) upon turning sometimes. I've been given the option to replace some kind of coil related to the horn at Rs.1700-1800 plus labour. Any thoughts on what this coil is all about in the Spark?
Hoping for some advice here please. The steering continues to feel stiff from time to time while driving. Felt a lot more so today, for instance. The brushing noise has turned even more annoying each time I turn the wheel.

And the clutch-accelerator coordination just doesn't feel good. The occasional shudder/judder I've been reading about, happens in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, the engine noise is higher plus the pick up is very bad till I move up the gear level.

All this is driving me nuts now, as I cannot figure why I'm worse off after the servicing than before. At least the clutch-accelerator issue wasn't there. This seems the only place where some sane voices can be heard. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hoping for some advice here please. The steering continues to feel stiff from time to time while driving. Felt a lot more so today, for instance.
Could be an issue with the power steering belt and perhaps, the rack may need to be examined. Worst case, the power steering module may be about to fail. Has the steering warning light ever lit up on the instrument console? It could also be good to check with an OBD scanner if any error code is found on the ECU. In addition, it could also be a weak battery. Check if you can find a good FNG who can troubleshoot as this could be expensive if misdiagnosed.

Quote:
And the clutch-accelerator coordination just doesn't feel good. The occasional shudder/judder I've been reading about, happens in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, the engine noise is higher plus the pick up is very bad till I move up the gear level.
Seems like a clutch issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks