Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Engine head overhaul for a broken diverter valve problem.

Hello BHPians,

Last friday, my ikon (1.3 Flair) had a overheating problem. I however realized it only when I saw some smoke coming out from the engine bay. Luckily, I was in my office parking by then. I had it towed to the ford service center. The problem was found to be a broken coolant diverter valve.

The service guy replaced the diverter assembly and also the coolant (as it was emptied because of the broken valve). He also mentioned that they need to do a engine head overhaul as the coolant might have leaked into the engine. I am not sure if this is absolutely required or what the consequences of not doing this would be.

I did not let them open up the engine. I have been driving it for 2 days and found no problems since. I am however worried.

How do you guys think?

....Shiv
Old 28th November 2011, 18:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Engine head overhaul for a broken diverter valve problem.

If your car is working fine, exactly as before with no loss in power or without over heating, don't worry. The diverter valve conking out is a common Ikon issue, I don't think anyone, including me had to get an engine head overhaul because of that. Just observe for the next few weeks and if you find any difference in how your car is behaving as compared to before, do update this thread.
Old 28th November 2011, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Here are some self-checks you can carry out:

-Does the exhaust let out white/bluish (not black) smoke upon revving up the engine?

- Do you see foam/froth on the engine oil dip stick?

If you get "yes"for above scenarios then indeed you'll need to get the engine head opened up and at the very least need to replace the head-gasket.
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 19:01   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv View Post
Hello BHPians,

Last friday, my ikon (1.3 Flair) had a overheating problem. I however realized it only when I saw some smoke coming out from the engine bay.
==============
How do you guys think?

....Shiv
Do you find any kind of smoke coming out of the exhaust (bluish colour) If yes then there may be a leak of oil/coolant into the combustion chamber!

Check the engine oil level and coolant level regularly too.
This is what I feel. Guru's please comment.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:47   #5
BHPian

Engine oil level - If you see any increase in the oil level, it is an indication of coolant leaking into the engine, normally happens if you have a crack in the engine block /head.
I really don't understand the term diverter valve, but in my opinion, it is not a bad idea to open the cylinder head for inspection on an overheated engine. Agian, it depends on the level of overheating.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do you find any kind of smoke coming out of the exhaust (bluish colour) If yes then there may be a leak of oil/coolant into the combustion chamber!

Check the engine oil level and coolant level regularly too.
This is what I feel. Guru's please comment.
Hi Anuraj.. think I saw white smoke when the engine overheated that day. I m not very sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Here are some self-checks you can carry out:

-Does the exhaust let out white/bluish (not black) smoke upon revving up the engine?

- Do you see foam/froth on the engine oil dip stick?

If you get "yes"for above scenarios then indeed you'll need to get the engine head opened up and at the very least need to replace the head-gasket.
Good point. I will check the oil.

Last edited by GTO : 29th November 2011 at 15:19. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 29th November 2011, 09:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv View Post
The problem was found to be a broken coolant diverter valve.
IKON Flair overheating due to a broken diverter valve is highly improbable. When the AC iss et to the hot mode, it draws heat from the engine coolant. The diverter valve is something that diverts the hot coolant so that the air to the passenger compartment can heat up.

Now, unless its malfunctioning enough to stop the whole circulation of engine coolant, the engine CANNOT heat up due to the diverter valve.

You might want to check other reasons behind it, namely:
  • Low coolant.
  • Malfunctioning engine fan. (The ikon flair engine fan has three speeds. Make sure they work in all these speeds)
  • Broken Thermostat.
  • Water pump
  • etc.. etc..
Quote:
The service guy replaced the diverter assembly
Did he give you back the replaced part?
Quote:
engine head overhaul as the coolant might have leaked into the engine.
Whats the condition of the head gasket.

Also, if coolant has leaked into the engine, you will see water in oil. Easy to diagnose. Also see the gasket condition.

Quote:
How do you guys think?
Whats the temperature level now?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 12:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IKON Flair overheating due to a broken diverter valve is highly improbable. When the AC iss et to the hot mode, it draws heat from the engine coolant. The diverter valve is something that diverts the hot coolant so that the air to the passenger compartment can heat up.

Now, unless its malfunctioning enough to stop the whole circulation of engine coolant, the engine CANNOT heat up due to the diverter valve.

You might want to check other reasons behind it, namely:
  • Low coolant.
  • Malfunctioning engine fan. (The ikon flair engine fan has three speeds. Make sure they work in all these speeds)
  • Broken Thermostat.
  • Water pump
  • etc.. etc..
Did he give you back the replaced part?

Whats the condition of the head gasket.

Also, if coolant has leaked into the engine, you will see water in oil. Easy to diagnose. Also see the gasket condition.

Whats the temperature level now?
Hi Danush,

Yes, I got back the replaced part. The part number is 1580245. Picture Attached.

How do I check the condition of the head gasket?

I checked the oil dip stick and it looks good. No trace of foam/froth and other inconsistency.

The temperature level has been at a constant quarter level since the replacement.

Shiv
Attached Thumbnails
Engine head overhaul for a broken diverter valve problem.-imag_0008.jpg  

Old 1st December 2011, 09:44   #9
BHPian

BTW, there is some knocking when I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear since the last couple of days. It doesn't happen all the time though. Any pointers?
Old 1st December 2011, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Shiv: Observe the level of coolant regularly. If it gets low and/or disappears over time without any obvious leakage then the head gasket is probably damaged.
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks