Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 11:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Servicing car best before or after journey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What exactly do you mean by "serviced"?

Most A.S.S. do a water wash & oil + filter change during the session that you know as "service", and you are out of there.
Thanks SS-Traveller. Actually, yes, I meant the oil and filter changes. The Innova is fine otherwise, generally try to keep her in good shape but a quick checkup from my neighbourhood mechanic to be on the safe side is a good idea.

As a rule and also because I keep travelling off and on I am generally quite careful about doing the servicing on schedule, but circumstances this time prevented me, i.e. this is the first time I am facing this situation hence my asking for advice. As it looks right now I will get the oil/filter changes done after my return.

Regarding air pressure, I always get it checked the day before the trip on cold tires as far as possible, including the stepney of course. Unless unavoidable I also try not to fill air in small towns/hwy as I find their pressure gauges unreliable. Barring some unforseen eventuality I come back and check the air pressure. I carry an air pump in the car. I also fuel up from my known petrol pump the evening before.

Great to get all these inputs!
OS
Old 29th November 2011, 16:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Servicing car best before or after journey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1

If you want to service it before the trip, do it at least 1 week - 10 days before the trip. Use that time to check for any problems / work not completed during service.
True.
Few years back we went for a trip on a Tempo Traveller to Ooty. The vehicle reached us straight from the service station after a paint job and we started off. After few hours we realized that the battery was not charging by then we were in the ghat section without headlight!

I always prfer a water service especially an under body wash once back from a long drive.
Old 30th November 2011, 00:49   #18
BHPian

Re: Servicing the car : Before OR After the journey?

Get it done before the trip mate. The car will be more free to rev and will keep you entertained during the long boring drives
Old 30th November 2011, 09:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Get it done before the trip mate. The car will be more free to rev and will keep you entertained during the long boring drives
I always wish to do so Bro but most of my trips other than festival travel are not pre planned. Several times I missed the bus/train due to last minute work and went for the drive
Old 30th November 2011, 11:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

SS Traveller has nailed it- get a general check up done instead of a full service. I had a similar dilemma when I did a 2000 km roadtrip last month. The Vento had just crossed over 12,000 clicks and the service was due at 15,000 anyway. So I fugured let's go ahead and get it done.

Incredibly it was the VW service advisor at BU Bhandari who dissuaded me from this course of action. He observed that mine is a well-maintained car and all the parts due for replacement at the first service probably have about 40% of their life left. He suggested that even after I returned from my trip I would still not be over 15,000 and that typically the service intervals are deisgned such that you need to follow them ON OR AFTER the recommended miles reading.

VW offers a general check up as a paid service (they charged me just 150/- since no consumables were involved). Typically it costs about 500/- which is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:25   #21
BHPian

SS-Traveller has nailed it. Just wanted to add that the scheduled services at the A. S. S. do have a bulleted list of check points to be checked (based on odo reading) which include (only some of) the points mentioed by SS-Traveller, but the end result is the same. They DON'T do it. The "prevention is better than cure" is one adage that never goes wrong anywhere.

Have a safe trip!!!
Old 30th November 2011, 14:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

As @SS-Traveller said i usually follow a checkup before start of the journey and if needed get the oils/etc topped up or changed (if needed). Post the drive i usually go for a wash (with interior cleaning) as when traveling with kids the insides get quiet dirty .

Its also a good idea to get the air pressure checked, i used to get it checked just the night before the drive but as @sudev suggested its better to get it done a few days before the drive so as one can notice leaks if there are any.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:52   #23
BANNED

My own preference will be a few days before. This ensures everything is shipshape, and the gap should be able to pick up and fix any dealer generated gremlins.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

If a service is due, do it before the trip. If service is not due, just do a check-up before leaving. But do a wheel alignment both before the trip (if not recently done) as well as after coming back.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

If its an emergency,then go ahead with a routine check from local mechanic and move on. Innova will be faithful. But as far as possible,try to have it serviced on or before the due date. I usually do it before the due date/kms and the vehicle remains happy. In turn it keeps me happy.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well the consensus is uniform

Before the journey
Get all the parameters checked
- engine, gearbox, differential oils
- brake fluid
- coolant
- battery water
In case the vehicle is due for it
- check the brake and clutch linings
Carry out checks on the electrical system - charging, lights etc

Preferably do all this a couple of days before the journey, to ensure that the check up did not introduce any faults.

After the journey
- give the vehicle a thorough wash
- check all the fluids
- check the under body and suspension for any damage

Normally we run our vehicles for 1000 - 2000 km/month in the city without bothering. Journeys of less than your monthly run, are similar, unless you are traveling to remote areas and/or on bad roads, then extra precautions are warranted.

Please note that the service intervals are indicative, and are based on an average driving pattern. So a few hundred kilometers here and there should not matter, especially if you are normally driving carefully. If you are embarking on a long drive, say 2-4k km, then I prefer to change what ever would be due before embarking on the journey, else I wait for the regular service interval.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 12:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If its a TATA product or vehicles serviced by TATA its best to service the car after the journey because it is the service center that is liable to murder the car than any journey ever can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Q:

A:

+1

If you want to service it before the trip, do it at least 1 week - 10 days before the trip. Use that time to check for any problems / work not completed during service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
as suggested by many, its always best to get the car serviced at least 1 week or 10 days before the trip to avoid anything unexpected to happen (mainly to get noticed of unfinished jobs by the service guys). If you don't have this minimum 1 week time, then I would suggest the service to be carried out after the journey, but again depends on to where the journey is.
Most important advice that I have learnt the hard way. Numerous instances of me getting stranded/facing inconvenience on road for carelessness of service centers.

1. Alternator belt snapped that was changed only a year back, not caught on service.

2. Some metal parts (cover) was loose and making sound on road. I had to wait for 24X7 team to come and diagnose it. the guys worked on coolant temperature sensor the previous day.

3. Power steering tank host not tightened resulting in loss of power steering fluid, noise and drive the car without power steering fluid for 20-30 kms.

4. Timing belt changed, cover not tightened properly. The cover came out and was touching some belt making a lot of sound.

5. Oil changed but dipstick was missing.

6. Condenser changed to a faulty one at a service center. resulting in being stranded at NH5 at Vizag at a petrol pump at 2 a.m. in the morning with family.

So, I have now decided, no work immediately before long trips.

Do not trust the service centers, never.

Last edited by sumannandy : 31st December 2011 at 12:21.

Most Viewed