Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 18:25   #1
BHPian

Steering Feedback

Hello guys!!
For quite a few days now, a bug has been eating into my mind space!!

"What makes a steering so special?"

I know that the steering weighing up and the feedback is what makes it special but how is that achieved?? And more importantly why is it achieved by so few manufacturers? How is it that some cars (in our case manufacturers) manage amazing steering and still some manufacturers just cant nail the concept!!

Recently I drove a Ford Ikon after a long time. Drove it for quite a while (only within city). Immediately after it I happened to drive a Wagon R. That's when it hit me!! Wagon R's steering though much lighter was lifeless. Dont really know how to explain as it is all in the "FEELING". But all i can say is, Wagon R seemed more like a remote control car, felt disconnected.
The Ikon felt a lot more connected. It felt so much better to drive!!

Anyway, here's my point.
What are the factors which influence the steering feel?
Why is it that some manufacturers struggle to get it right while others consistently get it right??

Anybody who's worked on this??

EDIT: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...est-worst.html

Thread exists!! If mods feel that this is thread is not distinct enough, please delete it.

Last edited by rangakishen : 12th December 2011 at 18:35.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steering Feedback

There you are, on more person who appreciates the solid steering feel. As you correctly pointed out, Ikon has great steering feel compared to WagonR which feels a lot disconnected.

Interestingly, most of the junta has not got this right. They feel that a steering which is extremely light and has no feedback is just great! They actually boast about their car's steering being extra light to that point that they keep telling that the car can be driven with their smallest finger.

I recently happened to drive an Alto K10 for couple of weeks - the steering is a lot different than how it is in my Palio. It was difficult & a bit scary to steer the Alto at speeds like 80Kmph and more - you have to constantly monitor the way you turn the steering and apply corrections after realizing where the car is heading to! In Palio one would just know how much a flick is required beforehand in order to precisely make a turn or a swerve.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th December 2011 at 19:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks