Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 12:37   #16
BHPian

Re: outside air from AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Did you switch to the outside air after a long, long time?

It seems your fan, as well as gas needs to be checked.
My advice would be to go to any AC guy outside hyundai.It will be cheaper, and if he cant fix it, you can go to Hyundai.

And yeah, these things do let go this suddenly.

switched to outside air may be after 1 month or so. I feel gas and compressor is fine because lot of water is coming out of AC drain which indicates compressor is working fine. Fan speed also looks fine.
Old 16th August 2012, 13:51   #17
BHPian

Re: What to check for outside smell entering the car cabin?

On our recent trip to Goa, I was driving a BMW 3 series. Although the insulation is really well taken care of, I noticed a tiny stream of air flowing through the door lever on the inside. It was noticable only during high speeds (90kmph & above).
Old 28th August 2012, 15:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
switched to outside air may be after 1 month or so. I feel gas and compressor is fine because lot of water is coming out of AC drain which indicates compressor is working fine. Fan speed also looks fine.
checked with Hyundai service station, as per them the motor which get operated with recirculation button has gone bad. this motor is placed next to air filter behind glove box. The effort needed to replace this motor is to remove entire dashboard which i am reluctant to do as this will create lot rattles in future.
I am just wondering if a motor can rotate some sort of switch or flap which toggles between fresh air, how about rotating it manually and then let it be like that, this will not enable recirculation but it could be a quick fix to avoid sucking outside air.

The reason for motor not operating could be lose connections.

please suggest
Old 28th August 2012, 15:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
checked with Hyundai service station, as per them the motor which get operated with recirculation button has gone bad. this motor is placed next to air filter behind glove box. The effort needed to replace this motor is to remove entire dashboard which i am reluctant to do as this will create lot rattles in future.
I am just wondering if a motor can rotate some sort of switch or flap which toggles between fresh air, how about rotating it manually and then let it be like that, this will not enable recirculation but it could be a quick fix to avoid sucking outside air.

The reason for motor not operating could be lose connections.

please suggest
While manual "jamming" might be a temporary solution , it may cause other much more serious issues . Many modern ACs in recirculation mode are programmed to go back to ventilation mode fpor a short period after a certain duration , thats because after a while the air inside the car becomes stale ( i.e. less oxygen) which increases driving fatigue and in extreme cases may cause extreme drowsiness thus creating unsafe driving conditions .
I think trusting the workshop and getting the fix is an advisable solution.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:17   #20
BHPian

I thought of looking at the problem on my own of outside smell and service station told me the motor for air vent has gone bad. I opened the glove box and reached the area where all these controls are placed. I was shocked to see that AC Air filter was missing, this looks like a deliberate mischief by service station as there is no need to remove the filter. This could have been done to get more business in future as removing ac air filter will create problems with HVAC system and in long run probably complete breakdown of HVAC system. First sign is already visible : failure of recirculation motor because lot of dust and dirt could enter the system.

Could anyone confirm if AC filter is present in Verna or not ? Mine is First model of Verna. Please suggest future course of action.
Old 2nd October 2014, 13:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
From day 1 when driving behind a truck that is letting out lot of smoke, the smell can felt inside the cabin though air circulation is set to Recycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
in auto climate control ACs there is always a mild outside smell even with recirculation mode.

after researching a bit i have learnt that auto climate control ACs are designed to pull in certain amount of fresh air despite of recirculation mode to avoid humidity and stale air.
One approach is to use a cabin air filter containing activated carbon. Normal air filters can keep particles like dust and pollen at bay. Activated carbon takes things a step further by absorbing smoke and its constituent harmful gasses. It absorbs odor too.
Hope this helps.
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:26   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
One approach is to use a cabin air filter containing activated carbon. Normal air filters can keep particles like dust and pollen at bay. Activated carbon takes things a step further by absorbing smoke and its constituent harmful gasses. It absorbs odor too.
Hope this helps.
I agree and I have read your DIY.

Can you tell me what is the life of the filter versus the standard one?

Anurag.
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:19   #23
BHPian

Bosch recommends changing the filter after 1 year or 15K Km whichever is earlier.
Old 30th April 2018, 19:07   #24
BHPian

I have been looking for answers for my Swift 2010 K Series (manual AC) which has done 30K. Sometimes rarely I feel the outside air is entering given the smell. However, I toggle the recirculation button and most of times it gets fixed. Maybe the flap becomes loose? Also, while passing through areas of heavy smell like Bangalore's heavily polluted lakes, I do feel the smell inside for sometime!
My major concern is how much pollution is coming in because of the flap being loose? I would love to permanently seal the flap if possible.
Old 1st May 2018, 23:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I have been looking for answers for my Swift 2010 K Series (manual AC) which has done 30K. Sometimes rarely I feel the outside air is entering given the smell. However, I toggle the recirculation button and most of times it gets fixed. Maybe the flap becomes loose? Also, while passing through areas of heavy smell like Bangalore's heavily polluted lakes, I do feel the smell inside for sometime!
My major concern is how much pollution is coming in because of the flap being loose? I would love to permanently seal the flap if possible.
You should never ever even think of closing that flap shut. It's the worst case scenario & potentially might be dangerous.

It is normal to pick up on smell from external environment (e.g.rain, smoke) inside cabin which says that small amount of external air is entering through cracks & crevasse in your car. That is expected. It should never be 100% air tight. It will cause light headedness, nauseating feeling especially in ladies & kids due to carbon dioxide & monoxide poisoning. Fatal in some cases.

Check your car door rubber seals & A/C cabin filter. Replace them if they are in bad condition. This should fix 80% of your problem. Rest might be due to extremely sensitive olfactory senses that you might possess.

Last edited by prithm : 1st May 2018 at 23:48. Reason: Spelling
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 17:24   #26

As said by prithm, some amount of outside air is normal, when picked up by HVAC unit.

Please check out the lip seal on AC fresh air duct opening. Its generally made of nitrile or EPDM rubber. Get the same replaced at Service Center.

Adjust the backlash of mechanism operating the fresh air mode.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Sanzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:21   #27
BHPian

Hello friends,
Had a chance to drive in one of my colleagues Honda WRV yesterday. Even though I was impressed by the overall look and feel of the vehicle, Could experience a good amount of engine noise in the cabin which was a big surprise for me coz I expected the Hondas to be quiet performers.

There's one doubt that has come up due to this experience - In my opinion, the engine noise seeping in the cabin is generally due to poor insulation between the front bonnet / engine area and the passenger cabin area. If that's true, then would it not result into outside air / smell finding its way into the cabin even when the Aircon is set to recycle mode?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks