Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 16:08   #1
BHPian

How to LUBE the rubber seal of a car?

Anyone know how best can one lube the rubber seal in the door panel area? I read that one must/must-not use silicone based products. But, since the winters are biting and winters are known to cause damage to the seals, would like to know what product out there would do the trick for me ?

Thanks.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:16   #2
BHPian

Re: How to LUBE rubber seal of car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Anyone know how best can one lube the rubber seal in the door panel area? I read that one must/must-not use silicone based products. But, since the winters are biting and winters are known to cause damage to the seals, would like to know what product out there would do the trick for me ?

Thanks.
You need a product like Krytox. Manufactured by DuPont. It is used by VW India as I found out a few hours ago from another members post. It is also used by many other manufacturers across the globe. (Google it and you will find a lot of info)

Hope this helps
NevGin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 18:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

you can use tyre protector , waxpol dashboard polish, or even Jopasu rubber trim protector. there are many such products.

i have been regularly using it on my 7 year old also and not a single rubber is cracked/ replaced. all sparkling black and brand new.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 20:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have never lubricated the door rubber in over twenty years of owning MUL cars. My Esteem is now 11 years old and the beading is still fine.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 21:25   #5
BHPian

I too was about to say the same about my 8 yr 800 and 7.25 yr alto . Not spoilt/hard or broken in all these years .
Old 26th December 2011, 21:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know how best can one lube the rubber seal in the door panel area?
By seal, I assume that you mean the rubber beading on the doors? If yes, then just rub a wax candle thoroughly on it, maybe once in two weeks or so. It used to work just fine for me when I had a Palio.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th December 2011, 23:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have been using glycerine mixed with water in the ratio of about 1:3. I use the same concoction on the tires as well. The reason I stuck to this was because the first time that I had ever used it, I had been rewarded with much softer tires (3 year old tires) & I say this on the basis of perceivable improvement in ride quality.

@comfortablynumb: Have you observed any benefits? Also, how do you suggest the wax be applied, I mean should the candle be warmed up a little bit?

Drive safe.
Old 27th December 2011, 13:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
If you have a modern car, don't bother. The door seals are EPDM Rubber, which are good for use till -40 degree C !!

Just clean the gasket with soap and water. All these "protectors" and "sealants" will do more harm than good, since EPDM does not like being exposed to fuels, hydrocarbons, etc. It may cause temporary softening of the gasket, but the chemicals will leach out in the summer.

Rubbing candle wax might work, since it will form a thin layer on the gasket, which will slow down further oxidation and aging, but frankly its not really required.

Disclaimer: I manufacture EPDM gaskets for a living
AbhiJ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 14:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I have been using glycerine mixed with water in the ratio of about 1:3. I use the same concoction on the tires as well. The reason I stuck to this was because the first time that I had ever used it, I had been rewarded with much softer tires (3 year old tires) & I say this on the basis of perceivable improvement in ride quality.
Tyres are primarily natural rubber. Door beading gaskets are EPDM. Technically, they are as different as chalk and cheese.

Natural rubber is not resistant to glycerols. It absorbs the glycerin and appears to become softer, but chemically, it just might be damaging your tyre. Don't believe everything you read on ehow
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 14:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
@comfortablynumb: Have you observed any benefits? Also, how do you suggest the wax be applied, I mean should the candle be warmed up a little bit?
No need to warm it up; wax candles are quite soft as it is. Just take one, and rub it's flat bottom [not edge] on the gasket in one direction [either L to R or R to L] a couple of times.

Benefit - the door beadings on my Palio did not get hard/cracked at least for 3 years, after which I sold it. However, I cannot definitely say if this was because of the wax application or the beadings themselves were of good quality [as AbhiJ mentions in his posts above]!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th December 2011 at 14:11.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 09:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thank you abhi for this piece of information. I think I hadn't considered the details & just followed the suggestion off of some other forums while googling for a "desi" way of keeping tires soft & healthy.

Now that I am better informed, will take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Tyres are primarily natural rubber. Door beading gaskets are EPDM. Technically, they are as different as chalk and cheese.

Natural rubber is not resistant to glycerols. It absorbs the glycerin and appears to become softer, but chemically, it just might be damaging your tyre. Don't believe everything you read on ehow
Old 28th December 2011, 09:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to LUBE the rubber seal of a car?

Any thing you apply to the door beading will collect dust and grime, so you are better off without it. Just wipe the beading with a wet cloth regularly and your beading rubber will remain supple for long.
Old 28th December 2011, 19:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to LUBE the rubber seal of a car?

Just use some armor all original protectant and you should be good to go.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:05   #14
BHPian

Rubber beading under the front fender

Of lately, I have observed a lot swifts and i20s and some more with a rubber-like beading hanging off the bottom of the front fender. I do not know what it's actually called but I am sure it's rubber.

Did not want to start a new thread for this.

What could be the reason? And what's the fix? More importantly, what's it used for?
Old 27th November 2012, 16:56   #15

AbhiJ That was a good info ! I was looking for something which could give a real good shine to my tyres.. Any suggestions to what I can apply??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks