Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 18:27   #31
BHPian

first link never mentions 'burning' as such, it only reads:"...convert the hydrocarbons of unburned gasoline and carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide and water." I doubt if that can be called burning of unburnt fuel.
The second link however does mention 'burning' of unburnt fuel, anyways thanks for the sharing the info. Am myself confused about this now.
As a side effect , see this excerpt from first link:
"Any additives or malfunctions that cause the mixture or the temperature of the exhaust gases to change reduce the effectiveness and life of the catalytic converter. Leaded gasoline and the over-use of certain fuel additives can shorten the life of a catalytic converter."

Now, could this be a reason that some cars choke on 'premium' fuels?? i will post the question on relevant thread.

Last edited by deetee : 18th January 2008 at 18:43.
Old 18th January 2008, 18:51   #32
BANNED

well ,the 2nd link says the excess fuel lights off and sends the temperature up . please go thru the heading "causes of convertor failure "
Old 18th January 2008, 19:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
well ,the 2nd link says the excess fuel lights off and sends the temperature up . please go thru the heading "causes of convertor failure "
Ok, agreed that unburnt fuel wrecks the catcon but am still not convinced whether unburnt fuel ignites inside catcon or it otherwise reacts with catcon elements.I searched other sources but didnot find exact answer to the fate of unburnt fuel inside catcon. So, time being am taking it as fact - so unburnt fuel may melt down the catcon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks