Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: One for the Gurus: Dzire diesel - Zero compression on all four cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
There are certain situations that will lead to there being no compression on all your cylinders. They are:
1. If you have a cracked head,
2. If you have a blown head gasket,
3. You have a warped head,
4. You have a cracked block between each cylinder.

However, there would have been symptoms such as uneven idling, missing on occasion etc which may not have been noticed by the driver. My driver has the same problem, he does not notice things going wrong, he only points out after they have gone wrong.
Getting all this checked today. Head and block being sent to the "lathe" for checking.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the update on this? Rather curious to know.
Old 6th January 2012, 18:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Getting all this checked today. Head and block being sent to the "lathe" for checking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
What's the update on this? Rather curious to know.
Me too, waiting for final diagnosis, Quite curious to know the reason, Early report welcome.
Old 6th January 2012, 18:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys for not having updated this thread. I was busy with my other car. The Maruti engineers came and did a thorough inspection of the block. They think the culprits are weak piston rings, but they cannot be sure. Anyways, since the car was under extended warranty they are replacing the complete engine block (bottom half) free of cost. I will have to bear only the expenses for some stuff like gaskets and oil seals, which is absolutely ok with me.

So I guess all's well that ends well. :-)
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 20:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys for not having updated this thread. I was busy with my other car. The Maruti engineers came and did a thorough inspection of the block. They think the culprits are weak piston rings, but they cannot be sure. Anyways, since the car was under extended warranty they are replacing the complete engine block (bottom half) free of cost. I will have to bear only the expenses for some stuff like gaskets and oil seals, which is absolutely ok with me.

So I guess all's well that ends well. :-)
what would be the cost of engine block (bottom half) if it was not under extended warranty ?

Expenses for some stuff like gaskets and oil seals - Would this be covered under insurance ?
Old 6th January 2012, 21:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

they shouldnt charge you for oil seals and gaskets. and remember they cost a lot.
Old 7th January 2012, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
they shouldnt charge you for oil seals and gaskets. and remember they cost a lot.
I will end up paying about 3 - 4k from my pocket. After Maruti has been so gracious to give a new block without any argument, I don't think it is worth fighting over such a small amount.
Old 7th January 2012, 15:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I will end up paying about 3 - 4k from my pocket. After Maruti has been so gracious to give a new block without any argument, I don't think it is worth fighting over such a small amount.
Frankly, there is nothing gracious about this, as the block should not be failing at 54k km . Dont accept to pay for the gasket and seals.

From my POV, they could not make a correct diagnosis. "Zero compression" can happen in all cylinders if the block has a horizontal crack running across, head gasket is blown at multiple places, or all pistons have blown or all valves are out of their seating position.

Such failures happen when the engine is running, but I cant believe it can happen on an engine thats shut down.

The only possibility that I can think of is that the block was hot, and if the car was washed with cold water (engine bay), the block might crack due to thermal shock. (for this too, i think its possible only when theres a casting defect in the block)

In any case, you should refuse to pay anything for this.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

what is the final update ?

Could you please update us ?
Old 7th March 2012, 19:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

The final update on this is as follows

The A.S.S replaced the complete bottom half and left the engine for running in. After sometime one of the mechanics noted that the car was not running and it had stopped. So the engine was opened up once again and guess what? They found broken cam shafts, even though these were fine when they had bolted on the engine.

The net effect of all this chaos is that the car now has a complete new engine with no costs involved for me. Anyways since Maruti/Suzuki has done a great job without my even having to say a word, I have decided to put the incident behind me and get on with it.

The only drawback of this episode has been that since the engine is a new one, all engine service schedules have gone haywire and all oil changes are starting afresh. While they were at it I told them to replace the clutch also for which I paid. Car is back doing it's regular duties and feels excellent to drive.

So basically for me it is a case of all's well that ends well.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 21:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
The final update on this is as follows

The A.S.S replaced the complete bottom half and left the engine for running in. After sometime one of the mechanics noted that the car was not running and it had stopped. So the engine was opened up once again and guess what? They found broken cam shafts, even though these were fine when they had bolted on the engine.
Glad to know that you were not charged for this . Problem might have been camshaft bearings? Any post-mortem report?

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th March 2012 at 12:39. Reason: Please dont quote full post for a single line reply
Old 7th March 2012, 21:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Awesome settlement I must say. You got a brand new engine, but the cause of failure is yet to be ascertained ?
Old 7th March 2012, 22:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They found broken cam shafts,
Any pictures?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th March 2012, 07:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any pictures?

Regards
Sutripta
Sadly no pictures. I forgot my phone at home that day, but I was there when they opened the head and saw the broken cams.
Old 8th March 2012, 11:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The A.S.S replaced the complete bottom half and left the engine for running in. After sometime one of the mechanics noted that the car was not running and it had stopped. So the engine was opened up once again and guess what ? They found broken cam shafts, even though these were fine when they had bolted on the engine.
Two other cases of broken camshafts in DDiS diesels...

A) Dzire diesel with punctured sump (has pics of a broken cam)

B) To-be-delivered Swift diesel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks