Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 20:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift 1.2 : 3rd Gear refuses to engage above 3k RPM

Gurus,
I face a peculiar problem with my May 2010 Swift. Lately, with an alarming frequency, I notice that if I rev to about 3k RPM in 2nd gear and then try to upshift in 3rd, it simply refuses to slot in. Its like its not there, and I cant find it. I have to drop the revs to about the 2k mark, wherein it smoothly engages. Quite embarrassing , if you are accelerating, because I have to brake or lift up to get the revs down/get to safe lane/etc, though I dont often do it.
I try to shift directly to 4th, doesnt happen either, the only gear it goes into is 2nd. All other gears (2nd,4th,5th) engage without issues in that RPM range.

I am putting off an unscheduled visit to the A.S.S. It is not affecting my daily drive to office , because :
- I take the bus
- I very rarely touch the 3k rpm mark.

What could be the issue ? A clutch adjustment problem ? Can it be that it does not engage enough for this RPM range ? Then why so only from 2nd-3rd ?
Old 1st January 2012, 23:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift 1.2 : 3rd Gear refuses to engage above 3k RPM

it is related to the gear box - possibly the syncronizer. or it can be a simple gear cable adjustment.

can you slot in the 3rd gear with the engine off?
planet_rocker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks planet_rocker. No problems in engaging any gear with the engine off. Ditto at low R.P.M.s. How difficult is it to fix problems with the synchro ?
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sajo, you can rule out gear cable adjustment since it engages 3rd with the engine off. The Gear box needs to be opened - the synchronizer may need to be changed. but before openeing the Gear Box, can you bend down and check if there is gear oil leak from around the gear box.

if there is low gear box oil, this problem may occur.

while at the service center, check the gear box mount.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ohh...Wasnt expecting it to be as bad as replacing synchronizer , with just 12.5k KMs of careful driving on the odo. Will check for leaks of the gear oil though, but I am reasonably sure that I see no oil stains on the ground.
If it indeed comes to that, I hope the warranty covers it.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do google "3rd Gear Lock out" to get scary results - mainly from the Evo & Mustang forums.

Have you tried shifting at a higher RPM, say around 4,000 RPM from 2nd to 3rd gear?

A leaking Gear Box will not always drip gear oil on the ground. sometimes a small leak spreads around the gear box.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 2nd January 2012 at 16:16.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:13   #7
BANNED

The Swifts 2nd gear ratio is 1.904 (for the 1.2 petrol) and the 3rd gear ratio is 1.28. This means that when you are revving at 3K rpm in 2nd gear the 3rd gear will be rotating at 2343 rpm. This is why you have to come to around 2k rpm to shift. It is a case of a faulty synchronizer ring. It is better to replace it at the earliest as it could otherwise damage your gear teeth.
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Sajo, you can rule out gear cable adjustment since it engages 3rd with the engine off. The Gear box needs to be opened - the synchronizer may need to be changed. but before openeing the Gear Box, can you bend down and check if there is gear oil leak from around the gear box.

if there is low gear box oil, this problem may occur.

while at the service center, check the gear box mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The Swifts 2nd gear ratio is 1.904 (for the 1.2 petrol) and the 3rd gear ratio is 1.28. This means that when you are revving at 3K rpm in 2nd gear the 3rd gear will be rotating at 2343 rpm. This is why you have to come to around 2k rpm to shift. It is a case of a faulty synchronizer ring. It is better to replace it at the earliest as it could otherwise damage your gear teeth.

I see something similar on my Figo (even when it was new) - once the speed crosses about 15kmph it gives me trouble slotting down from 2nd to 1st gear.

Also the effort to shift from 1st to 2nd (or 2nd to 3rd) is very minimal if the rpm is near 2000 in each - the 1st to 2nd practically jumps on its own with a very light touch on the stick.

Is this normal?
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:04   #9
BANNED

This is not the same issue. It looks like you have excessive play in your clutch. This would have happened even when it was new as the clutch adjustment should be done more frequently when it is new as the clutch would be "bedding in". This can be easily set right by your dealer.
The reason it is easier to change up from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd is that the load on the clutch is less while doing so and you would be able to change up easily. It is when changing down that there is more load on the clutch and excessive play will create the situation you mentioned. You can have this easily rectified by your dealer.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:38   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I see something similar on my Figo (even when it was new) - once the speed crosses about 15kmph it gives me trouble slotting down from 2nd to 1st gear.

Also the effort to shift from 1st to 2nd (or 2nd to 3rd) is very minimal if the rpm is near 2000 in each - the 1st to 2nd practically jumps on its own with a very light touch on the stick.

Is this normal?
When you downshift from 2nd to 1st gear it is better if the downshift is done below or on 10kmph. This is what I have seen in many cars and even the same for my Ritz D!

Upshifting @ 2000rpm is very precise and slick in many cases. Could this be due the torque available and the engine is less strained since its being up-shift'ed at the correct rpm range.

My opinion. Gurus please correct me in case i'm wrong.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This is not the same issue. It looks like you have excessive play in your clutch. This would have happened even when it was new as the clutch adjustment should be done more frequently when it is new as the clutch would be "bedding in". This can be easily set right by your dealer.
The reason it is easier to change up from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd is that the load on the clutch is less while doing so and you would be able to change up easily. It is when changing down that there is more load on the clutch and excessive play will create the situation you mentioned. You can have this easily rectified by your dealer.

So even if what I feel is on the gearstick, it may be a problem with the clutch?

How long does it take to adjust the clutch setting? also do I have to go to the dealer or can any workshop take care of it?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:45   #12
BHPian

In my opinion, since your car is still quite new, I am guessing its just a case of adjusting the clutch. Tightening it up a little. Maybe you have a few layers of mats (rubber and fabric) installed on the floor as well which will prevent the clutch from being fully depressed. I would recommend you visit the authorised Service centre ASAP to prevent further damage to the parts. If you are pressed for time then you can go to any good non-authorised workshop and ask them to tighten the clutch a little. It will take just 5 min. If it works then good for you , if not then the other mentioned solutions above will have to be looked into.

Last edited by amrisharm : 4th January 2012 at 11:47.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
So even if what I feel is on the gearstick, it may be a problem with the clutch?

How long does it take to adjust the clutch setting? also do I have to go to the dealer or can any workshop take care of it?
The Ford Figo has a gear alignment cable that has to be adjusted using a special tool. It will take you about an hour to do this adjustment. This can usually be done only at a Ford authorised workshop as this special tool is available only with them.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the car is currently garaged at home, and I will take it to the A.S.S. this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks