Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:29   #1
BHPian

Ritz VXi Issue - Weird Odor on Redlining

Hi Fellow T-Bhpians. I have a query and this has been eating my brains for the last three weeks.

I started ripping my 2100 km old Ritz VXi a few weeks ago and have noticed a weird odor creeping in whenever I redline (if that's what you call shifting at 5K). I have noticed that this odor strangely comes at the rear of the car and then moves forward. This odor is noticeable with the windows closed irrespective of the AC status.

I do not ride the clutch, all the tyres are properly inflated, fill up only at Shell and maintain all the vital fluids in the car.

The odor is feels like a cross between a hydrogen sulphide and dust/oil...cant really categorize.

I had posted this in some other thread earlier but did not get any replies.
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:26   #2
BANNED

re: Ritz VXi Issue - Weird Odor on Redlining

While the description of the smell is a bit confusing , these are some areas which could release smell from the rear of the car:

1. It could be the smell released by the catalytic convertor. This sometimes happens when a car (and the catalytic converter) is new. You would be able to assess this if the smell is more towards the underside and near the exhaust catalytic converter.

2.You could also check if your handbrake releases properly - the rear wheels would be very hot when touched from outside after you drive some distance. This could also release a smell.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a very strange issue. very hard to say.

Anyway. do you see any smoke? Also is there a change in exhaust note lately in your car.

Best way to check is, take it to the service centre. Put the car on the lift and see if there is any rupture leakage in Cat-con.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:34   #4
BANNED

It could be your tyres end up smoking or your pads end up burning !
Old 4th January 2012, 12:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ritz VXi Issue - Weird Odor on Redlining

check inside the car along where the exhausts run under the car perhaps?
Could be heat getting conducted inside the car at those points and affecting whatever the mat or rubbers may be made of.
See if you can get some residual smells in the boot, right above the where muffler is underneath.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
This odor is noticeable with the windows closed irrespective of the AC status.

The odor is feels like a cross between a hydrogen sulphide and dust/oil...cant really categorize.
Hi, H2S => Catcon. Agree with
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
1. It could be the smell released by the catalytic convertor. This sometimes happens when a car (and the catalytic converter) is new.
However, getting the smell inside the car with windows up is troubling. Remember CO, unlike H2S gives no warning.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th January 2012, 18:59   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi, H2S => Catcon. Agree with

However, getting the smell inside the car with windows up is troubling. Remember CO, unlike H2S gives no warning.
There are very few cars, if any, that are able to completely seal off external smells. A drive with a car near a fish market, or any other area that emits a strong smell will see a bit of that enter the cabin. We are still a long way from completely sealing off external smells.
Old 5th January 2012, 19:36   #8
BHPian

I have a Maruti Esteem 2004 Di and when I have to climb some really steep slopes (and I do mean really steep), I have to drive in 1st gear with the rpm close to the red line, the clutch pressed a bit, and a hand on the handbrake. That is the absolute limit of the Esteem because you would even be able to walk faster than that pace and the car has a distinctive burnt oil smell for a few days. I have only travelled by that road twice (the only two times I pushed the car to its limits on a slope) after which I changed my tailor because of the difficulty getting over the steep road that leads into heavy traffic. I believe this was sometime around 2005 and 2006 - I have no idea if the Esteem can still do the steep slope like it used to.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^ what you have mentioned sounds like smell of Burning Clutch.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Burnt Tyre Rubber and Clutch is my guess.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are very few cars, if any, that are able to completely seal off external smells. A drive with a car near a fish market, or any other area that emits a strong smell will see a bit of that enter the cabin. We are still a long way from completely sealing off external smells.
Hi,
That normally comes in through the fresh air vents (even when in recirc mode). Exhaust should not reach there.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 5th January 2012 at 21:47.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:34   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
That normally comes in through the fresh air vents (even when in recirc mode). Exhaust should not reach there.
Hi,

The smell of the catalytic converter does not come out of the exhaust. It comes from around the catalytic converter under the car, especially when it is new. And since it is strong sometimes, it gets into the car.

Regards,
Old 5th January 2012, 22:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fellow T-Bhpians. I have a query and this has been eating my brains for the last three weeks.
Now that you mention that i also face this issue sometimes there a weird smell comes in the car, but i feel it comes from the AC Vent.

Again i don't ride clutch at all, tyres are just fine. At times i feel is it the coolant smell coming in ... i am equally clueless

cheers
Old 6th January 2012, 20:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The smell of the catalytic converter does not come out of the exhaust. It comes from around the catalytic converter under the car
Interesting!
Wondering about the how/ why of it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th January 2012, 22:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't you tried revving on neutral while car is stationary? It might be easier to isolate the culprit this way. It could be as simple as a dead rodent in the exhaust (Ritz exhaust diameter is large enough).

I had the characteristic 'H2S - musty' smell when my car was new. But it wasn't that much of a problem since it was mild & it vanished in a couple of weeks.

Gear oil also has a very unpleasant smell. So, do a visual inspection of gearbox for spills/leaks etc.

Most importantly, don't redline unless you isolate the problem.

Last edited by JustCause : 6th January 2012 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks