Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2012, 20:23   #1

Rebuilt Pajero engine giving problems

I had just rebuilt my pajero 2.8 4m40 engine , it has been six months since the rebuild and the car has all sorts of weird problems.

1) There is a rattling noise from the gearbox, i just replaced the clutch plate to exedy and the noise has started since. ( i am not a clutch rider and the i replaced the clutch plate , pressure plate and release bearing)

2)The engine vibrates excessively and the car feels very heavy, almost lifeless , it gasps for breath in second and when i change gear starts to shudder in third. The valve clearance is stock , i recently checked compression , 210 psi which should be 410 psi , but i checked the pressure on cold, the good thing is the pressure is same across all cylinders.

Pls help
Old 20th February 2012, 16:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rebuilt Pajero engine giving problems

Out of curiousity, did you take the Paj back to the place where you got the engine rebuilt? What exactly do they have to say?
Old 20th February 2012, 16:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Which part of India are you at?
Where did you get the rebuild done?

1) With the gearbox rattle, I think the clutch replacement wasn't done well.

2) From the symptoms you've mentioned, I think the diesel fuel pump has not been calibrated properly during the engine rebuild.
Old 21st February 2012, 14:57   #4

Sirs,
Thanks for the reply.
I did the rebuilt at my home, i orders the original manual and have an employed mechanic at my home, but i kicked him out after the engine not working well, now i have taken the gearbox out and my mechanic says its the fault of the pressure plate or release bearing, i replaced the trio (clutch, pressure plate and release bearing) when i installed exedy.

I am in Indore, i had sent the pump for calibration in bombay at city motors (they are somewhere in chor bazaar).
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@vzamindar:

I am surprised that you have having so many issues given pajero engine/gearboxes can be easily rebuilt by road side mechanics. If you give these guys medical manuals, they can actually perform open heart surgery flawlessly.

Sorry to be direct, but the problems, you mentioned cannot be diagnosed by anybody on this Forum. Your best bet is to find a good mechanic who has experience with imported vehicles or atleast modern IDI diesel engines.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:31   #6

@4x4addict

I have contacted 2 mechanics and they have done their best to improve engine performance, i dont know how to boost engine compression, tho i checked the tappet clearance and its correct. Does anybody know a guy who does a good injector calibration in bombay or delhi , maybe that could be it.

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your engine has no power, and at the same time firing at the wrong time. You may have multiple problems, so check them one by one.

1. Check cylinder pressure, both cold and hot. If OK, then there may be timing problem. Most probably the valve timing belt/gear has not been aligned. Check the valve timing from the manual.

2. If the pressure is low when cold, squirt some oil to seal the piston rings. If OK, then pisyon rings are leaking, else valves are leaking.

3. As you were dissatisfied with the original mechanic, he may have done a really shoddy job. For all you know your head gasket may also be leaking.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:43   #8
BHPian

Mate the 4M40 is a very difficult engine to work on. Please let us know what exactly have you done on the engine

An old garage owner once told me: "India mein aaj tak turner paidah nahin hua hain joh Pajero ka engine kar sake"

Please do let us know what exactly you have done so we can try and help you sort this out

City Motors is in Opera House or maybe there is one in chor bazar too
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:44   #9

@Aroy,

Will check cylinder pressure with oil tmrw n tell. I dont think the piston rings are bad because i just changed them, i have new rings redone bore, redone valves and valve seat. I checked the coolant , it is good in color therefore i assume the head gasket is to be in good condition and besides i replaced that too.

@53BHP
My mistake City Motors is in Opera House. Will keep the forum updated.

I personally think its the injector calibration, people here have the calibration machine but i am not sure if they know how to use it. Does anybody know an expert in Injectors??

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Compression reading is critical. Take few ml's of oil and squirt the cylinder and take pressure reading. Keep the throttle in fully open position. If readings are low then investigate further, from rings onwards. Then check timing gear and then pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks