Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 11:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does cruise control make sense in a MT car?

Oh Yes! Just this morning, I was all in the mood for a longish drive, but had a sprained ankle, without CC, I would have had to keep myself remain sad at home. I do use CC everytime I am on the highway, saves me fuel too, cos otherwise, my foot does not know how to restrict speed.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 17:39   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Does cruise control + manual gearbox make any sense?

Cruise Control does make sense with a manual car; where it doesn't make sense is in India! Even when driving on the expressway, you have to frequently overtake other vehicles, slow down for the laggard in your way and also move out of the way for the car behind you. I have used the cruise control of my car once or twice in 6 years.

On the other hand, I frequently used cruise control in my manual transmission Honda Accord on American freeways.

Still, there isn't a doubt that cruise control is most effective with an automatic transmission.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 17:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

I came back yesterday from a 3 day road trip in to the hinterlands of Punjab. The vehicle used was a Tata Aria complete with Cruise control. The company driver would engage the same on empty stretches on the NH1 as well as on the MDRs within Punjab and then used the +(res)/-(set) button mounted on the steering wheel to control the speeds per his anticipation of the traffic ahead. In order to bring the vehicle up to speed all he would do was to hit the + button and the gearbox and engine would work in tandem to bring the speed back up to the set point. I noticed this happening several times from speeds as low as 50 odd Kmph all the way to 90kmph without a judder or a shudder. Upon asking I found out that the vehicle returns better milage when the driver uses this feature on the highway rather than manually changing gears. Heavy braking or almost coming to a rolling stop/dead stop definitely required manual intervention to get the van up to speed. All in all I found it a nice feature to have.
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:17   #19
BANNED

CRUISE CONTROL on MT is only confined to the range of Top Gear and the RESUME feature is redundant. However in AT one may use the entire gamut of CC, especially the RESUME feature whereby the Gears Shift Automatically and the Set speed is achieved on all types of road terrains subsequent to the braking induced cancellation of CC.
kapursaket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 15:02   #20
BHPian

I do highway driving a lot, there are certain stretches during certain time in the day which are not very crowded, i have a car with cruise control that i dont use (i like to be in control). So my opnion is CC mkes sense on MT cars as you cn just activate the cruise control & relieve some stress off your foot when doing long stretches of highways.
Old 15th May 2022, 16:48   #21
BHPian

Thanks to Cruise Control, it is possible to give my ankle a few slow rotations in both directions.

If the traffic is sparse enough for more exercises, I also stretch my calf, thigh muscles and spine - all without scaring off fellow passengers with jerks.

So even if the traffic allows to cruise just 1 out of every 30 minutes, it helps preempt the family vacation going bad due to my sprain.

Additional and ample minutes of cruise results in this feature paying for itself multiple times over and over again (destresed ankle, fuel, brake pads, speed limit).
Old 15th May 2022, 17:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Then there are models like the Honda Amaze that offers cruise control on their Manual transmission version, but not on their Automatic Transmissions!
Old 15th May 2022, 17:27   #23
BHPian

I use the CC in my manual superb all the time. It starts from as low as 20kmph and I have used it to great advantage in all gears. Also while in mountain driving. If you put the car in proper gear, and the road ahead seems smooth and empty, you are able to relax your foot. That's it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks