Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 14:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How does Electric power steering work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Steering tech gurus, need help!
My 2015 Global Fiesta pulls to the right. Wheel alignment has been checked for and fixed, all 4 tyres rotated numerous times and this pull still remains. .
Are you sure about the wheel alignment being perfect? Do share the alignment report. If the steering tilts after going on undulations, either the camber or caster will be off. If its the camber, then the tilt will disappear as the speeds rise and the vehicle centers. If its caster, I believe it must be the other way round. The tilt or pull worsens with speed.

On the other hand, check if the steering angle sensor is calibrated and working correctly. As far as I know, the Ford EPS has an artificial centering technique which centers the steering using the steering position from the sensor and uses the motor to keep the steering centered. In your case, either the centering mechanism keeps the steering fine until you cross 30kmph or it could be that the centering mechanism is not really bringing the steering to the intended position.
Old 1st March 2020, 13:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Are you sure about the wheel alignment being perfect? Do share the alignment report. If the steering tilts after going on undulations, either the camber or caster will be off. If its the camber, then the tilt will disappear as the speeds rise and the vehicle centers. If its caster, I believe it must be the other way round. The tilt or pull worsens with speed.

On the other hand, check if the steering angle sensor is calibrated and working correctly. As far as I know, the Ford EPS has an artificial centering technique which centers the steering using the steering position from the sensor and uses the motor to keep the steering centered. In your case, either the centering mechanism keeps the steering fine until you cross 30kmph or it could be that the centering mechanism is not really bringing the steering to the intended position.
The 30kmph thing I mentioned was just for reference. Actually the problem is there at all the speeds, just that it is not that noticable at speeds <30kmph.
Neither does this pull increase, nor it decreases with increasing speeds. It's just always there. May be it's effects can be felt more at higher speeds.
I have done alignment correction 7-8 times and everytime post it, the pull just remains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks