Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 09:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Radiator Fins Bent - any solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Like i said its the AC condenser fins which are bent, the radiator fins would be alright as its behind the AC condenser.
I had somehow missed this post. Yes Sankar, you're right. It is indeed the AC condenser. In the Swift, the radiator sit smug behind the condenser and both are of same length and breadth, but different width. I feel so stupid.

We picked up a used A-star recently. The bending is far worse in that.

So the condenser is in the firing line protecting the radiator. But that is not very comforting, is it? MSIL will do well to give a factory fitted mesh behind the grille.

Last edited by deetjohn : 16th May 2012 at 09:19. Reason: Adding text.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I had somehow missed this post. Yes Sankar, you're right. It is indeed the AC condenser. In the Swift, the radiator sit smug behind the condenser and both are of same length and breadth, but different width. I feel so stupid.

We picked up a used A-star recently. The bending is far worse in that.

So the condenser is in the firing line protecting the radiator. But that is not very comforting, is it? MSIL will do well to give a factory fitted mesh behind the grille.
In the case of my car i have no on else to blame but me for causing the bent condenser fins. I accidently sprayed high pressure water from the Bosch Aquatak on to the condenser fins a moment before i realised what i was doing. By that time some fins were bent.
Old 22nd May 2012, 03:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I think Raccoon was referring to the grille on the bumper. A mesh behind the grille will help against flying stones. Time to get in touch with josepeter I guess.

Though, the cost that you mentioned for the intercooler is comforting. Any idea how much is the radiator? And will the aftermarket parts from MASS be as good as the factory fitted ones?

I am not much worried about the damage currently. But just wondering what extent of bending can be tolerated, if I don't install a mesh. I do quite a bit of highway runs.
I was of course referring to the grille. Shame that Maruti has provided such a widely spaced grille! At least on the Esteem its not so widely spaced. And I don't see any damage that could have been caused by flying debris from the front on my car at least. Whatever damage I have written about earlier has surely been caused by something else. Most likely #!&*#@ mechanics.

I'm not too confident about after-market parts quality from MASS. I'v observed in more than one occasions that its not at par to what has been fixed at the factory. But what is a much bigger concern is how shabbily the MASS mechanics may do the job of replacing it.
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:52   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Use this for straightening the fins.
But i've never heard of a case where bent fins were the culprit for overheating.
Attachment 905936

A good way to make this tool would be to buy a hair comb with teeth spacing matching the fins. Cut the end tines off and you have a combing tool for your radiator fins as well as for the home AC.

Mind you, the radiator needs a larger comb thean the home AC.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed