Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 14:10   #1
BHPian

SX4 Illuminated door sill guards, how to wire?

I yesterday struggled connecting backlight of illuminated side strips or door sill / guard for my SX4.

The way I wired it was causing the light to glow when doors were closed. They should glow when the door is opened.

I later called an electrician who used to work at Maruti A$$ earlier. He called someone in Mumbai to cofirm wiring. Then we later opened glove compartment to access Nippon centre locking module and traced wires as directed on phone. When he connected the system, there was no glow at the LEDs. He mentioned that the SX4 is -ve wired system I did not understand. He is saying that there is voltage drop and hence LEDs are not glowing. He mentioned that to overcome this I need to connect a capacitor in parellel which will hold charge.

Not convinced completely, I asked him to go home, do some hoework and come back tomorrow.

In the mean time can someone guide me on this?

The accessory is non OEM and hence A$$ is not willing to fit. Moreover the guys at A$$ are much worse technically. I anyday believe my wireman more who is now doind job at VW, Skoda and Nissan A$$.
Old 5th April 2012, 14:38   #2
BHPian

Re: SX4 Illuminated door sill guards, how to wire?

Just a Guess here. But wouldnt tapping into the Door switches for each door ensure they only illuminate when the doos are open and not otherwise? Just like the interior lights in your car. he could probably use a adapter or socket so as not to Cut any wires!

This is just a thought though. maybe someone has a better solution.
Old 5th April 2012, 14:42   #3
BHPian

What I think he meant by -ve wired system is that the -ve terminal of the battery is connected to the chassis of the car (experts please correct me if I am wrong).
What you need to do is tap a wire from this switch and hook up the door sills wires. If you can't find the wire, take it to a car accessory shop. Most of them can do it effectively.
Attached Thumbnails
SX4 Illuminated door sill guards, how to wire?-20071224_174251_doorjambswitch.jpg  

Old 5th April 2012, 17:18   #4
BHPian

Tap the wire from the door switch,its very easy and once u tap the wire of the door switch to each sill,everytime u open a particular door only dat sill will light up,if u use just one door switch tap then irrespective of which door u open all two/four would glow.

A positive can be tapped from cigarette lighter,or acc wire to stereo.or still if u want this to work all time without key in ignition then give positve directly from battery.
Old 5th April 2012, 18:02   #5
BHPian

Hi, You can take connection from roof light wiring near fuse box.
Old 6th April 2012, 09:17   #6
BHPian

Earlier i had tapped it from the door limit switch wiring. But then instead of the backlight glowing on opening the door, it was glowing on closing the door.
Old 6th April 2012, 09:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

How did you wire it?

If you wire it like:

+ of sil unit to any + point of the car
- of sil to the door switch center point

Its should work.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 22:44   #8
BHPian

Skoda Rapid Illuminated Door Sill

I have been seeing some products like the one being sold at the following link:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Door-Sill...#ht_4598wt_922

Quote:
Make of high quality stainless steel in solid finishing.
Non rusty.
Easy and quick installation Easy installation, just need to stick with double sided adhesive sticker which will come with product.
They come in pairs of 2 for front door and rear door With Blue LED
Comes with 3m adhesive tape for Easy and quick installation
Led light will automatically light up when door is opened and Install them by connecting it to cars dome light.
100% Brand New item.
From the Product description (quoted above), it sounds like a plug and play device. However, I do not understand how does the sill manage to know whether the door is open or closed. I definitely wouldn't dare to cut/loop wires if that is required. So, wanted to double check with those who have actually purchased or at least seen this product before booking one. I found the following Team-BHP link where installation of a similar product for SX4 is discussed. It seems, wiring was required for that product. I don't know if it is the same brand as I am looking at.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-how-wire.html
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Illuminated scuff plates for Palio Stile?

Folks,

I am seeing lot of dirt marks and scratches around the door sill area in my Palio . I am afraid that it will cause lot of scratches around the area and my car being black in color it shows up prominently.

Do any of you know from where I can source illuminated scuff plates for Stile?

Most Viewed