Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2013, 22:10   #31
BHPian

Something similar had happened to our swift about an year and half ago. Though the explanation given by service station wasn't convincing but I will still state it here since the engines are almost same, except for branding, and most other mechanicals should be identical.

"They told me that a sensor which governs brake and clutch pressing wasn't working well and needed change. He further explained that when the clutch was released after changing gear, the sensor didn't send this information and hence accelerator input wasn't getting registered and the rpm and power were not delivered."

Don't know if this helps, and if this is true or not.
Old 29th September 2013, 00:19   #32
BHPian

Re: Temporary power loss in Linea MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Something similar had happened to our swift about an year and half ago.
"They told me that a sensor which governs brake and clutch pressing wasn't working well and needed change. He further explained that when the clutch was released after changing gear, the sensor didn't send this information and hence accelerator input wasn't getting registered and the rpm and power were not delivered."
Sorry for bumping into this thread. I faced a similar issue with my Verna CRDI today. I was driving within city limits, and had accelerated quickly to overtake another vehicle. Immediately after overtaking, I released the accelerator for engine braking and sensed a loss of power. The car was not at all responding to my pressing the throttle. Since the speed dropped, I downshifted, and tried pressing the pedal, but no effect. The speed gradually dropped, and it came to a standstill. I switched off the ignition, switched it back on, and tried to start again. It started without a fuss, and everything was back to normal. Since the incident happened immediately after quick acceleration, I didn't try heavy acceleration again and drove back home in a sedate way, with the RPM between 2K - 2.5K. There was no power drop observed this time.

Another thing is, the sensor stormerider mentioned in his post seems to be either the clutch switch or neutral switch (according to HASS SA). My Verna has been identified with faulty sensors (both clutch and neutral switch), for the last couple of months. The only impact, as I am told, is that when you release the accelerator for gear shifting, there is a shudder since the sensor does not properly control the fuel intake. Both the switches are due for replacement this week.

Any idea whether the power drop is related to the faulty switches? Or something wrong with the fuel lines, like a small leak or something?

-Vivek
Old 29th September 2013, 00:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post

Another thing is, the sensor stormerider mentioned in his post seems to be either the clutch switch or neutral switch (according to HASS SA).
Any idea whether the power drop is related to the faulty switches? Or something wrong with the fuel lines, like a small leak or something?

-Vivek
Hi Vivek. Hope the changing of sensors works for you too as it had for me. I don't think it is related to leak, as that would be evident on the floor of your garage/parking place.
In my case the car wasn't giving the hard acceleration which comes when you floor the throttle. It was a feeling as if I am applying brakes along with accelerating, though it never came to a standstill. Would request you to please post the solution and the name of sensor here for helping anyone in the future.

Cheers
Old 29th September 2013, 02:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The speed gradually dropped, and it came to a standstill. I switched off the ignition, switched it back on, and tried to start again. It started without a fuss, and everything was back to normal. -Vivek
It seems restarting helps in temporarily dealing with the problem. The recent cases of the cruise control refusing to disengage or allow a slowdown were dealt with by switching to neutral and restarting the car (just like one would restart a computer running Windows!). If you do experience the problem again till you get the sensor/switch replacements, you could try something similar. You would experience a temporary loss of steering power during the restart so ensure that there's a straight road when you are attempting the restart. The brakes on most cars typically do not go power-dead right away, but I don't know if that's the case with the Verna (I never drove/owned a Hyundai).
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 09:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Hi Vivek. Hope the changing of sensors works for you too as it had for me. I don't think it is related to leak, as that would be evident on the floor of your garage/parking place.
In my case the car wasn't giving the hard acceleration which comes when you floor the throttle. It was a feeling as if I am applying brakes along with accelerating, though it never came to a standstill. Would request you to please post the solution and the name of sensor here for helping anyone in the future.
Cheers
Sure stormerider. In my case, even after applying the throttle, the car did not respond. It continued to run as if it was in neutral, and came to a standstill. So, it was not a problem of loss of power during hard acceleration. But, the problem occurred immediately after a hard acceleration. Another thing is, the fuel level was a bit low (slightly above the red line, but no warning light). Anyway, I'll be replacing the sensors this week itself, and will update on the results for sure.
The reason I suspected a leak in the fuel line is because of this thread - which mentions about a loss of power following a sudden acceleration - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3223591.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
It seems restarting helps in temporarily dealing with the problem. The recent cases of the cruise control refusing to disengage or allow a slowdown were dealt with by switching to neutral and restarting the car (just like one would restart a computer running Windows!). If you do experience the problem again till you get the sensor/switch replacements, you could try something similar. You would experience a temporary loss of steering power during the restart so ensure that there's a straight road when you are attempting the restart. The brakes on most cars typically do not go power-dead right away, but I don't know if that's the case with the Verna (I never drove/owned a Hyundai).
Thanks Nitin. I'll keep this point in mind. I guess the brakes wont lose power immediately on switching off. Moreover, I'd rather prefer the car coming to a standstill and then try restarting it. Had diagnosed the issue with sensors last month, and the HASS had ordered the parts. I had called them up on Friday and they said the parts are ready and can be replaced anytime. I was anyway thinking of doing it this week itself. Will keep you posted
Old 29th September 2013, 13:34   #36
BHPian

The issue has become severe with my car. Now, everytime I hit the highway, this powerloss thing comes up at every 30kms or so. When that happens, there is no other option other than switching off and starting back. Took my car to TASS and they suggested that I should replace the EGR valve assembly. I hope their diagnosis is correct.
Old 30th September 2013, 00:56   #37
BHPian

My Punto did a similar activity while I was doing Hyderabad to Aurangabad, but one striking thing I remember was the below activity happened after I Crossed a ~ 10m x 0.75 foot deep water body as it was raining heavily ...
1>check engine light came up
2>lost the turbo
3>With my friend BHPan Samba's help called the fiat roadside assistance , to my astonishment the guy from fiat said you can still go to aurangabad at cruising speeds of 50-60 and I had still 400km to cover
4>cancelled trip came back home
5>next day check engine light was still on , but turbo was back on and giving that boeing 747 effect
6>went to service center , left it in the sun ... came back and even the check engine light was gone
7>asked the service center guys to run a diagnosis connecting to the console ... it returned zero errors
8>yesterday did a 200km run without any hiccups whatsoever

Was it the rain , was it the fuel or air filter ... as it was recently serviced is very hard for me to determine but I'm pretty confident on that console reporting zero errors

Last edited by ARAY : 30th September 2013 at 00:59.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 23:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Sure stormerider. In my case, even after applying the throttle, the car did not respond. It continued to run as if it was in neutral, and came to a standstill. Anyway, I'll be replacing the sensors this week itself, and will update on the results for sure.

Thanks Nitin. Had diagnosed the issue with sensors last month, and the HASS had ordered the parts. I had called them up on Friday and they said the parts are ready and can be replaced anytime. I was anyway thinking of doing it this week itself. Will keep you posted
Replaced the Clutch switch and Neutral switch this week. Drove the car for almost 250 kms after that, and didn't face any issues. Major observations after changing the switches
- the shudder at the moment when I release the accelerator and depress the clutch is now gone (it was due to the faulty neutral switch it seems)
- the temporary power loss after quick acceleration is also now gone, it seems.

Will keep you posted if I observe the issue again.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:39   #39
BHPian

Hi Vivek,

Can you please post the details of the clutch or Neutral Switch - I mean the service bill. I also seem to have a similar issue.
Issue:
1. When I press the clutch when I want to shift gears especially from first to second the car seems to loose power (slows down)
2. The car seems to jerk when I lightly press the throttle during stop-go traffic.

Probable cause:
I had driven down from Bangalore to Chennai on Monday. I had planned to fuel in A2B attached BP outlet in Chinnar when I started from e-City. However due to six laning the exit has been closed. So I had no other option but to proceed further and fuel in the HP COMCO at Eriyankadu (adjacent to Arya Bhavan). Since I had to travel further 130 Kms I was running very close to empty (DTE measure 160 Kms). So not sure if impurties at the bottom of the tank is clogging my fuel lines / fuel pump to cause the issue. I did not get this issue immediately but the next day after travelling 160 kms on the new fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks