Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2012, 20:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

I have had a similar problem in my Indica at 80K as part of normal wear & tear, I am not sure what it is called in English, but my neighborhood mechanic calls it "Gear ka Guchha" and changed it, it was something very close to a spring lookalike. He charged me 400 as labour and 700 for that spring kind of thing; its been close to a year after that the car is at 96k now and there has been absolutely no problem.
Old 29th April 2012, 11:24   #17
BHPian

Just to share some info, even if the vehicle is stuck in a gear, it can be towed without lifting the front end. I have seen it being done by Maruti mechanics for my friend's Wagonr. All they do is tow the vehicle with a driver in the vehicle, who keeps the clutch depressed the whole way. I can not comment technically if this is damaging to
the gear box or any other component. His car has not had any gear problems since.

In his case, he was moving the parked car out and ran over a small bolder. The moment the wheel got off the bolder, it flipped upward and bent the gear's connector rod under the car.
Old 29th April 2012, 14:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

A close friend's first gen i10 Era too had the same issue. He had to get it towed to the service station. All repair work was done under warranty. Prior to the reverse gear getting stuck, he was having trouble engaging the reverse gear and he was forcing it into reverse, till one day it got stuck in reverse gear.

A friend of mine who works in a Maruti A.S.S had once told me never to engage reverse gear if it was not slotting into reverse gear slot smoothly. Instead, to again slot it into a forward gear and then reverse. It works for me everytime I feel that the reverse gear is hard.

He had told that it had something to do with synchronized gears and that it was not a fault with the gear or clutch. For anyone having trouble engaging reverse, try this.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th April 2012 at 14:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks