Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2006, 12:30   #1
k36
BHPian

Swift: Ventilation blower pumps in HOT air

Hi All,
I took delivery of my new Swift VXi (Garnet Orange) last week, and am enjoying every moment of driving.
I've noticed that when I put the AC off with just the blower running, it pumps in hot air. Hot as compared to the ambient air. If I open the window glasses this difference is easily noticable. Temp contorller is set to minimum.

Just wanted to check if this is normal?

Thanks
Old 7th April 2006, 14:39   #2
BHPian

you have to switch over to "Fresh-Air" mode from (might be) current setting of "Recirculation".
Old 7th April 2006, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check if this happens for prolonged period. It may blow in hot air for a minute of so, but then should be back to normal ambient temperature. Check this!
Old 7th April 2006, 16:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there is any problem it happens even in my wagonR.
Old 7th April 2006, 18:33   #5
BHPian

actually you may be on Fresh air (Misnomer in most of our cities), so whenever you switch off the blower you immediately draw Hot air from outside.
Push the knob to Recirculation, you will get cool air and your AC peformance will skyrocket
Old 7th April 2006, 20:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

when does this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
Hi All,
I took delivery of my new Swift VXi (Garnet Orange) last week, and am enjoying every moment of driving.
I've noticed that when I put the AC off with just the blower running, it pumps in hot air. Hot as compared to the ambient air. If I open the window glasses this difference is easily noticable. Temp contorller is set to minimum.

Just wanted to check if this is normal?

Thanks
if this happens when you're just starting off, after having parked outside for a while, try this -> #2.

if this happens when you've been driving around for a while with the AC On, then try this -> #5.

just a note:
ambient temperature inside the car will be much higher during the day, than the temperature outside. while starting off after having parked outside during a warm/hot day, always roll down the windows for a while, shift the air-flow selector knob to Fresh Air and let the interiors ventilate a bit before turning On the AC. this will ensure quicker cooling.
mostly we tend to turn On the AC to Full as soon as we get in the car and curse it till it cools the interiors to the required level.. this just causes strain on the AC without doing much good (reduces efficiency).
Old 8th April 2006, 00:23   #7
BHPian

Your problem could be what i faced in my zen. Took Maruti six moths to find it. So you could give it a shot.

The problem was that even when the the knob was on "cool" the system was stil heating the air without AC and also that the AC was never very effective.

Dont remembr exactly but the elements/coil(dont exactly know how car heating is done) providing heating werent switching off, even when knob was on cool.

Maybe urs is the same thing.
try it out
Old 10th April 2006, 13:37   #8
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
The problem was that even when the the knob was on "cool" the system was stil heating the air without AC and also that the AC was never very effective.

Dont remembr exactly but the elements/coil(dont exactly know how car heating is done) providing heating werent switching off, even when knob was on cool.
This exactly is my fear Fuelled. will have to get it checked during the first service.

Anyway.. I had the car in fresh-air mode. After a long drive with AC ON I tried putting it off and opening the window panes. That's when I noticed this.
Thanks Guys.
Old 10th April 2006, 13:59   #9
BHPian

First hope theres Gas and no leaks.
Check the Evaporator and condensing Coils.
Old 10th April 2006, 14:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

had a similar problem on my ikon, the service station guys replaced some heater valva or something. get that checked.

manson.
Old 10th April 2006, 14:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
Anyway.. I had the car in fresh-air mode. After a long drive with AC ON I tried putting it off and opening the window panes. That's when I noticed this.
Thanks Guys.

Exactly- You have the blower running on "Fresh!!" air mode, thus what you are gonna get esp in our weather a full blast of hot air when you do that.
Its just gonna pump whats comin from outside Plus a lot of additional heat!

Try this the next time, switch the blower to recirc and then switch off the a/c and leave the blower on
Old 10th April 2006, 14:36   #12
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Its just gonna pump whats comin from outside Plus a lot of additional heat!

Try this the next time, switch the blower to recirc and then switch off the a/c and leave the blower on
Yes Revvhead, I tried that. Recirculated air is definitely cooler than ambient air (through the window panes) which itself is cooler than the fresh air from blower.
As I understand, heating in cars is done by mixing hot air from engine with fresh air and pumping it in the cabin. I don't see any reason for it to happen when I set my temp controls to coolest.
I'll get it checked during my first service.
Old 10th April 2006, 18:35   #13
BHPian

Well Your car's button for fresh air from outside is not working.If i am not wrong it is set on air from outside even when you turn it off..Get it checked immediately.

because if that is the case then you car's A.C also must not be performing that well because its letting in air from outside and because of this even condenser is working double the normal level, that mean less of mileage and more load on engine because of double working condenser.
Old 15th April 2006, 18:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
Y
As I understand, heating in cars is done by mixing hot air from engine with fresh air and pumping it in the cabin. I don't see any reason for it to happen when I set my temp controls to coolest.
I'll get it checked during my first service.
Actually, there is a coil somewhere under your dashboard that heated coolant / water from the engine flows thru. When you move your "hot/cold" slider or your climate control system decides to "warm" the air inside the cabin, some of the air from the blower is routed by a flap / door past this coil and you end up getting heated air.

Sometimes the cable that drives this flap develops excess play and it does not close properly allowing some air to "leak" past the heating coil; in motorized versions, sometimes the motor gets weak with a similar effect. The flap seals against a thin piece of sponge in my Esteem... when this gets aged, it breaks off and again... leaky flap!

k36, you can get this checked at an AC mechanic.

- T u r b o C -
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:27   #15
k36
BHPian

Got this fixed during the first service. Apparently some valve was not set properly (don't remember the exact name). Blower air is much much closer to ambient now

Most Viewed