Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Vag-com (VCDS) and Passat B7

Hi,

This is my first post on Team-BHP and I request everyone to be lenient and overlook my obvious mistakes (if you do find any).

I’ll kickstart this thread with a quick background first – I bought a Mercedes C250 and a Passat B7 last year. Both the cars have proved to be a good purchase, in terms of, value for money, performance, reliability and features. While they do offer a lot of features for the average Joe, I have always been interested in getting more out of my vehicles, gadgets, et cetera. I couldn’t find anything economically suitable for the Mercedes C250, but after doing a bit of research I found a suitable enthusiast’s tool called VCDS from Ross-tech for my Passat. It took a while to decide and to do some additional research, but eventually I ended up ordering it from their website. I got it last month and ever since then I have been constantly tinkering around with my car to customize whatever I can as per my taste.

So far so good but the reason why I am posting today is to seek assistance from my fellow BHPians. During one of the many adventurous sessions, I was trying to increase the intensity (brightness) of my LEDS and raise the ground level of the Bi-xenon lights, I somehow deleted the calibration settings of my headlights (it’s a feature which shifts the headlights focus in the same direction as the steering wheel). Now recalibrating them is not a big problem, it’s a simple procedure which should not take more than 2 minutes. The reason why I am unable to do this is because in order to access recalibration settings in VCDS under control module 55 basic settings, the controller requires a security key from the user to allow access to the system. Finding a security access key over the internet for older components is not a big problem, but this being a relatively new chassis has made it impossible to find one. I’ve been told that these access codes are provided by the manufacturer in the factory service manual. Is there anyone out there who has access to the new Passat B7’s service manual or knows the access code for the controller module provided below:

Address 55: Xenon Range (J745) Labels: 5M0-907-357-V3.clb
Part No SW: 5M0 907 357 E HW: 7L6 907 357 C
Component: AFS-ECU H04 0080
Revision: -------- Serial number: --------------
Coding: 029600000B000200
Shop #: WSC 73430 115 00052
ASAM Dataset: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSPt 002006
ROD: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSPt.rod
VCID: 36690A66895C5C9

Thank you.

Last edited by ajmat : 31st May 2012 at 16:08.
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Vag-com (VCDS) and Passat B7

^ I think the secret Key is specific to your car and not to a model.
you might want to invest in a VAG Tacho or a VAG Commander, those 2 can get the codes you need.
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:09   #3
BHPian

Suggest to get in touch with rosstech support they would let you know what and how, they are very prompt in support, you will need to send the complete scan which will also have the VCDS code to verify its original. They will let you the code and even the setting you need to put. Other than that please visit vwvortex.com forum to know more about your vw passat and if you need. Manuals you can buy it from vw Erwin website online, this is vw original and from vw only. Hope this helps.

The security code are generally very generic, but sometime it's very difficult or even not possible to do from other tools, it may need online connection with vw server, this can only be done with VAG tool which are connected.

-Pramod
Old 5th June 2012, 10:41   #4
BHPian

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Thank you for your replies. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Sprucegoose - Both VAG Tacho and VAG Commander are good products but from whatever information I gathered before buying VCDS is that VAG Tacho is mostly compatible with cars which were manufactured before 2004 while VAG Commander is a useful tool for odometer setting and for finding security keys. If I’m unable to resolve this problem I might decide to incur further damages with a VAG Commander and check its usefulness.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Pramods – I mailed rosstech support. After a couple of interactions Dana @ rosstech wrote that it’s a bug in their software, the 55-xenon range module should not be asking for a security key. She said that I can expect this to be fixed in the next software update. Seems like there isn’t much I can do but wait![/FONT][/SIZE]
Old 5th June 2012, 10:43   #5
BHPian

Thank you for your replies.

Sprucegoose - Both VAG Tacho and VAG Commander are good products but from whatever information I gathered before buying VCDS is that VAG Tacho is mostly compatible with cars which were manufactured before 2004 while VAG Commander is a useful tool for odometer setting and for finding security keys. If I’m unable to resolve this problem I might decide to incur further damages with a VAG Commander and check its usefulness.

Pramods – I mailed rosstech support. After a couple of interactions Dana @ rosstech wrote that it’s a bug in their software, the 55-xenon range module should not be asking for a security key. She said that I can expect this to be fixed in the next software update. Seems like there isn’t much I can do but wait!
Old 8th June 2014, 22:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
Thank you for your replies.

Sprucegoose - Both VAG Tacho and VAG Commander are good products but from whatever information I gathered before buying VCDS is that VAG Tacho is mostly compatible with cars which were manufactured before 2004 while VAG Commander is a useful tool for odometer setting and for finding security keys. If I’m unable to resolve this problem I might decide to incur further damages with a VAG Commander and check its usefulness.

Pramods – I mailed rosstech support. After a couple of interactions Dana @ rosstech wrote that it’s a bug in their software, the 55-xenon range module should not be asking for a security key. She said that I can expect this to be fixed in the next software update. Seems like there isn’t much I can do but wait!
Hi exhaustpipe, How u doin? I am also a fellow Passat B7 owner (and proud). I was looking for someone with a VCDS cable to enable certain features that are currently not activated.

Mine is a trendline, so what kind of features have you been able to activate. Also, would it be possible to connect someday in delhi or gurgaon where I could use your help for the same
Old 30th November 2014, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
I mailed rosstech support. After a couple of interactions Dana @ rosstech wrote that it’s a bug in their software, the 55-xenon range module should not be asking for a security key. She said that I can expect this to be fixed in the next software update. Seems like there isn’t much I can do but wait!
Hi exhaustpipe,

Has Ross tech resolved the issue in the software update?

What are the upgrades you have done on your Passat?
Old 1st December 2014, 00:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Hi exhaustpipe,

Has Ross tech resolved the issue in the software update?

What are the upgrades you have done on your Passat?
Hey.

I sold my cable on ebay after several failed attempts in getting an update from Rosstech. I have been thinking about buying one again to see if they have update their application with the modules in our car but buying the cable again doesn't seem to be a very economical decision.

Is there anyone of T-BHP who has the original cable and might want to waste a couple of hours over the weekend?

Best,
E-pipe
exhaustpipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 01:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi exhaustpipe, How u doin? I am also a fellow Passat B7 owner (and proud). I was looking for someone with a VCDS cable to enable certain features that are currently not activated.

Mine is a trendline, so what kind of features have you been able to activate. Also, would it be possible to connect someday in delhi or gurgaon where I could use your help for the same
Hi Crazy_Bean,

Apologies for responding to you now. I missed your message when it was posted and read it just now.

Are you in Gurgaon? If so then maybe we can catch up sometime to discuss and try to resolve some issues with our cars (In reality, just my car ). Lately, I have been facing the following issues with my car and the blokes at VW haven’t been of much help;

1. Too much noise from outside when going over bumps. My guess is its coming from the body panels.

2. Suspension needs to be fed, such as with new front link rods.

3. The leather on the driver seat is giving away at a few places.

4. While using paddle shifts my car, once in a month or two, while in the 3rd gear is unable to engage the engine. This gets resolved my going into 2nd or 4th and then coming back into 3rd. This problem has been around since the day I bought the car. I never gave it much thought but my extended warranty is coming to an end next year and I am contemplating on taking it to the service center. I read in a post somewhere online that the Passat B7 has received two firmware updates for transmission from VW. The 'experts' at the service center, where I take my car, are clueless.

5. Finally, the lack of A2DP profile in the Bluetooth module is getting on my nerves. I read that in the EU this has been resolved by a firmware update. Again no luck with VW India! Is your stereo able to display track information on Bluetooth? And are you able to change tracks from the steering controls?

Best,
E-pipe
Old 25th June 2016, 16:04   #10
BHPian

E pipe - you still interested in vcds? let me know, lets catch up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks