Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 01:14   #1
BHPian

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well

Hi everyone

Faced a very unique situation today. Had gone to fill pressure in all tyres to optimum for my beloved lemony Ford Figo http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ownership.html.

As it is customary for us to check pressure in all tires including the spare, opened the dicky and was just left dumbstruck after seeing what i saw !

The tire well was filled with water, the matting was completely destroyed, my documents kept in the dicky all wet, rust formation on rims and slippery algae formation on the surface of rubber area of the wheel and the very important Jack stuck in a non functional state due to being all wet. Rust is also now formed all over the tire-well area.

Now, this has happened in last 3 days and out of those only one 1 day the car had to face somewhat continuous rain.

As soon as I saw this, I had no option but to visit Bhavna Ford, Nerul asap. The guy present there was the same person who had worked on my car during it`s repaint process earlier this year (which demands a different horror story altogether, anyways...) and was very casual with regards to such a pathetic fault in the car.

So had to make some frequent calls to reach to the higher ups present in FORD to let them know of the issue faced and request them to ask this Bhavna Ford people to get done with this car for once and final time.

Now due to some shifting process going on, I am supposed to take my car to them next week or maybe even next weekend (they are shifting to a new base in navi mumbai itself). That leaves me to the mercy of rain gods till then.

Pathetic Service by all means ! Ford. Avoid. Do not Harass.

Guys, now you tell me; What should i Do ?
Attached Thumbnails
Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_144732.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_144627.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_143846.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_143842.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_143853.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_143902.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_144611.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_144615.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_144543.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120628_144713.jpg  

Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 01:38   #2
BHPian

re: Ford Figo: Leak in the Spare Wheel Well

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, although my, er, boat has less water in it.
Since I bought an Ikon secondhand, I wasn't aware of all of its kinks. A couple of days back, it started raining, and I had water in the boot- kind of like you- and water seeping into the floor mats in the front passenger area. But since my Ikon is well past it's warranty, I had no qualms getting my hands dirty to fix it.
I traced both issues. The passenger side issue was easy to trace- a seal on the wiring harness that goes between the cabin and engine bay is missing. Replacing it is still an ongoing process. Shreeji Ford was useful as ever. After 3 days to "locate" the part, they told me I'd have to take it to a different S.C. One that is 25 KMS away. Where they'll probably take the whole day, not to mention I'll probably spend more on the fuel and toll than on the seal. I have come up with my own rubber-sleeve thingy for the hole, and hopefully it will plug the leak.
The boot issue has been fixed already. Turns out, there were 2 entry points for the water-
1. Boot lock gasket.
2. Hole for a fastener that is missing.
I filled the hole with some silicone sealant. I added a round rubber patch to the old gasket, so it fit more snugly. Fixed both issues, but it still leaked! As it turns out, I'd removed the tail lamp to access the area more easily, and no matter how I fixed it back, the rubber gasket wouldn't seal, and water would get in through the tail lamp. Eventually I gave up on the idea of fixing it perfectly (I think the rubber has lost it's flexibility. It was probably stuck to the panel before I removed it.) Instead, I made a bead of silicone caulk on the gasket before fixing it. No more leaky boot!

I'd advise you to trace the leak and DIY fix it. Unless you want a rusted boot. Although I'm not sure how much damage it'll do in the 10 days it'll take for your A.S.C. to shift. Else, use a covered parking spot\car cover for 10 days.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 06:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Two possibilities:
  1. pic#7 suggests that both the drain plugs are in place - looks like when the car was washed last they forgot to open the drain plugs so some water has accumulated
  2. there is some opening in the spare wheel well which is allowing water in
Don't bother much about the corrosion - can be set right with some immediate scraping with emery and then a brush touch up.

Please make sure that the jack is completely dry , then operate it once/twice and then grease the screw
Old 29th June 2012, 07:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dinesh,

This cant be the case of water leftover after washing looking at the amount of water seen in the pics. Must have been due to water seepage through other source, you need to identify it fast as the problem can re occur before the Ford guys can diagnose it.

For the time being, cant the car be shown to another Ford dealer in the meanwhile. I guess Wasan Ford will be nearer to your place. And please dont label your car as a lemon as yet, the issue might be minor to be quicly resolved.
Old 29th June 2012, 07:38   #5
BHPian

Wow. My car doesn't have drain plugs in the tyre well. I had to use a can to remove most of the water, followed by soaking a cloth in it and wringing it out! I followed that up with a blower.

See if you can look for the source of the water. You might find a tell-tale sign- a line of whitish dots\stains that appear to follow gravity.
Old 29th June 2012, 08:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

From the images, its very clear its not water from car wash. More like water seeping into due to rains. For sure it looks like there is some leakage near the hatch or rear windscreen. The amount of water is too much for a normal car wash to enter into the boot. Top the best of my knowledge, a normal wash must not let water enter into the car's boot, this is applicable to smaller cars like even Alto. There is something wrong or missing here, like beading or some sealant.

EDIT : Rust wont be formed in a day or two. Given the Algae formation, its also possible that water might be getting accumulated from daily wash and after the rain all things became more evident.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th June 2012 at 08:42.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
From the images, its very clear its not water from car wash. More like water seeping into due to rains. For sure it looks like there is some leakage near the hatch or rear windscreen. The amount of water is too much for a normal car wash to enter into the boot. Top the best of my knowledge, a normal wash must not let water enter into the car's boot, this is applicable to smaller cars like even Alto. There is something wrong or missing here, like beading or some sealant.

EDIT : Rust wont be formed in a day or two. Given the Algae formation, its also possible that water might be getting accumulated from daily wash and after the rain all things became more evident.
I agree with aaggoswami that this issue probably has been there for sometime and just got noticed now when it got worse. Check for possible leak points like beading, wire entry points etc. Have you done any after market mods that involved drilling holes etc. I had a case with a friend who installed a switch for i10 boot for autocop connection and had to drill a hole for that. That hole wasnt water tight and resulted in water seeping into the rear seat footwell.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:41   #8
BHPian

Why is all this "Made for India to a cost" (read Etios/Liva and now Figo) all having water leakage problems?? Wonder what all these QA are smoking these days approving such cars!!
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 14:37   #9
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my Ford IKON Car after 5 years of running. Suddenly one day the well in the boot was filled with water. May be it was filled long time back but I didnt notice as I dont use the boot much. l took the car to Ford service center which was 500mts from where I noticed this. They took close to 2 hours of inspection and came to conclusion that when my car was washed by the driver he left the boot open and the water got accumulated - false observation.

I did no modification. The car at that time was with its all OEM fittings only.

I took to a local reliable car repair shed. He immediately pointed out that some of the Ford cars have this issue and pointed to a small joint near the foot [external] to the front door. This is the place where there is a joint so that the front door can open [right at the bottom nearly 2 inches from the joint]. I suggest check around this place on both the sides [Left & Right] and my guess is you should find something here.

Sold the car a couple of weeks back else would have posted the picture which caused the water to seep into the boot and the front passenger foot area.

Solved the problem by small welding [filling] as my car color is balck it didnt standout as a fix.

Last edited by NikhilReddy : 29th June 2012 at 14:52.
Old 29th June 2012, 15:15   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Figo: Leak in the Spare Wheel Well

You might want to check out this related thread as well.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo: Leak in the Spare Wheel Well

Cant you dry it out yourself and try to reproduce the problem yourself ? . I know this has to be done by them ,but you can give a try ,the fix can be quite simple .Check the beading on the rear door .
Old 16th July 2012, 11:39   #12

Leakage in 11month old Hyundai i10

Hello Fellow BHPians.

Would like to share an issue with water leakage in 11 month old Hyundai i10. I was shocked to see the spear wheel submerged in water.

Not sure why and how this could happen. I noticed that there seems to be some kind of white coating/patch-work applied at the inside corners covering the entire stretch of the rear bumper, making me wonder was this some of cheap solution which the Hyundai A.S.S would have carried out during service and did not both to bring to my notice? Could this be the reason for the leakage? Any way called the Hyundai help line number and they advised to open the rubber seal which would drain out the water and also mentioned that this might be due to some water leakage (thanks for the clarification) and bring the car to service center for further examination. Also not to mention the rusting in few areas and in tyre rim

Have any of the Hyundai i10 owner’s faced such issues and what are my options to rectify this problem? My car is under warranty so would I have to pay for this mess?

I have booked a service appointment this Saturday. Hope things would be sorted out.

Sharing few picks I clicked from my mobile
Attached Thumbnails
Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120715-18.14.05.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-copy_20120715-18.13.55.jpg  

Leak in the Spare Wheel Well-20120715-18.18.32.jpg  

Old 16th July 2012, 12:01   #13
BHPian

Re: Leakage in 11month old Hyundai i10

They should do it under warranty. But I'm not sure whether rubber seals and gaskets are covered. In any case, you could ask them to do it as a goodwill gesture, since it is an 11 month car.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Lately there have been many instances reported on the forum about water getting into the spare wheel area. I have personally seen instances of this over multiple manufacturers and multiple make of cars. Also worth noting is there have been various reasons this has happened.

Some have found some leak in the gasket, and while doing a pressure underbelly wash the water gets in and stays there as the pressure isn't enough for it to get out.

Some have found it to have got in through the boot lining rubber which has become weak in some parts making the water during rains or wash getting in and collected over a long period of time.

Either way get to the dealer as quickly as you can and report the problem, and let them diagnose the source of the problem. By the way i do not think you need an appointment in this case, as this is not a regular service but a problem that needs addressing asap as this could lead to rusting.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:30   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
Hello Fellow BHPians.

Would like to share an issue with water leakage in 11 month old Hyundai i10. I was shocked to see the spear wheel submerged in water.

Not sure why and how this could happen. I noticed that there seems to be some kind of white coating/patch-work applied at the inside corners covering the entire stretch of the rear bumper, making me wonder was this some of cheap solution which the Hyundai A.S.S would have carried out during service and did not both to bring to my notice? Could this be the reason for the leakage? Any way called the Hyundai help line number and they advised to open the rubber seal which would drain out the water and also mentioned that this might be due to some water leakage (thanks for the clarification) and bring the car to service center for further examination. Also not to mention the rusting in few areas and in tyre rim

Have any of the Hyundai i10 owner’s faced such issues and what are my options to rectify this problem? My car is under warranty so would I have to pay for this mess?

I have booked a service appointment this Saturday. Hope things would be sorted out.

Sharing few picks I clicked from my mobile
Does this happen when you wade through a water pool or after a car wash?

Only the spare wheel well is getting the water or the whole boot?

The water may be entering through the boot rubber gasket and may not be channeling the water outside.

Last edited by a4anurag : 16th July 2012 at 16:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks