Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2006, 19:21   #1
BHPian

idling fuel consumption and pollution

I had a discussion about this with some of my friends. Want to know your opinion too..

Generally people are adviced to switch off their engines at the traffic stops whan there is lots of time for the green light to come on. also I know that igniting the engine takes a lot of fuel. my friend here says that it would be more of a saving on fuel if you idle the car at the traffic signals than to swtch off and re-start. also he says that the "switch off your engines" advice is to cut down pollution at the cost of fuel wasted during ignition.

1)My question is that whether this is true or not.
2)how many minutes of idling in an average car would be equivalent to startin it up?

PS- I think this can if we know the correct facts, we can save millions of litres of the prescious resource..............
Old 15th April 2006, 19:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go through this link this may help you but it is a bit extreame so do not pull out your seats and similar thins mentioned in the article

http://www.lake-link.com/dodge/truck...m?TruckTipID=7
Old 16th April 2006, 16:02   #3
BHPian

thanks pramod...
any more contributions into the discussion would be most welcomed.......
Old 16th April 2006, 19:12   #4
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uel+Efficiency
its been discussed way too much here..you'll get your answers
Old 17th April 2006, 03:31   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

See this one too http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-position.html
Old 17th April 2006, 07:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
Go through this link this may help you but it is a bit extreame so do not pull out your seats and similar thins mentioned in the article

http://www.lake-link.com/dodge/truck...m?TruckTipID=7
quoted from above site

"Auto air conditioners can reduce fuel economy by 10% to 20%. Heater fan, power windows and seats increase engine load; the more load on your engine, the less miles per gallon. "
does this mean swift zxi with climate cont will set u bck with better fe than swift lxi?
Old 17th April 2006, 08:20   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
"Auto air conditioners can reduce fuel economy by 10% to 20%.
It might be just referring to automobile airconditioners.
I think the conventional car a/c would consume more fuel b'coz their cut-off point is not defined.

Heaters don't put load on the engine...

Every other electronic device does... through the alternator.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:21   #8
BHPian

How much of fuel is used up during idle?

I want to know how much of fuel is used up during idle?
How many hours will a car idle for 1litre of petrol/diesel?
I think weight is one of the major factors for getting less mileage in Palio.If the car is in idle,weight disadvantage is not there so does that mean Palio will also idle as long as swift or alto for say 1ltr of petrol?

I tried searching for similar thread here and also in google but could not find it.Hence posting a new one.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I want to know how much of fuel is used up during idle?
How many hours will a car idle for 1litre of petrol/diesel?
I think weight is one of the major factors for getting less mileage in Palio.If the car is in idle,weight disadvantage is not there so does that mean Palio will also idle as long as swift or alto for say 1ltr of petrol?

I tried searching for similar thread here and also in google but could not find it.Hence posting a new one.
]

Found somewhere, "a normal petrol car consumes around 10 to 15ml petrol per minute" so that is essentially apprx. a litre an hour.

Talking about comparing 2 cars during idling, I think it would depend not only on the engine displacement, no. of valves but also the Configuration of the fuel valve.

Also read this : "the FE reduces during idling because the engine heats up as there is no air in the opposite direction as is when it is travelling"..
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:27   #10
BHPian

There are many factors for this-

1) Idling speed
2) valve setting
3) engine size
4) Air & fuel filter clearances
5) Ignition wires
6) Ac or Non Ac operation
7) MPFI technical components and their setting

I personally used to keep the idling speed close to 750 rpm, some vibration used to come through the steering and gear lever but was ok. Used to get 13-15 kmpl without the AC in South Mumbai traffic.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:16   #11
BHPian

Hi,

In Hyundai Accent 1.5l it varies between 0.8 Liter per hour to 1.2 Liter per hour depending on if the AC is off or ON. This result I've got from Scangauge installed on my car.
Based on this I belive all the cars in range on 1.4l to 1.8l should have almost similar results.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Very nice question. I've been wondering too if I am wasting fuel while idling at signals or waiting for someone.

The rule I have followed is "If its 2 minutes or more of idling, then you're better off switching the engine off, however if it is less than 2 minutes, then its not economically viable to switch off the engine since you would consume more fuel to start it back"
Old 4th December 2010, 18:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading in the manual of one of my cars (forgot which one) that typically the car consumes 100cc of fuel for 10 minutes of idling. So this means it can idle for about 100 minutes in 1 liter of petrol.

This consumption rate seems to be a bit less than what saurabhkum has reported above with his scangauge. But overall, it is still in the same ballpark and so you can get a general idea of consumption rate during idling.
Old 4th December 2010, 22:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I remember reading in the manual of one of my cars (forgot which one) that typically the car consumes 100cc of fuel for 10 minutes of idling.
Yes, i just remembered it, the exact line is there in my Alto manual.
Old 8th December 2010, 15:56   #15
BHPian

Re: How much of fuel is used up during idle?

It would also be interesting to know how much fuel is consumed at the time of cranking the engine. I am guessing it would be equivalent of 45 seconds to 1 min of idling. I do not know the rpm as I do not have that in my m800, but in motorcycles, I have been able to extract maximum mileage just by equating the amount of fuel consumed to thumb-start the engine = 5 seconds of idling at 1100 rpm. I have a Unicorn and I get about 58 kmpl regularly all within the city.

It helps that I am a sedate driver/rider.

Prajwal
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks