Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 08:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Oil-like Fluid coming out of the exhaust pipe

Yesterday afternoon I returned from a trip to a friend of mine in my 2002 ZEN. After about 2 hours of rest I decided to go to a nearby temple along with my brother. As I revved up the car, my brother who was standing behind the car waiting for me to take it out from the garage complained that the exhaust was throwing out some oil-like fluid everytime the car was revved. I checked it and yes my brother was right.
Took the car to KP automobiles but they were not able to find the cause. After some time the problem resolved automatically.
Can anyone tell what possibly could be the cause of this problem. And can I drive the car in this state or should i consider any other service station.

I am attaching the pics of the oil for your reference
Attached Thumbnails
Oil-like Fluid coming out of the exhaust pipe-dsc01065.jpg  

Oil-like Fluid coming out of the exhaust pipe-dsc01066.jpg  

Oil-like Fluid coming out of the exhaust pipe-dsc01067.jpg  

Old 14th July 2012, 09:09   #2
BHPian

re: Oil-like Fluid coming out of the exhaust pipe

Wow! That doesn't look good. Does this happen only when you rev hard and lift off the throttle or every time u lift off the throttle irrespective of the RPM?
Would suggest an oil change as well if it has been a long time or you have driven a lot of kms.

Last edited by kaush666 : 14th July 2012 at 09:16.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please check the Engine Oil level and if there are dirt (carbon) particles in it.
Also when was the oil replaced? How much has the car run (Odo reading)?

EDIT

Is the oil thrown out irrespective of engine temp (Cold or Hot)?

How is the pickup and fuel efficiency of the car?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 14th July 2012 at 09:24. Reason: Edited due to posting within 30 minutes time frame.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Wow! That doesn't look good. Does this happen only when you rev hard and lift off the throttle or every time u lift off the throttle irrespective of the RPM?
It happens irrespective of the RPM. I first noticed it while reversing the car and the car was not revved hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Please check the Engine Oil level and if there are dirt (carbon) particles in it.
Also when was the oil replaced? How much has the car run (Odo reading)?
The oil was replaced 2 months back during servicing. The car is about to touch the 1lakh reading on the odo.

Last edited by dZired : 14th July 2012 at 09:19.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
It happens irrespective of the RPM. I first noticed it while reversing the car and the car was not revved hard.

The oil was replaced 2 months back during servicing. .
Check the oil level first.

Also it could be soot from the exhaust that has built up over the years and condensation inside exhaust mixing up.

Does your car smoke on revving?

Quote:
If the smoke is blue/gray, it means that engine oil is leaking into the combustion chamber. If the leak is huge, it might be able to directly come out of the exhaust pipe too. Which would mean the dark liquid you observed first is actually oil but not a soot-water mix.
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 09:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

Is the oil thrown out irrespective of engine temp (Cold or Hot)?

How is the pickup and fuel efficiency of the car?
As informed in my first post, the car had taken rest for about 2 hours after the trip to my friend and hence the engine was not that hot. When I took it to the service station the temperature was again normal but still the problem was persisting. The car i quite well maintained and there is no lack of pickup, FE is around 16 in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Check the oil level first.

Also it could be soot from the exhaust that has built up over the years and condensation inside exhaust mixing up.

Does your car smoke on revving?
Will surely check the oil level ASAP sir. The car doesnt smoke at all.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Did you feel it with fingers ? . How is it , oil or (water + soot ) ? . The cat converter give out water .If its really oil ,then you should check it up.

Last edited by black12rr : 14th July 2012 at 12:24.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Did you feel it with fingers ? . How is it , oil or (water + soot ) ? . The cat converter give out water .If its really oil ,then you should check it up.
Yes it was indeed oil. It was thick and had high viscosity so cant be water and soot. I will take it to another service station to get it checked.

Checked the engine oil too. Its fine.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:59   #9
BHPian

Have you used any fuel additives?Or changed fuel bunk recently?

If your car isn't smoking from the tail pipe and oil levels are fine then this looks like actual carbon being thrown out from the exhaust which is would say is great.A possible thing coz every time u rev your actually getting all that carbon to go out from the exhaust.

Maybe experts can say if this is the same as a italian tune-up.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff :
Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
For example, please do not replace, coz for because, u for you etc
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Thanks,
Support team

Last edited by bblost : 14th July 2012 at 21:20. Reason: Inline. Check post.
Old 14th July 2012, 13:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

From the picture it appears to be carbon soot laden moisture. During cold start it is common to eject moisture and would be more in cold weather or during rainy season.
Check the following,
  1. Engine Oil for drop in level and for water content in which case the oil will be foamy.
  2. Coolant for traces of oil.
  3. Spark Plugs for oil traces or thick velvetty soot.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 13:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Have you used any fuel additives?Or changed fuel bunk recently?

If your car isn't smoking from the tail pipe and oil levels are fine then this looks like actual carbon being thrown out from the exhaust which is would say is great.A possible thing coz every time u rev your actually getting all that carbon to go out from the exhaust.

Maybe experts can say if this is the same as a italian tune-up.
Yes the service guys used some additional additives during the last service (which costed me around 500 bucks). I dont remeber the name though . The oil levels are absolutely fine as I have checked it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
From the picture it appears to be carbon soot laden moisture. During cold start it is common to eject moisture and would be more in cold weather or during rainy season.
Check the following,
  1. Engine Oil for drop in level and for water content in which case the oil will be foamy.
  2. Coolant for traces of oil.
  3. Spark Plugs for oil traces or thick velvetty soot.
I'll surely check these points sir. THANKS. Though the oil level is fine.
Old 14th July 2012, 15:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

What kind of an additive was used during the last service a fuel additive or a lube oil additive. There are some fuel additives which does a kind of a running de-carbonizing.
Old 14th July 2012, 15:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Did your service centre perform an engine flush?
Old 14th July 2012, 16:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What kind of an additive was used during the last service a fuel additive or a lube oil additive. There are some fuel additives which does a kind of a running de-carbonizing.
It was a lube oil additive for sure. Will try to find out its name from the bill receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Did your service centre perform an engine flush?
No sir they didnt. It was just a regular oil service.
Old 14th July 2012, 17:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a lube oil additive for sure. Will try to find out its name from the bill receipt.
Quote:
Yes the service guys used some additional additives during the last service (which costed me around 500 bucks).
Quote:
Yes it was indeed oil. It was thick and had high viscosity so cant be water and soot.
dZired, can you please recheck the engine oil level in your car? Check for overfilling. Let me explain below

What normally happens is technicians fill up sufficient oil up to the required level and add an additive over it. So if your Zen takes 2.5L max and the technician fills 2.5L + 300ml of additive, that would mean there's 2.8L of oil+additive mixture in your sump.

So, check oil level on level ground after the engine has been switched off for at least 20 minutes to let the oil drain back into the sump. The level should be between the Empty and Full mark on the dip stick but not more than 1 mm over the F mark. If there's excess oil please have it drained out through the drain plug. Excess oil is not good for the engine, not only does it lead to frothing of the oil, it will also foul the plugs and increase viscous drag on the engine. In extreme cases it can damage the engine as well.

Also, please note that if you fill in a good quality oil (what oil did they ASC fill?) you do NOT need additives. Just keep changing the oil at regular intervals as specified by MSIL.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks