Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:57   #1
BHPian

Swift stalling

Hi fellow BHPians,

I have a 2010 Swift Vdi and there is a peculiar problem with the car. It stalls suddenly without any jerk or anything and I am going crazy trying to figure out the problem.

However, the things to be noted are:

1. It stalls only when the air conditioning is on.
2. It happens only when I am shifting gears.

Like if I am going from gear 1 to 2 or say 3 to 4 and the car is accelerating it will never stall. However, when I am downshifting especially if the car is going downhill and my foot is off the accelerator it stalls.

There is no set pattern either like on some days it stalls 4 or 5 times over a couple of kms drive and on some occasions it drives flawlessly for several kms.

I have thrice been to authorised Maruti service centres and they too can't seem to find the fault despite explaining to them in detail.

Please help as on a couple of occasions when I was reaching a roundabout the car stalled while downshifting and the steering locked. I nearly slammed into a humongous Army truck.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:08   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

I have a 2010 Swift Vdi and there is a peculiar problem with the car. It stalls suddenly without any jerk or anything and I am going crazy trying to figure out the problem.
Could be an issue with your car's fuel pump. Ask the service guys to check it.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Most probably its a problem with the clutch switch. This senses the position of the clutch and feeds the info to the ECU.

I had the same problem in my i20 diesel. Where it used to stall when down shifting wit AC on.

Are you noticing any change in the idle rpm behaviour. Like rpm drop when slotting into gear from neutral? Or any abnormal variation in rpm when clutch is used?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 23rd July 2012 at 09:25.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow BHPians,

However, the things to be noted are:

1. It stalls only when the air conditioning is on.
2. It happens only when I am shifting gears.

Like if I am going from gear 1 to 2 or say 3 to 4 and the car is accelerating it will never stall. However, when I am downshifting especially if the car is going downhill and my foot is off the accelerator it stalls.

There is no set pattern either like on some days it stalls 4 or 5 times over a couple of kms drive and on some occasions it drives flawlessly for several kms.

I have thrice been to authorised Maruti service centres and they too can't seem to find the fault despite explaining to them in detail.

Please help as on a couple of occasions when I was reaching a roundabout the car stalled while downshifting and the steering locked. I nearly slammed into a humongous Army truck.
Most probably, its the clutch switch at work. I had this issue some time back and was solved by fixing this switch. Have you discussed this with your SA?
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Please ask your service centre to check & take action on the following:
  1. Clean fuel tank and fuel pump suction end filter thoroughly;
  2. Check fuel lines for free flow of fuel from fuel tank to engine;
  3. Check for water in diesel filter sedimenter, clean sedimenter, & replace diesel filter;
  4. Remove, clean and reinstall all electrical fuses, esp. those related to common-rail pump and ECU;
  5. Check electrical connections of each injector individually;
  6. Run an OBD scan even though Check Engine Light may not have lit up.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree with @nkg77 & @SS-Traveller that the problem has more to do with your fuel lines & particularly with the fuel pump. IMO the problem has arisen because of adulterated fuel & that might have never used System-G for diesel car.

Cleaning of fuel injectors is a simple task you need to learn once & need to carry on yourself at regular intervals, which can mitigate this problem.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
...fuel lines & particularly with the fuel pump
...never used System-G for diesel car.

Cleaning of fuel injectors is a simple task...
@CARDEEP: With this kind of misinformation, I am sure you would be confusing the OP even further!
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow BHPians,

Aah, Déjà vu.

Few figo owners on the forum, including me had the very same issue on our cars. However it was later corrected by Ford by upgrading the firmware of the ECU with a newer version. I'm not aware of any such fix for the swift. But I would ask you to get the Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) sensor checked and if possible replaced at the A.S.S. before going for all the fuel line bleeding etc. Most probably it should solve it.

All the best.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Most probably its a problem with the clutch switch. This senses the position of the clutch and feeds the info to the ECU.
No Sagar, the rpm is absolutely normal.

Thanks everyone. So, what I have gathered form all the responses is that I should get the car's Fuel Pump, Clutch Switch and Clutch Pedal Sensor checked.

Will update you all soon.

Cheers!

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 02:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 30th June 2013, 14:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Could be an issue with your car's fuel pump. Ask the service guys to check it.
Hey Ive been having a similar problem with my Fiat Palio 1.3 Multijet SDX.. when i downshift (Mostly from 3rd to 2nd), the Rpm Drops , the car jerks then its back to normal.. This happens if i shift to neutral and let go of the clutch. If i try to Downshift directly at times, then the car is stalling. Clutch seems fine, would i have to check my fuel lines as well? Any other details i should be looking at? Thanks!! the problem is the same when the AC is on or Off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks