Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:25   #1

Skoda 20v turbo

Good evening!

This is my first post on the form. If the moderators are ok with it, Id like to say hello to all the BHPians here before i begin! Its brings a smile on my face, every time i see a BHP sticker on a vehicle. Its our jersey!

Im Dr. Arun Kalarikal, a cosmetic dentist, owns and works at Uplands Dental Studio, Marathahalli, Bangalore. I;d love to have a cuppa with any of you who would drop by!

Been thinking of asking you guys for ur valuable help on an issue which has been one of the reasons i joined T-BHP.

The cars that i own are:
1. petrol skoda 20v turbo.
2. Fiat Linea multijet
3. Swift vdi
4. i10 sport
5. Kinetic honda
6. Just booked a thar (white)! n I've never been this restless in my whole life!
(all the vehicles have 9189 as the number, so if u see one please holler at me..would love to meet a fellow BHPian lol)

The skoda drives like a dream! Bought it brand new in 2005 and by now, i feel it is a extension of my self. God almighty and the 'czech almighty' has been real kind to me (touch the best wood!) cuz they have really worked as a team a few times.. in helping me out in some real tough situations. Bangalore to Karunagapally, my hometown (kerala) drives have always been memorable!

I've (mainly my dad) probably spent around 5 lacs in these 7 years as servicing charges on this beast. I love the car too much n therefore I always blame the Tafe access n Vinayak skoda guys for taking me fr a ride. The clutch plate was the main problem, mainly damaged because we've had quite a few drivers, and a stressed out businessman (my dad) driving it for the 4 years when i was living in the UK. Maybe the different driving styles have always taken the life out of the clutch plate. Changed it 4 times already! Every service has made me lighter by atleast 45k. N off late its really getting on my nerves. A recent rat-attack forced me to shell another 20k.

Carnation on the outer ring road, Marathahalli.. just opposite my clinic (Uplands Dental Studio), was another company which genuinely cheated me by fitting old parts and damaging the perfectly ok interiors (roof carpet, key). I did send a mail to the manager...but i still havent heard from him. I always tell my patients to NEVER give their cars to them!

Dad says that we could probabaly get around 3-5 lakhs for the car if we sell it since he calls it the 'AANA' (elephant)! I certainly dont wanna sell it, since i have decided to get it Pete's tuned in 2 years (when i could save some money.)

PRESENT PROBLEM:
The timing belt makes a loud noise. The tafe access guys tell me that the whole kit would cost around 46k. but Im certain, I dont wanna EVER give my car to them for service.
Could anyone tell me what would be the cheaper and better option? Im certain these guys are taking me for a ride cuz i dont know jack about the technical details! Ive also heard that skoda company mechanics also do freelance work. (?)
Please advice.

The last time i typed so much was during my dissertation!
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda 20v turbo

Hi Arun and welcome

I feel your pain. I have become an expert in the Skoda vRS and you can get some information from below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ighlight=beast

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...light=achilles

I let go of my Skoda last month and I do miss it but I do not get butterflies in my stomach everytime I go for a long journey. I still have my VAG-COm if you need to do a quick scan.
Have seen your clinic on the ORR. I also happen to know quite a few people with the same family name as you but they never heard of you!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 00:36   #3

Re: Skoda 20v turbo

Thanks for the help Ajit. I read all the posts on your threads. Really impressed with the knowledge you guys have, though some of it were definitely over-head-transmissions for me lol
How can I get in touch with you, so that you could guide me with the TB issue. Im planning to drive to kerala during Onam, so I'd really like to get it sorted before Aug end.
There are 3 groups of people who share my surname. More about it when we meet, and meet we should! Please do drop by anytime you pass through the ORR.
Thanks a ton, again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks