Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 11:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

Steering doesn't lock!

I have a '08 City and just noticed, the steering doesn't lock itself on moving when the key has been removed.

I otherwise drive a Corsa and have a habit of locking the steering while leaving the car.

I tried to do the same when in the City and realized the steering has free play.

We own a '05 Corsa and Zen and then the '08 City so I'm not sure if things have changed between this while. But, is this how it is meant to be?
Old 24th July 2012, 14:00   #2
BHPian

re: Steering doesn't lock!

Libran, my 2009 City does get locked. Compared to Xing I noticed that it needs more turn before it get's locked.

Are you saying it never locks no matter which direction you rotate on yours?
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 14:32   #3
BHPian

+1 to that raghu

You need to turn the steering a bit more and it gets locked.
Old 24th July 2012, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have a '08 City and just noticed, the steering doesn't lock itself on moving when the key has been removed.
it should lock.
were, by any chance, the wheels turned to one direction when you took out the key and tried the lock thing?
Old 25th July 2012, 21:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

It gets locked but you need to turn a little more.

In my WagonR I just need to turn the steering very slightly and it gets locked.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Steering Wheel Lock works along with the Ignition System Switch.
When the key is removed from the Ignition Switch, does the round thing that surrounds the Key slot come out?

When that round thing comes out (around 2mm), only then the steering can get locked.

Our Indigo LS (2004) sometimes faces this problem. When the round thing does not come out after removing the key from the slot, the steering does not get locked even if the Steering is turned LOCK TO LOCK.
What I did is I tapped the round thing and then it came out and I could lock the Steering.
You too can give it a try.

Off-Topic: -
Also our Indigo XL Grand Dicor came with OE Remote Locking System.
Even in this car if the round thing does not come out, the Remote Lock does not work. I tried locking the car using Remote 4-5 times, but in vain. Then I reinserted the key in the ignition slot, turned the key towards ACC, turned back to Lock Position and removed the key such that the round thing came out. Then the Remote Lock worked.
Old 26th July 2012, 01:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not know the mechanism which activates the lock in the Honda City, but AFAIK, usually, there will be a lock in the steering column, which latches on to steering rod grooves.

This mechanism is very simple, reliable and does not usually fail. If it has indeed failed, I'd suspect the key switch. Replacing which will be a costly affair, as you might have to replace all the locks.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:40   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I otherwise drive a Corsa and have a habit of locking the steering while leaving the car.

I tried to do the same when in the City and realized the steering has free play.

We own a '05 Corsa and Zen and then the '08 City so I'm not sure if things have changed between this while. But, is this how it is meant to be?
The steering must get locked when the steering is either turned to the left or right side. When its turned the left side it locks slightly before a half turn and when turned the right side it locks slightly after half turn.

What is happening in your case? Does it not lock in any direction or in any one direction?
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steering doesn't lock!

What happened Libran? You did not update your problem status here. Has the problem solved or not?
Old 23rd September 2012, 07:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Steering doesn't lock!

My bad! I left the country on 29th July so was terribly busy and couldn't reply.

The City was checked at Honda; there was some problem with a pin/clip that ensured free movement of the steering when the key was removed. The SA said it wasn't a major problem.

I'm not sure of the exact cause as I didn't take it to the A.S.S. but the rectification didn't take long and was FOC as warranty is still in force.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks