Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2006, 01:14   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
cng:diesel and petrol vehicles

i was on the road and i saw a cng cielo overtake me and right behind it was a bus(cng).then i started wondering,a diesel engine(compression ignition) in the bus is also running on cng and a petrol car is also running on cng...what does the fuel(cng)have that makes it compatable with compression ignition as well as spark ignition engines.because diesel engines require a fuel which has high cetane no. and petrol engines require a fuel which has a high octane no.so howcome cng is compatable with both the engines as the fundamental working of both the engines is different.throw some light on this topic.
p.s.mods ,sorry if this topic has been discussed before.kindly direct me to the topic if it has been.
Old 21st April 2006, 17:37   #2

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

wat the.....noboy knows this one or wat...cmon guys dig into those brains...
Old 21st April 2006, 21:12   #3
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
i was on the road and i saw a cng cielo overtake me and right behind it was a bus(cng).then i started wondering,a diesel engine(compression ignition) in the bus is also running on cng and a petrol car is also running on cng...what does the fuel(cng)have that makes it compatable with compression ignition as well as spark ignition engines.because diesel engines require a fuel which has high cetane no. and petrol engines require a fuel which has a high octane no.so howcome cng is compatable with both the engines as the fundamental working of both the engines is different.throw some light on this topic.
p.s.mods ,sorry if this topic has been discussed before.kindly direct me to the topic if it has been.
Most of the gases are more suitable for Otto cycle that is petrol engine. The diesel cycle was exprimented while development of diesel engine was taking place and for some reason the development stopped. Currently due to fuel quality, emmision and cost etc, there has been interest in gas engines.

The basic principle in operation the gas engine on diesel cycle is that there is a pilot diesel injection to start combustion the main combustion cylce with gas continues.

Please note also that cetane and octane numbers have got nothing to do with the cycle but with combustion quality.

RK

Last edited by jat : 21st April 2006 at 21:14.

Most Viewed