Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2006, 19:33   #1
BHPian

How does not being able to see the bonnet affect your driving style?

Nowadays, for most cars, the bonnet is so low, it can't be seen from driver's seat. For small cars eg. Alto, Santro, WagonR it is not a problem. Also, I know after few weeks of driving, a "sense of clearence" is developed.

But the real problem is when I have to drive a different car in congested road. With so many autos and rickshaws on sides, I feel quite nervous. Even Indica seems to be difficult to drive (let alone other long bonnet cars) for occassional driving!

I've noticed on road that several drivers lean forward during driving (in Indica, Esteem etc.)

On abroad, it is not so big problem as cars strictly follow lanes and distance between cars are quite wide.

But in Indian streets, where sometimes even walking is difficult, I find it quite annoying.

What you guys think of it?
Old 18th April 2006, 19:42   #2
BHPian

Initially I used to think like you are currently doing. I used to drive an Ambassador and graduated to a Santro and a Zen. Having driven these vehicles in the most conjested roads of India, all I can tell you that after sometime, it becomes a non-issue.

Don't think too much. Just drive, albeit carefully in the initial few months.
Old 18th April 2006, 19:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

While driving different cars, which Iam not used to, I maintain safer distance. I will move only to a distance where Iam sure it will not hit.

The original gap inbetween will be known when an auto guy on the side evaluates and attempts to pass other side. But after driving few kms, we can minimize the gap inbetween so that the autowalas dont get into it
Old 18th April 2006, 19:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I lean forward only during parking.

But yeah, if you are not used to the car than you need to be careful and maintain more clearance to traffic.
Old 18th April 2006, 20:18   #5
k36
BHPian

For me, migrating from M800 to Swift this is a bothering issue.

I've seen a number of cars with flagstaff kind of rod on the LHS front corner of the car. This is high enough to be visible to the driver. I suppose it is used primarily for judging the length of bonet.. any ideas on this?
Old 18th April 2006, 23:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is quite a big pain in cars like the NHC and even Palio to an extent.
In the palio and fiesta, you tend to develop a sense of judgement in a 2 - 3 weeks after which, everything becomes easy.
Cheers
Old 19th April 2006, 15:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

judgement errors usually happen only at parking speeds. the WORST car to park would be the cielo- no matter how much you lean, you still can't get inch-precision. the easiest has to be the reva.
Old 19th April 2006, 17:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
judgement errors usually happen only at parking speeds. the WORST car to park would be the cielo- no matter how much you lean, you still can't get inch-precision. the easiest has to be the reva.
You are wrong. The worst is Matiz. That car feels so big from inside but actually is very small. So when parking when you feel that if you move even a little you will touch another car. After getting out of car you find to be half cars length remaining.
This was one of the biggest reason why I hated driving Matiz during my car learning days.
Old 19th April 2006, 17:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
I've seen a number of cars with flagstaff kind of rod on the LHS front corner of the car. This is high enough to be visible to the driver. I suppose it is used primarily for judging the length of bonet.. any ideas on this?
You are right. That's the idea behind the flagstaff without the flag.
Some use a fog lamp mounted on the front bumper, for the same purpose - my friend has one on his zen.
Old 20th April 2006, 01:20   #10
elf
BANNED

Try using the hazards to park - they're usually at the extremities of your car & a good indicator(!) where your vehicle ends.

I've seen some cars have their hazards wired into their reverse lamp switches as well.

If your problem is not parking, & you can't judge the end of your car, you're doing something fundamentally wrong
Old 20th April 2006, 08:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mostly the error in judgement occurs at parking speeds....but the side rear view mirrors do help a lot in parking....Cielo was the toughest to judge while parking and 800 the easiest to drive n park...
Old 20th April 2006, 09:17   #12
BHPian

i think the worst car in reversing atleast is the skoda octavia..its impossible to see or have any idea how far to reverse..as the rear glass is at an angle where you cant see much behind..
i have not had a problem till date regarding the bonnet..infact i place my seat low..and thus even if a bonnet is easily visible..i still cant see it..though i agree.. with lamborghini that it does take sometime to get used to the assumption one has while driving a car
Old 20th April 2006, 09:36   #13
BHPian

Every once in a while, I drive my colleagues' cars and most of these cars do not let you see the bonnet. I had first thought (since my car is an 800) that it would be a major issue. In fact the first time I got into a Santro, it was in the middle of a huge 8PM jam and my friend had just lost his nerve and wanted someone else to take over. But it was pretty simple. When I suspected I was too close, I flicked in the light and the reflection on the back of the car in front indicated how far I was.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't affect my driving at all. Once u get used to driving cars like these, its a piece of cake.

And for those who graduate from an Ambassador or so, its gonna take a bit time to adjust. Other than that i don't think its an issue at all. If u know how to drive, it dosen't matter what kinda car ur in..
Old 20th April 2006, 14:37   #15
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Though I don't drive a car with a big bonnet. It won't affect my driving....
Its only in tight situations at almost standstill speeds that I would need to see the edges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks