Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:45   #16
BHPian

balancing/alignment for alloys on new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
6)whats the frequency at which this needs to be done

depends on the surface on which u drive. No need to do it before 5K kms on any account.
I have bought my Ford Fiesta about a month back and have driven it about 500kms till now... I have got the alloys wheels(aura) delivered to my home now and intend to replace the rims with them. Want to know:
1) can i replace the alloys now or i shud wait for some more time ? .e.g end of run-in period ?
2) if i change to alloys now, do i need to get the wheels aligned and balanced? or is it not required since its a new car?
3) approx cost of alignment+balancing+changing rim to alloys?

thanks in advance!
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:25   #17
BHPian

Alignment should be ~200
Balancing : 50-75 per wheel so about 200-300
Changing rin to alloys : Depends on the place you go to. Could range from free to 50 per wheel.

And yes, you do need to get the wheels balanced after changing rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libocta View Post
I have bought my Ford Fiesta about a month back and have driven it about 500kms till now... I have got the alloys wheels(aura) delivered to my home now and intend to replace the rims with them. Want to know:
1) can i replace the alloys now or i shud wait for some more time ? .e.g end of run-in period ?
2) if i change to alloys now, do i need to get the wheels aligned and balanced? or is it not required since its a new car?
3) approx cost of alignment+balancing+changing rim to alloys?

thanks in advance!
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
And yes, you do need to get the wheels balanced after changing rims.
Thanks aditya!
do i need to get wheel alignment also done on the new car once i fit the alloys?
Old 24th November 2008, 16:58   #19
BHPian

What all parameters are there in the process of alignment and balancing.
Like Camber, Caster, toe in...
What does they signify.
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:16   #20
BANNED

civic

I did my first wheel alignment as my car/civic crossed 6k (in one year). Service guys says, only 'toe' can be adjusted in civic, but not camber and caster. Is this true ?

During alignment, they put some jack kind of stuff between steering and seat to keep it up-tight. But does this applicable for cars with tilt steering ?.

And finally, my steering is position is bit turned to left, instead of straight. I went back, he adjusted it again.. but its still same. I know it can be rectified, and I will get it done on my next service with Honda.

I did this in XL tyre point, Anna Nagar, and not impressed. Rs 400.
Old 22nd February 2009, 20:03   #21
BHPian

Reliability of Wheel alignments done

Problem statement: Excess wear of back tyres - My tyres doesn't last more than 15K at rear. Its the 4th set of tyres due to replacement on my Baleno with 60K at odo.

I used to complain about this at every service (I do service at every 5K) and also insist on doing wheel balancing and alignment along with service. Every time I get the standard response that everything is alright.

Yesterday I visited the service center and requested them to investigate on this once again as I am planning to change the tyres again. Fortunately, they found the problem (I hope so) and told me there is a dent in 'rear shock absorber subframe' and the tyres are toed in by 20 mm.

The technician found the problem by just lifting the car and checking it visually. Later they did wheel alignment and confirmed the issue.

My worry is how come they didn't find this problem with all the wheel alignments they did every 5K. Because I have this problem for more than 3 years now.

My mistake: I never used to ask for the alignment results and verified it .
Request you all to check for the alignment results for any discrepancy every time you do that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks