Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 22:46   #1
BHPian

Smoke from Innova a/c

Hi all,

Last evening, while returning home from office, Toyota Innova started to generate smoke from engine which came through the a/c vents as well. There was heavy traffic, thus could not stop on the way as the temp gauge was also not showing any reason for any concern. At home, I verified the coolant and engine oil which was fine. The smell of thick smoke is a concern now, parked it outside as there is smell of rubber or plastic or even both. Have to find out in the morning or should visit the dealer tomorrow itself. Did any of you had similar experience from Innova diesel? What is wrong, as I don't see any signs of oil or coolant leak.? Would appreciate your advise or thoughts. Thanks.
Old 17th September 2012, 22:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Smoke from Innova a/c

Check if any of the belts are stuck in the pullleys and got burnt.
alstonvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 06:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you using fresh-air mode or re-circulation mode ?
Old 18th September 2012, 08:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

joommen, it is better to get it thoroughly checked at Toyota dealership and be present at the shop floor, rather than poking around for any issues. It is difficult to predict what could have gone wrong. Back in 2006, when my Innova was relatively new, I had experienced once this kind of behavior while we were touring outstation. Took her to nearest dealership for checkup. Spent couple of hours but couldn't deduce anything, nothing wrong was detected. After that till date, there has been no such incident.
Old 18th September 2012, 15:41   #5
BHPian

I have seen smoke in AC vents in my 2 months old Fiesta Classic but that is only for first couple of seconds after switching on. As I don't have ACC I keep switching ON / OFF the AC frequently on Long drives. Whenever I Switch ON I see Smoke coming through AC Vents for some 5 sec and works fine later on. This is also happening intermittently. What could be the reason ?
Old 18th September 2012, 16:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
I have seen smoke in AC vents in my 2 months old Fiesta Classic but that is only for first couple of seconds after switching on. As I don't have ACC I keep switching ON / OFF the AC frequently on Long drives. Whenever I Switch ON I see Smoke coming through AC Vents for some 5 sec and works fine later on. This is also happening intermittently. What could be the reason ?
Is it odorless. If so, then do not worry. Its just ¨mist¨
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 16:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is it odorless. If so, then do not worry. Its just ¨mist¨
Yes, Its odorless and not thick as well (Something you see when you open a refrigerator door). I have visited the dealership for rear cranking sound last month and I have also mentioned the same. They tried to test but it was all good, no smoke either.
Old 18th September 2012, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
Yes, Its odorless and not thick as well (Something you see when you open a refrigerator door). I have visited the dealership for rear cranking sound last month and I have also mentioned the same. They tried to test but it was all good, no smoke either.
Then its mist for sure. Hey, I used to do the same to control the cabin temperature i.e, by switching A/C ON and OFF. But passengers complained often when I do that, now I do it by adjusting the temperature knob and varying the blower speed. Try this method, it is much better.
Old 18th September 2012, 16:50   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Joommen,

The smell of rubber & plastic indicates that it could be an electrical burn too. You made a mistake by continuing to drive, but got away lucky. Please do get the vehicle thoroughly checked up by a Toyota dealership. Once they nail down on the problem, do update us as well.
Old 18th September 2012, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

One distant possibility can be someone burning plastic waste near the road. If the AC is on recirculation mode than this theory is not valid.
But still smoke coming from vents needs to be checked.
Old 18th September 2012, 18:43   #11
BHPian

I felt the same when I saw it in Safari, when traveling on dusty patches or with some vehicle overtaking you releasing a lot of smoke ahead of you. Changing the circulation mode to block outside air from entering stopped the apparent "smoke" instantly.

But always better to be cautious and have it checked if you don't think above was not the case with you.
Old 18th September 2012, 19:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

The smell you talk of is not of burning rubber or plastic. Please check again and confirm. It is similar to a burning smell though. Did you find the smoke really chilly? If yes, then it was mist. Open the windows on a sunny day.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:27   #13
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs, I did speak to a Toyota service engineer and then took the car to the nearest dealer. The issue was with the clutch, thankfully no damage. The technician advised to avoid half-clutch but switch over to first gear while in heavy slow moving traffic, which is a common phenomenon even in Whitefield these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks