Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2006, 20:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car Knocking at higher speeds please help

Hi all yesterday i took a trip to Agra with my wife. on the way to agra i had a stop at mathura and took a detour towards govardhan the roads were horrible there i paid 380 bucks for the alignment and balancing after that . But this is not my problem the trip towards agra was fine the car was running good but when i was comming back to delhi i was trying to overtake a zen at 110 km/hour and suddenly i started loosing power and the car started knocking as if the fuel was over but i knew that there was fuel as the car was full tank when i left delhi and looking at the millage i had more than half a tank of fuel. i stopped near a dhaba and threw some water on the radiator thinking that its hot but that was my worst mistake as the water was all over the engine and the car wont start finnaly some how i mannaged to get it started and soon i was good but the same thing started happening (i started loosing power and the car started knocking as if the fuel was over ) in a span of 2-3 kms and finally i came to know it is nither lack of fuel nor the car getting extra hot i took it to a local mechanic guy but that idot did not even know how to open the bonnet. I lost it when he was trying to bend the clips on the carb air filter lid so that it fits. soon i did some basic troubleshooting and found out that if i turn off the car and turn it back on the car is normal for 4-5 kms. so i started doing this and drove the car till delhi (201 kms). The first thing i did was to take the car to the service station and get it fixed they did not understand what was wrong so they changed the ignition coil cable now the problem is not there (i belive) but that dosent mean i am convinced please give me some expert advice .
Old 26th April 2006, 22:35   #2
BHPian

pramod, If the engine was failing..then it could be such and such reason's..I may not be accurate..!

1) Low Pick Up's- Usually the case of Fuel Filter going bad, MPFI Injection System needs cleaning, throttle needs cleaning, Fuel Pmp is not pumping the required amount for High speed intake..Some clog maybe...!

2) Engine Knocking- Maybe You din't buy clean fuel, I'm assuming that you went to your regular pump..but just if not- The quality of fuel also causes Knocking and performance drop.

3)You may want to drive down the faridabad - Agra Highway this Sunday or So to check if the problem reccurs...!

Deleted the PM you sent, I could do with the informattion again...!

regards,
Old 29th April 2006, 19:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey wolf thanks for the reply. i got the fuel filter checked looks fine . i got the fuel filled from a indian oil station which is the biggest and the oldest in CP (irvin Road Filling Station). They are known for their quality. and moreover i got my tank filled with extra premium which i always do. the symptoms were similar to a blockade in the fuel line but my engine never used to die even if i lost power it seems that more than one cylendrs were not firing hence the lose of power. it happened to me when i was comming back to delhi, arround 200 Kms from delhi and and my car mannaged to survive the distance and did not die on me completly. whenever this happened a simple turn of a key used to fix the problem(turning the igniton off and then on while the vehichle was running). so i suspect that it could be something wrong with either the spark plug or the ignition coil (i do not know). But hope it is something small cause i had spent more than 10k last month on it for a service and some new speakers. so if it is some thing major i do not know how to convince my wife . If any one else had faced simillar issues let me know and if the ignition coil or spark plugs fail what is the symptoms. please advice.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:02   #4
BHPian

Pramod, I hope the issue is resolved now..So did changing the Coil Solve it, BTW Did you also get the Spark Plugs changed also..!
Old 1st May 2006, 12:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am now frustrated this happens every now and then. when ever i increase the speed above 100 and stay there for say 5 kms then it starts knocking but if i reduce the speed at the very instance everything is fine so do not know what is wrong as got the coil cable changed got the petrol filter checked got the spark plugs checked. i dont know what is wrong i am confused now.
Old 1st May 2006, 19:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude..get the ignition coil checked..maybe this is happenin due to the ignition coil gettin hot..nd not supplyin enough current to the spark plug..thats why loosin power..even get the carb overhauled..my car was dyin on me...nd same like u loosin power...the carb was not supplyin enough fuel to the car..got the carb overahauled..nd voila the problem was solved..
Old 1st May 2006, 19:49   #7
jat
BHPian

The signs indicate fuel flow blockage. Could be carb, filter etc but seems more like filter. That is when the fuel flow is less than the fuel consumed, the engine will behave as your car tank is empty. When you reduce speed, the fuel flow balance is maintained and power come back. Initially, when you start, enough oil seeps through to maintain the power.

Your filter may have been blocked for long time without you noticing it as you never required power or you have suddenly changed fuel or added some additive which causes all the sludge deposits to come loose and foul the filter.

Or it could be carb as metioned by humyum.
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:07   #8
BHPian

Just try to rev up the car and check if the knoking comes at higher revs.

If there is problem in the fuel filter or carbs it should knock at higher revs, speed or no speed.

If it is not so, it may be the ignition coil. Next time it happens on ahigh speed run Stop the car with the engine running soak a piece of cloth in water and wrap it on the body of the ignition coil, taking care so that no water goes in it, and try to run it in high speed again. If the problem is with the Coil overheating, you will be able to cross ton before it happens again.

Happy troubleshooting.

P.S. I live in Shillong in Jungle of northeast. I have the experience of getting my dads Premier Padmini with a coil overheating problem back to home from Bawnkawn Using the water cloth, A distance over 500 Km
Old 3rd May 2006, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maan all this is very impressive and informative. My car was fine until it got it serviced they did a carb overhaul. They say the fuel filter is good and also said that the carb is doing good.I think it is a coil over heating problem as it happend to me after running the car for mare than 300 Kms. When i took my car to the local mechanic he said they actually do not change the coil until they are sure of the fact that the coil is gone bad. They told me that they will get me a service coil and I have to use it for a week when i am sure that there is no problem then i have to tell them every thing is fine and they will then recomend me to go to the dealer and get it . don't you guys think these people are insane. Belive me i have learnt few lessons in life i will never go to a local mechanic no matter whatever good reputation he has. can any one tell me do we have to pay the insurance guy for inspection before claiming for some damages because people told me that its better to ignore minor body damages because on an average if we spend 400 RS for denting and painting then we have to pay insurance guy 500 RS for inspection and then he will give us 100 Rupee check. Is this true i have never claimed insurance though i had this car for almost 4 years now. i have always recived a no claim bonous every time i go for a renewal. can any one throw some light on this
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:05   #10

Question. What is the base ignition timing set to? If the timing was messed with, meaning advanced this would cause knocking if you are running poor fuel. I would check that out.

-Brian
Old 6th May 2006, 13:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply TruPsi i went to the maruti guy and even he said that it may be a ignition timing issue i will take my car the the workshop on sunday. And for the fuel i use extra premium or speed nothing else. i got the fuel filter checked and i shows no problems.
Old 6th May 2006, 21:21   #12
BHPian

well if its a minor job, you're better off paying and getting it done yourself..or else leave it for a later date...But Yes if its something major or something which will throw your balance sheet way off..then claim it from Insurance...Which in anyway will cover only a part of the total damage..100 % On Paint and Labour , 50 % on Plastic , 30 % Depriciation on Metals ( This I'm not very sure)
What most likely appears is the Ignition Coil..!
regards
Old 8th May 2006, 01:05   #13
ECM
BHPian

which car you have dear Pramod?

It is 100% electrical issue,I advise you to change all spark plugs and even alternator if all fails coz I have seen one esteem having a same probe in recent times and that guy had probe in his alternator.(he suffered for 10 days to solve this probe for your info),Do let me know your car model,fuel type(Hope you are not using LPG),total KMs of run you had so far.I wish you all the best.
Old 8th May 2006, 11:10   #14
BHPian

Pramod, You didnot mention your what car it is. Anyway I agree with most of the guys that the ignition timings are one good place to check for.
As you mentioned knocking might be the reason because of higher octance fuel. Some engines dont need higher octance fuel and if used will result in engine knocking.. check with your dealer for the octane percent to be used for ur car.

Next time use the normal 87 octance for ur car and drive it. Iam sure the problem will be gone.
Other precaution could be to get your fuel tank and the lines cleaned.. usually there is rust/dust formed and when on high speed there will be greater activity in the fuel tank which allows all sediments/particles to raise up and start blocking the feeding lines ..

so it practically is all to do with the octane used and cleaner tank/lines

Last edited by four_tire : 8th May 2006 at 11:11.
Old 10th May 2006, 17:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Got the tapits checked got the spark plugs checked one of the spark plug used was a wrong one( used in scooters) but the mechanic said this is used because of more oil consumption. i used extra premium petrol before now i use speed( not the 97 octane) and the problem still persists. the knowcking happens at 5th gear some where at 90-110 kms/h. i am having a very hard time with this car as i just paid 3500 bucks for a minor paint job and paid 1000 Rs for A/C servicing now i have completly lost my calm . Its now ok because no mechanic is able to understand this issue. they do their bit but still i have the same problem. thanks for your responce guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks