Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:41   #1
BHPian

Body roll and G-force

I had an opportunity to drive and corner rapidly in the parking lot of a mall recently. I had started BMW M Meter app to calculate top speed and G-force (G-force and lateral G-force).

Though the app shows max G-force of 2.4 and lateral G-force of 1.2, I did not have noticeable body roll during cornering. Also, as can be seen from the graphs, max G-forces are experienced not at the time of acceleration, but during cornering (most probably). Can I interpret lateral G-force as body roll?

I had tested the G-force earlier during drives on highways. I had experiences max G-force of 1.9 and max lateral G-force of 1.7. Again, these were not during acceleration/deceleration. So, most probably during cornering.

Can somebody throw more light on how G-forces apply to road cars.

Mods: I did not find a relevant thread for this. If there is any, please merge.
Attached Thumbnails
Body roll and G-force-img_1707.png  

Body roll and G-force-img_1708.png  

Body roll and G-force-img_1709.png  

Body roll and G-force-img_1710.png  

Old 3rd October 2012, 20:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Body roll and G-force

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I had an opportunity to drive and corner rapidly in the parking lot of a mall recently. I had started BMW M Meter app to calculate top speed and G-force (G-force and lateral G-force).
First things first - Testing G-force around a parking lot, not something I would prefer to do or even the highways are not meant for personal experiments. Please use a race track for testing.

G-force is just the amount of gravitational pull your body experiences when the centrifugal force(while going around a corner) tries to push you away from the centre, add a body roll of the vehicle with it, will add more woes to your G's. During this, you will feel heavier and blood rushes to your brain more than necessary and at very high G's (what fighter pilots experience) leads to some thing called Red out and when doing negative G's brain gets deprived of oxgen and blood hence leads to blackout or you fainting.

Once again, Never try them on public roads or public places for your personal as well as safety of others!
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 08:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Body roll and G-force

Here is how Audi contains body roll in its Audi SQ7.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks