Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 20:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem with the accelerator pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Nice to see you after a long time.

If there is any slack in the cable then why would this happen just once in a while? Also why would you need a cable, why not just put the sensor directly at the pedal (may be issues related to optimal position for TPS?)

I don't have an OBD reader and unfortunately I wouldn't be in Delhi when my sister takes it to the workshop. I will try to tell her what to do, but she doesn't understand electronics at all, it will take a few hours just to explain what is ECU.

By the way, I noticed another thing just 30min. ago. In my Figo the Engine Immobolizer light flickers once every 5-6 seconds or so when the car is locked. In her Figo right now it is flickering every second, if not faster ! I noticed when I took my daughter for a walk.

I will tell her to at the very least get her firmware reset/ugraded to GD version. The problem may be related to the Figo turning off problem in some way and may be the Firmware change can help.

By the way @Dhanush - would you know whether Figo/Ikon/Fiesta TPS is Hall effect type or potentiometer type?
TPS is usually a potentiometer located on the throttle body.

Regarding the slack, at certain angles (uphill in your case), the cable might become unsupported due to some reason, causing it to bend and take up slack instead of transferring the force to the TB.

I still don't know if the Figo has DBW or cable actuated throttle body, so my suggestion might be completely irrelevant if the Figo has DBW.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th October 2012 at 14:15. Reason: As requested
pranavt is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 13:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
TPS is usually a potentiometer located on the throttle body.

Regarding the slack, at certain angles (uphill in your case), the cable might become unsupported due to some reason, causing it to bend and take up slack instead of transferring the force to the TB.

I still don't know if the Figo has DBW or cable actuated throttle body, so my suggestion might be completely relevant if the Fico has DBW.

UPDATE: sister gave the car to workshop today, I'm already back in Hyderabad so couldn't go with her, but sent my dad's driver.

They are now looking at the ECU logs, the TPS and TBM (my sister told me on phone, I'm assuming TBM is throttle body). Apparently her car is recall car.

I also asked her to get them to check the throttle cable - if they say there is no such cable, we will know whether it is DBW.

I did some search on the internet and while the answer is still not clear it seems the Ford Fiesta/Figo TPS is potentiometer type as @pranavt has been suggesting. I guess they are saving money (wouldn't fault them for it though, they are ultimately saving customers' money)

I'll update later what was and was not found to be the cause of the problem, but one thing for everyone -

My sister has already complained to the workshop quite a few times and they had neglected it every time. What different this time? She asked to complain in writing and lo and behold they are telling her that her's is a recall car. When in doubt, put your complaint in writing.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

@vina---what service center does your sister get her car serviced in? Do ask them to get a thorough scan done.

As far as the Fiesta (now Classic) is concerned, it has certainly a 'drive-by-wire' throttle system. I guess it should be the same with the Figo.
Old 9th October 2012, 22:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also asked her to get them to check the throttle cable - if they say there is no such cable, we will know whether it is DBW.
Vina, the Figo and the Fiesta is DBW.
Quote:
They are now looking at the ECU logs, the TPS and TBM (my sister told me on phone, I'm assuming TBM is throttle body). Apparently her car is recall car.
And, did they find anything? Can you request them to send you the error codes? My guess is it was p2135/p2176. Cos, I have heard these are the ones that show up when there is throttle response problems.

Also, Vina, was it raining or was the engine bay wet/previously when the problem occurred? If so, it should be a temporary problem and I have faced it many times in Fiesta.
Quote:
@Dhanush - would you know whether Figo/Ikon/Fiesta TPS is Hall effect type or potentiometer type?
Sorry, I do not know. :(
Old 10th October 2012, 00:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Vina, the Figo and the Fiesta is DBW.
And, did they find anything? Can you request them to send you the error codes? My guess is it was p2135/p2176. Cos, I have heard these are the ones that show up when there is throttle response problems.

Also, Vina, was it raining or was the engine bay wet/previously when the problem occurred? If so, it should be a temporary problem and I have faced it many times in Fiesta.

Sorry, I do not know. :(
I can ask my sister to find out what error codes they got, but I'm not sure she will understand the question, let alone get the answer.

The first few times she got the problem was at the height of monsoons, and she got the same reply - it will go away.

However it hasn't rained in weeks in Delhi and certainly not for two days before we encountered it. There is no question of humidity.

Where she parks the car there is a lot of dust (construction going on in the neighbour's house) - can that be a factor?
Old 10th October 2012, 00:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first few times she got the problem was at the height of monsoons, and she got the same reply - it will go away...

...Where she parks the car there is a lot of dust (construction going on in the neighbour's house) - can that be a factor?
Yes, so, I'm sure its the connector issue in the TB. Vina get the TPS, and all the associated wiring checked. It is quite vulnerable in the Fiesta/Figo. I'm sure the problem will be sorted out.

EDIT: IIRC, the exact problem is called EAC issue (Electronic Accelerator Control)

Last edited by dhanushs : 10th October 2012 at 00:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks