Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 12:36   #46
BANNED

Got you Honda!

Honda does not have any mention of 3 month /5000km service for the Brio. No free service voucher either.

Got the routine follow up call from Honda after the one month inspection. The lady mentioned that the next service is due in March! I asked her to check the wall chart in front of her, and see that there is no 'minor' service anywhere for the Brio.

Now I am looking forward to a call in March. They never learn!

I wonder how many customers get conned into the 3 month /5000km nonsense!
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:48   #47
BANNED

Re: Got you Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Honda does not have any mention of 3 month /5000km service for the Brio. No free service voucher either.

Now I am looking forward to a call in March. They never learn!

I wonder how many customers get conned into the 3 month /5000km nonsense!
In the case of MASS here the service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000km. Here it has become an habit for the service heads to call and keep reminding of 'minor' service to be done at 5000km. I just don't understand their urge.

I have got their calls a couple of time but when strongly opposed they stopped calling. Since I get my car serviced every 3 months it is not a problem anyway. Another call that I used to get is for the 9 point service checks every 5000km.

Best part I have seen on a new Swift with 8000km on its ODO. The service advisor is says "Saar, your clutch is gone and mileage is low so you will have to change it else you will complain of low mileage in diesel car"

Anurag.
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:35   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Recommended Service Intervals & Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
My experience with Toyota -very new & so far- has been very good. Infact after the completion of first 1500kms, I volunteered on my own for an engine oil change in my Innova and the service adviser quietly pressed on me 3-4 times that Toyota doesn't recommend the practice and that an oil change every 10k kms is suffice to keep my Innova in good stead.

Overall its still early days, but I found that the Toyota guys so far have been verbatim sticklers to the owner manual of my Innova.
Same experience here when I changed the engine oil with OEM mineral after about 1400 kms. I was told it was not recommended but I insisted and they did it for me.

Yes they do not try and con you into getting your car for a minor checkup and stick to the annual service interval. It's quite a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Agree- I have experienced Toyota, Hyundai, Maruti and Fiat services and the Toyota service stands out
+1

Of all the cars I have owned Toyota's after sales is the best. It will be difficult for me to adapt to any lower quality of service. Which is why I think twice about buying a VAG car especially that 4 wheeled horror Skoda (sorry Skoda owners but you know why).
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:32   #49
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I won a Indica Vista. Service interval is 10K with oil change.
Concorde guy refused to change oil at 5K, 2nd service stating oil change is 3rd service at 10K.

Recently i was thinking of changing the car ( after 5 years and 62K) checked Mahindra.

I was really surprised to see the fine print.
Oil Change is at 15 K interval if one is using Mahindra maximiles oil. otherwise it is 10K

Another surprise is Service is at every 5 K intervals and oil change at 15 K interval

Service charge is 1450/- as against 1250 for TATA and 1000 for Toyota

So for 15K running one has to pay 4350 as service charge for Mahindra vehicle, especially if it is in warranty. which is very steep

This one particular issue has stopped me from making decision in their favor

Last edited by rkg : 2nd December 2012 at 14:33.
Old 4th December 2012, 14:54   #50
BHPian

I have taken my little SPARK for service today. It has done 60,000 km and it 4 years and 9 months old now. The service chap said, I have to replace the timing belt as it "has a specific life". But I do not have any issues with the car. It costs 7,000 Rupees. I am not even sure, if the fellow will replace it and if they do, I do not know if they will do it properly. This is Trident in Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore.

What do you advise?
Old 4th December 2012, 18:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart
I have taken my little SPARK for service today. It has done 60,000 km and it 4 years and 9 months old now. The service chap said, I have to replace the timing belt as it "has a specific life". But I do not have any issues with the car. It costs 7,000 Rupees. I am not even sure, if the fellow will replace it and if they do, I do not know if they will do it properly. This is Trident in Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore.

What do you advise?
Check the service manual. I think recommended belt change interval will probably be 80 thousand kms.

But timing belt change is very important and need to be a scheduled change.
carbookie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 20:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

I feel that 60K is too early for a petrol engine to demand a timing belt change. I think that as carbookie pointed out, it would be somewhere in the vicinity of 80K. Also, the healthy life of a belt is usually 6 years but since yours is only about 5, I think it can safely do another year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post

What do you advise?
Old 4th December 2012, 21:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I feel that 60K is too early for a petrol engine to demand a timing belt change. I think that as carbookie pointed out, it would be somewhere in the vicinity of 80K. Also, the healthy life of a belt is usually 6 years but since yours is only about 5, I think it can safely do another year or two.
The manual says 60k or 6 years whichever comes early. So I am good. My little Spark should be well settled for next 60k, once I change it, as per the manual.
Old 4th December 2012, 22:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart

The manual says 60k or 6 years whichever comes early. So I am good. My little Spark should be well settled for next 60k, once I change it, as per the manual.
Then get it changed.

While you are at it, get the accessories belts also changed. Also remember this job is all about labor. The parts are very cheap. If you want to get it done cheap, you can consider a trusted garage.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

I used to get the car serviced every 5 thousand kilometres with an oil change. Now the running is so high and purely highway, I am getting oil changed every 10 thousand km with a service and its running just fine. I have a Swift Diesel btw and oil used is Mobil Delvac.

In between every 2.5 thousand kilometres I open the air filter box and clean the air filter myself and that's about it.
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:43   #56
BHPian

My wife drives our 2011 Hyundai i10 automatic. Its driven very less, about 3200 kms per year.

The service schedule in the i10 manual talks only about km-based service schedule, no time-based. That is, Hyundai seems to be suggesting only 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, etc service; but not any 1 Yr, 2 Yr, 3 Yr, 4 Yr, etc services. Is this ok?

It does have one section that says what individual items I should check/replace (eg. replace automatic transaxle fluid every 40K kms). But I cant be expected to tell item-by-item to the svc advisor. Its better if there are packaged svc names for every milestone.

Nevertheless, considering that the driving pattern fell under the "severe" usage criteria (as opposed to "normal" usage) per the manual due to short stop-and-go trips within city and dusty roads, I decided to do oil change every 5000 kms or 6 mths whichever is earlier (I firmly believe that the least one should do for the vehicle is timely oil changes).

I have long since been discarding dealer tele calls for svc as I am convinced that they are purely for fleecing customers, so I cant go by their suggestion.

Now our i10 has done 17000 kms over the past 5 years, and I notice that all I've done since 2011 is the oil changes and one sole 10,000 km service more than 2 years ago. I have this nagging feeling that I might be neglecting some important services.

Is it enough if I wait for the i10 to complete 20K kms (which will take nearly a year from now, the car will be a 6 yr old car by then) before doing a 20K service?

In the US, I recall they (Honda at least) used terms like Minor svc, medium svc and major svc. The cadence would be Minor, Medium, Minor, Major and the cycle repeats. The interval bween any 2 svcs being 7,500 miles or 6 mths whichever is earlier. This made a lot of sense.

But now I am confused.

Any advice?

Last edited by vharihar : 23rd March 2016 at 09:58.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:23   #57
BHPian

Service schedule of less driven cars; Km-based vs Time-based

My wife drives our 2011 Hyundai i10 automatic. Its driven very less, about 3200 kms per year.

The service schedule in the i10 manual talks only about km-based service schedule, no time-based. That is, Hyundai seems to be suggesting only 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, etc service; but not any 1 Yr, 2 Yr, 3 Yr, 4 Yr, etc services. Is this ok?

It does have one section that says what individual items I should check/replace (eg. replace automatic transaxle fluid every 40K kms). But I cant be expected to tell item-by-item to the svc advisor. Its better if there are packaged svc names for every milestone.

Nevertheless, considering that the driving pattern fell under the "severe" usage criteria (as opposed to "normal" usage) per the manual due to short stop-and-go trips within city and dusty roads, I decided to do oil change every 5000 kms or 6 mths whichever is earlier (I firmly believe that the least one should do for the vehicle is timely oil changes).

I have long since been discarding dealer tele calls for svc as I am convinced that they are purely for fleecing customers, so I cant go by their suggestion.

Now our i10 has done 17000 kms over the past 5 years, and I notice that all I've done since 2011 is the oil changes and one sole 10,000 km service more than 2 years ago. I have this nagging feeling that I might be neglecting some important services.

Is it enough if I wait for the i10 to complete 20K kms (which will take nearly a year from now, the car will be a 6 yr old car by then) before doing a 20K service?

In the US, I recall they (Honda at least) used terms like Minor svc, medium svc and major svc. The cadence would be Minor, Medium, Minor, Major and the cycle repeats. The interval bween any 2 svcs being 7,500 miles or 6 mths whichever is earlier. This made a lot of sense.

But now I am confused. In general how do I handle this? I feel odd going up to svc advisor at 17K kms mileage and asking for a 30K service!!

Any advice?
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Change the oil once every year at least even if the car is not driven much. Ignore the manual in this case.

I change oil every 5k if its mineral or semi synthetic. 10k if full synthetic.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:42   #59
BHPian

Re: Service schedule of less driven cars; Km-based vs Time-based

Its good that you are doing the periodic oil change.

I also have a sparingly used Ford Ikon Flair 2005 - done 30K Km in 10 years.

Apart from engine oil change, what I followed is
- Change brake fluid : every 2 years
- Change power steering fluid : every 3 years
- Change engine coolant : every year
- Engine Belt changed after 5 years
- Brake Pads changed every 3 years

Additionally thorough inspection for any leaks, cracked hoses etc every year.

Last edited by Ravindra M : 23rd March 2016 at 13:48. Reason: spelling correction
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Service schedule of less driven cars; Km-based vs Time-based

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Pls re-check the owner's manual. The bet would be on missing the time interval.

If you were to convert the miles to km, and also read the manual again, you may have noticed that there is not much difference in the frequency that is followed in US and here.

Coming to things on hand - pls get at least the oil changed asap. You are overdue by a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks